Why women don't like you "nice guys"

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I coddle my son to some extent too. There is nothing more precious than the mother/son bond. But we are also supposed to let them skin their knees and do things that may not be 100% safe, and they should be taught to pick their battles and defend themselves when necessary, they should be made to do chores and figure out how things work and how they break... etc.

In general, our society frowns upon those things now... heck, there was even an attempt to put laws into place that would prevent kids from helping their parents out on a farm below the age of 14.

Can't remember if it's Popular Mechanics, or Popular Science but Mike Rowe wrote a VERY good piece this month about just this.. How our MEN (and women) are taught NOT to get dirty, NOT to work hard.. EVERYTHING is based on going to college and "working Smart, NOT hard" and vocational skills, and hard work are a negative. Vocational schools are considered "Alternative Education" then he mentions people he met doing Dirty Jobs that are MILLIONAIRES doing VERY dirty jobs.. The Cow-Poo Pots being one of them.. the other was a pig farmer (who was offered $75M for his operation and turned it down!)

Skills as simple as changing a tire, or changing oil..

Or building a chicken coop... go little Bubba! :clap:

I already witnessed a sample of the boys that come out of that family and they are definitely boys who become men. No doubt in my mind Bubba will not only be able to work smart, but work hard and get dirty too. :yay:

He will be a good man some day... and the love and respect he has for his mother will help to make him a good husband too.

We just don't expect that of boys anymore these days...:ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Can't remember if it's Popular Mechanics, or Popular Science but Mike Rowe wrote a VERY good piece this month about just this.. How our MEN (and women) are taught NOT to get dirty, NOT to work hard.. EVERYTHING is based on going to college and "working Smart, NOT hard" and vocational skills, and hard work are a negative. Vocational schools are considered "Alternative Education" then he mentions people he met doing Dirty Jobs that are MILLIONAIRES doing VERY dirty jobs.. The Cow-Poo Pots being one of them.. the other was a pig farmer (who was offered $75M for his operation and turned it down!)

If my business is going to recover, it is because I made a deliberate decision about 2 years ago that I needed to be much more hands on. I ache, my hands are rough, cuts, bruises, scars, I even do some of the mowing but, things are, tentatively, heading in the right direction.

There is just something you can't replace about doing the work. Being part of that and I sleep like a rock every night. Hard work feels good. Especially when you stop for the day. :lol:

The rich guys I know, are all smarter than me, stronger than me and wiser than me. Two of them are basically retired and loving life but, were both hands on guys. The other is still working because he loves it but, I worry about his health and he's a clean hands guy.

Something to it. For damn sure. I am healthier than I was three years ago. By a long ways.

:buddies:

lucky_bee

RBF expert

I can joke all I want about preferring a man who owns a tool belt, knows how to use said tool belt, and changes my oil instead of buying me flowers...but there's really an underlying reason for that. I tend to like those men bc they're in those "dirty jobs". And those jobs produce certain men. They tend to be hard-working, (some-what) humble, have common sense (at least as far as a man can handle :killingme), they make decent money, they usually understand the value of a dollar bc they've literally and physically worked their way up... I hate that people look down on these jobs. First off, someone's gotta do them. Secondly, it takes a certain someone to do them and I just prefer the personalities of those someones. :shrug:

Not having to pay for house repairs is just a bonus :yahoo:

JeJeTe

Happiness
I can joke all I want about preferring a man who owns a tool belt, knows how to use said tool belt, and changes my oil instead of buying me flowers...but there's really an underlying reason for that. I tend to like those men bc they're in those "dirty jobs". And those jobs produce certain men. They tend to be hard-working, (some-what) humble, have common sense (at least as far as a man can handle :killingme), they make decent money, they usually understand the value of a dollar bc they've literally and physically worked their way up... I hate that people look down on these jobs. First off, someone's gotta do them. Secondly, it takes a certain someone to do them and I just prefer the personalities of those someones. :shrug:

It's like we have the same brain. :huggy:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Does that tool belt come with a plumbers crack?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Does that tool belt come with a plumbers crack?

:nono: Plumbers can make very good money.

:lmao: Somewhat physically fit is on the list too. I may make you some fried chicken, you ain't eating like that every day of the week. If I gotta watch my weight, so do you, bubba.

SamSpade

There is just something you can't replace about doing the work. Being part of that and I sleep like a rock every night. Hard work feels good. Especially when you stop for the day.

I used to be a carpenter for a living, or rather, I was a laborer on a small crew of carpenters. I know that feeling. You really knew when you'd done something, and that was when you cleaned up at the end of the day. I had a hard time sometimes explaining to my roommate in the grey-flanneled suit that I didn't shower in the morning because my job meant, I showered at NIGHT.

On the other hand - the reason I never became a full-fledged carpenter is that even after several years - I just plain sucked at it. I couldn't measure or cut out a stringer, even if I spent three times the time a normal carpenter did. No matter how carefully I did things, it just looked like crap.

I can replace outlets, but I can't rewire the attic. I can fix the toilet completely, but I don't have any ability at sealing any of the pipes. I can change the oil and lights, but I've TRIED to fix the transmission or replace a head gasket. And it cost me. I've tried to de-solder circuit boards - and fried them. And then paid dearly to replace them, when I could have paid someone ELSE less to fix it.

It's really, really a good thing I never became the surgeon my parents wanted me to be - I'd have been quickly been assigned to autopsies.

As Clint said, a man's got to know his limitations. I've fixed the riding mower, and I've hung cabinets. But I pay to do my plumbing, flooring, drywall and the like. It isn't aversion to hard work. I've done that. It's economics. Do I try to do it myself and pay twice as much, or just recognize (or learn from past effort) that I suck at it, and find the guy who can do it cheapest?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:nono: Plumbers can make very good money.

:lmao: Somewhat physically fit is on the list too. I may make you some fried chicken, you ain't eating like that every day of the week. If I gotta watch my weight, so do you, bubba.

I know they do. :lol: