Why women don't like you "nice guys"

NTNG

I used to be a carpenter for a living, or rather, I was a laborer on a small crew of carpenters. I know that feeling. You really knew when you'd done something, and that was when you cleaned up at the end of the day. I had a hard time sometimes explaining to my roommate in the grey-flanneled suit that I didn't shower in the morning because my job meant, I showered at NIGHT.

On the other hand - the reason I never became a full-fledged carpenter is that even after several years - I just plain sucked at it. I couldn't measure or cut out a stringer, even if I spent three times the time a normal carpenter did. No matter how carefully I did things, it just looked like crap.

I can replace outlets, but I can't rewire the attic. I can fix the toilet completely, but I don't have any ability at sealing any of the pipes. I can change the oil and lights, but I've TRIED to fix the transmission or replace a head gasket. And it cost me. I've tried to de-solder circuit boards - and fried them. And then paid dearly to replace them, when I could have paid someone ELSE less to fix it.

It's really, really a good thing I never became the surgeon my parents wanted me to be - I'd have been quickly been assigned to autopsies.

As Clint said, a man's got to know his limitations. I've fixed the riding mower, and I've hung cabinets. But I pay to do my plumbing, flooring, drywall and the like. It isn't aversion to hard work. I've done that. It's economics. Do I try to do it myself and pay twice as much, or just recognize (or learn from past effort) that I suck at it, and find the guy who can do it cheapest?

Amen!

Been working hard and at tough/dirty jobs most of my young life. Taught myself alot because I just couldn't afford to have someone else do it. Toughest job was working at an oyster farm. Incredibly dirty, smelly and back-breaking. Out on the docks spraying down bins at 6am on a frozen February morning, to standing out in the sun on 90+ degree days with no relief. But it was also the best job I ever had. Learned alot about myself and the world.

It was a nice change-up to get a cushy job working with computers, but still did all my own work at home.

Today, I am comfortably retired and can afford to have someone do it for me, but still prefer to do most of it myself.

On the list: renovate 3 rooms in the house, including a complete down-to-studs kitchen overhaul, re-wire a friends garage and run a line out to power his hot tub, lots of other projects like that now that I have time.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Been working hard and at tough/dirty jobs most of my young life. Taught myself alot because I just couldn't afford to have someone else do it. Toughest job was working at an oyster farm. Incredibly dirty, smelly and back-breaking. Out on the docks spraying down bins at 6am on a frozen February morning, to standing out in the sun on 90+ degree days with no relief. But it was also the best job I ever had. Learned alot about myself and the world.

It was a nice change-up to get a cushy job working with computers, but still did all my own work at home.

Today, I am comfortably retired and can afford to have someone do it for me, but still prefer to do most of it myself.

On the list: renovate 3 rooms in the house, including a complete down-to-studs kitchen overhaul, re-wire a friends garage and run a line out to power his hot tub, lots of other projects like that now that I have time.

:high5: you rock!!!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
No woman wants a mewling, inept, groveling, submissive male that has given up his ability to think for himself just to kiss your ass as a partner. I know I don’t.

this reminds me of an article I read on dating some yrs ago,

... guys if you are going to ask me out on a date, unless I state I want to go to X to Eat Y .... have a plan, I do not want to have to think for the evening .. except entree and drink choices .....

JeJeTe

Happiness
this reminds me of an article I read on dating some yrs ago,

... guys if you are going to ask me out on a date, unless I state I want to go to X to Eat Y .... have a plan, I do not want to have to think for the evening .. except entree and drink choices .....

Pretty much...

SamSpade

. have a plan, I do not want to have to think for the evening .. except entree and drink choices .....

Hell, have a back-up plan. Way too many times headed to what I thought would be a fun thing or a good restaurant, only for her to shoot it down without suggesting an alternative.

ZARA

Hell, have a back-up plan. Way too many times headed to what I thought would be a fun thing or a good restaurant, only for her to shoot it down without suggesting an alternative.

Well, that's where asking her what food she likes, what her favorite is, what she doesn't like, etc comes into play before the date.

I love Chinese food and new(ish) movies but hate theaters. Hub's learned this during a conversation before our first date. Our first date...Take out Chinese and Blockbuster video. We snuggled on the couch, ate, and enjoyed a movie. Don't ask me what we watched because I don't remember. LMAO

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
IDK dude, you post a lot of crap about celebrities...definitely makes me question your man card.

