Zimmerman arrested...

Did you know he was arrested that night?

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who?

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mitzi

A neighborhood watch is instigating? So, now, if a cop pulls me over and I start attacking him, he instigated it, right? If someone asks me what I am doing in their garage looking around, I can attack them for instigating? How about if I am in their bedroom? At what point are we allowed to start objecting?

This kid was in a gated community that had been suffering crime. Typically, at least with people who care and aren't scared to death, they take action usually in the form of some sort of elevated 'keeping an eye out'. Zimmerman deserves to be applauded for being MAN enough to care about HIS neighborhood and be on the lookout. That he didn't follow some textbook rules to the letter is absurd and besides the point. We are, some are, trying to establish, as law, that you are not ALLOWED to ask me what's up if you are suspicious. Retreat! Back in your homes! Hide! Call the cops! Let someone else do the dirty work!!!

Think about that.

Okay, I see your point. Calling 911 is the thing to do. I get the impression that Zimmerman was following him which he should not have done. 911 advised against it. By that I mean instigating. Had Martin been a violent criminal, Zimmerman could have been easily shot dead. All in all, just a bad situation.

mitzi

The morning after the shooting, Zimmerman did return to the scene with police and helped them reconstruct the incident. Witnesses seem to be coming out of the woodwork claiming each of them was the one yelling and now these voice experts are contradicting each other.

I heard on the news that they went back yesterday. You're right about all the contradictions. Too many leaks, etc.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I heard on the news that they went back yesterday. You're right about all the contradictions. Too many leaks, etc.

They may have went back yesterday. I haven't heard that. If so, yesterday's visit would be in addition to the one they did the morning of Feb 27th.

mitzi

That's besides the point. There will be strangers in places they don't 'belong' but, are not a threat, all the time. The entire premise of this thing from one side is that it is illegitimate to patrol your own turf when people know damn well gangsters do it ALL the time and for the same reasons; to protect yourself and your stuff. This kid looked suspicious to someone with experience with that sort of thing. :shrug:

What have I missed? What experience with that sort of thing did Zimmerman have other than any other average citizen?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What have I missed? What experience with that sort of thing did Zimmerman have other than any other average citizen?

I'm not the smartest kid on my block but I'd still like to think that I could and would spot someone acting suspicously in my neighborhood and would also like to think I would be a bit more 'alert' and on the lookout for anyone remotely suspicious if a) I was on neighborhood watch patrol and b) I knew there were recurring problems with crime in that neighborhood.

mitzi

I'm not the smartest kid on my block but I'd still like to think that I could and would spot someone acting suspicously in my neighborhood and would also like to think I would be a bit more 'alert' and on the lookout for anyone remotely suspicious if a) I was on neighborhood watch patrol and b) I knew there were recurring problems with crime in that neighborhood.

Me too, that's what I'm asking. What experience did he have over any other citizen?

mitzi

I question if Zimmerman is really a racist. Probably not but he didn't use the best of judgement that night by following Martin and instigating the confrontation that happened (my thoughts). Too many half truths and distortion of words all over the media with this. I've spent too much time consumed with this story and will shut up for awhile. :buddies:

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever

Yes you are missing it. Zimmerman did have training beyond the one day standard training like the local sheriff and State Police do in our area. But it really does not matter, in a gated community it would be ok to challenge someone you did not know even if you are an average citizen. We are told to challenge non badge people at work we see in the halls.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yes you are missing it. Zimmerman did have training beyond the one day standard training like the local sheriff and State Police do in our area. But it really does not matter, in a gated community it would be ok to challenge someone you did not know even if you are an average citizen. We are told to challenge non badge people at work we see in the halls.

The obligation to challenge at work is entirely different than challenging strangers in a neighborhood. At work, it's a responsibility of employment. You're being paid and your employer is ultimately responsible.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
this was debated in another thread ...........

I agree, if your are not free to leave at any time, get taken to the police station in hand cuffs, you are under arrest

I think the technicality is 'he was detained'

but I did not know Zimmerman was brought in for questioning until the thread popped up

There is enough Constitutional law to support this.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
gang'stas are Black

[I do not know what MS-13 refers to themselves as]

Gangsters are Italian [or better The Syndicate, 'da Boys or the Mafia]

:shrug:

everyone knows that

There is no such thing as the Mafia. Does not exist. It is a figment of your imagination.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Okay, I see your point. Calling 911 is the thing to do. I get the impression that Zimmerman was following him which he should not have done. 911 advised against it. By that I mean instigating. Had Martin been a violent criminal, Zimmerman could have been easily shot dead. All in all, just a bad situation.

You are right....he could have been shot dead. Good reason to carry a gun. Also, he could have been met someone who was violent and smashed his head in and killed him. Opps, that is what he was doing. So Zimmerman stood his ground with his gun.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
The obligation to challenge at work is entirely different than challenging strangers in a neighborhood. At work, it's a responsibility of employment. You're being paid and your employer is ultimately responsible.
Why, security guard is not in my job description.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Other duties as assigned.................

...and if your happen to work on base or in any cleared facility, security is everyone's responsibility.

Nope, don't work in either. When I do, someone carry's signs around saying "Unclean" or flashing blue light blink. It is nice to feel so important.

Even so, we are ask to challenge. No different than say in my neighborhood. I have confronted strangers in our common area in our neighborhood where we have no trespassing signs posted. Probably should not but it is a common area where I happen to be and there have been damage to the area by someone. Someone challenged, that might be up to no good, is less likely to do it, if they know that others are watching.

Zimmerman was within his right to challenge Martin.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I question if Zimmerman is really a racist. Probably not but he didn't use the best of judgement that night by following Martin and instigating the confrontation that happened (my thoughts).:

I'm almost certain that under the same circumstances, I would have followd Martin too. I'm also fairly certain I too would have ignored the weak suggestion thrown out by the 911 operator to not follow Martin. If it was a suspicous person in my neighborhood...I would stay on them until law enforcement arrived or they disappeared completely from the area in which I was concerned.

Beyond that, the rest is purely your 'guess' and conjecture; there is not one shread of evidence that proves Zimmerman 'instigated' a confrontation...unless you believe that simply following and observing Martin constituted an 'instigation'..and I do not believe that.

mitzi

I had read their Neighborhood Watch Program wasn't even registered. Again, what type of training and where did he received this training? I've missed this information.