:killingme

just crap I stumble across on the interwebz

when I was 16 I said I never wanted to push papers .... ask what I do now :faint:

4 yrs in the Infantry ...
6 yrs working as Plumber
18 months as an Electricians Helper / Laborer
9 months as a Carpenters Helper [measure twice cut once ... if you are going to be wrong, be long .. you can always trim it again]
UPS Driver [in Lex Park in 1990]
Spent a Summer fixing cars ....

I could never afford top pay $ 40 bucks an hour for someone to fix my car so I learned to do it myself, and I drove 69 - 72 VW Beetles for many yrs.

I am currently replacing the brakes on my 96 Wifes, Bronco - All of the Steel lines [one rusted through], rubber hoses, Wheel Cylinders, Shoes and Assorted Hardware

:buddies:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Because you don't know how to freaking act. None of you.

You asked me for a drink. I accepted and we set a day and time. Then you proceeded to blow up my phone with minute long VMs and rapidfire texting, including pics of your pets doing cute things. We haven't even had our first date yet and I already know I don't want to see you again.

We met casually and you asked me for my number. I gave it to you and you waited a couple days to call and ask me to dinner. So far, so good. We went to dinner and had a nice time. The next day you asked me if I wanted to do something that evening, and I told you no because I already had plans. You got pissy and asked, "Oh, what, you have some other guy on the line?" like you have a right to be jealous of anything I do. After one date.

We were friends, casually dated a few times, then one night you decided to lay a liplock on me out of the blue, although I didn't not indicate that you should do so or encourage it in any way. I ducked out of it, laughed, played it off, and sent you out the door. The next day you sent me an embarrassingly sexual text specifying the effect that non-kiss had on you and how you would like to follow it up.

You may be "nice" but you have no social skills to speak of. You come across as needy and pathetic, expecting too much WAY too soon. This is why women don't want to date you and prefer the "aholes" who go out regularly, are self-confident, and know how this stuff is supposed to go down.

PS, I don't blow you off because I'm playing hard to get. I blow you off because I'm not interested. That you decided to assert yourself and "take charge" when I told you I wasn't interested just made me out and out not like you.

So now you "nice guys" know why aholes get laid and you don't.

So, vraiblonde, do you strive to be a "nice girl"?

Vince

Bah. As long as it's not major, like a marriage or something, it's even fun to wallow in a "broken" heart. I tend not to like guys who don't like me for very long. It's fun to chase after them, but if they give me too much runaround I lose interest. After I wallow for a bit, that is.

Why, Fabio??? Why don't you want me???? :cds:
Yes, I've often asked myself why Jane Seymour never asked me out. :drama: She's still hot by the way.

Toxick

Splat

It's a test.

She's finding out if you're prepared and/or a fast thinker.

sockgirl77

:killingme

just crap I stumble across on the interwebz

when I was 16 I said I never wanted to push papers .... ask what I do now :faint:

4 yrs in the Infantry ...
6 yrs working as Plumber
18 months as an Electricians Helper / Laborer
9 months as a Carpenters Helper [measure twice cut once ... if you are going to be wrong, be long .. you can always trim it again]
UPS Driver [in Lex Park in 1990]
Spent a Summer fixing cars ....

I could never afford top pay $ 40 bucks an hour for someone to fix my car so I learned to do it myself, and I drove 69 - 72 VW Beetles for many yrs.

I am currently replacing the brakes on my 96 Wifes, Bronco - All of the Steel lines [one rusted through], rubber hoses, Wheel Cylinders, Shoes and Assorted Hardware

:buddies:
You have or have had 96 wives? Funny thing is that you've bashed a successful business owner on here but look at your ####ing resume!

SamSpade

It's a test.

She's finding out if you're prepared and/or a fast thinker.

Just about HALF the time, she had to be prepared for a shortened evening and no phone call. It really depended on how snarky she was about it.If she was whiny or snippy about it, I was usually just hoping it would end quickly.

I generally had the idea, when I was dating, was that your date was at least marginally trying to be on their best behavior. So if they proved to be a serious ass at any time, you can bet that a relationship meant a whole lot of that stuff.

My wife wanted to go to a movie on our first date, and I picked it - a really scary movie. I learned about a month later that she hates (and still does) those kind of movies. But she never said a thing. Among the reasons I married her.