Zimmerman arrested...

Did you know he was arrested that night?

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who?

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I had read their Neighborhood Watch Program wasn't even registered. Again, what type of training and where did he received this training? I've missed this information.

Registered. To keep an eye out on ones own neighborhood. Permission.

if we're going to have all these rules people have to follow or be damned, why don't we just outlaw breaking and entering and other such crimes and then we'd have no need for watches or patrols or even cops.

Right?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I had read their Neighborhood Watch Program wasn't even registered. Again, what type of training and where did he received this training? I've missed this information.

There wasn't any. At least none has been mentioned so I don't know where JoeRider is getting that info. In fact, it has been mentioned several times that Zimmerman was the "self proclaimed" neighborhood watch captain, whatever that means.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever

So what, I doubt that of the dozens of neighborhood watch groups in Calvert county are registered. The one in our neighborhood is not.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
There wasn't any. At least none has been mentioned so I don't know where JoeRider is getting that info. In fact, it has been mentioned several times that Zimmerman was the "self proclaimed" neighborhood watch captain, whatever that means.

Not sure where I got the info from but I thought it was creditable. Sounded like he had more than just the standard 1/2 day training that the Sheriff/State Police offer around here.

The self-proclaimed is just a BS term to paint him bad. Just like the term Neighborhood Watch Captain and Neighborhood Watch Volunteer. It is to imply that he know that he should not follow because of training or that he was being a self-proclaimed cop in the neighborhood. As more things come to light, it just sounds like he was more active than most with neighborhood watch which is no surprise since only a few people in neighborhoods are proactive. In our neighborhood, many people will not be part of the watch program because they are afraid that someone will retaliate for reporting something.

Zimmerman, 28, once asked a neighbor for a letter of recommendation so he could apply for a job at a police agency, according to the Miami Herald. It’s unclear whether he ever went through with the application, but the newspaper dug up records showing he later completed a one-night-a-week, 14-hour “citizens’ academy” course with the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office in Sanford.

A Guide To The Trayvon Martin Killing | TPMMuckraker

mitzi

Registered. To keep an eye out on ones own neighborhood. Permission.

if we're going to have all these rules people have to follow or be damned, why don't we just outlaw breaking and entering and other such crimes and then we'd have no need for watches or patrols or even cops.

Right?

No, wrong.

mitzi

I heard the same thing you did.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It means he was concerned enough about improving the quality of life for himself and his neighbors that he organized and led a neighborhood watch program.

.... so we should kill him.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Zimmerman, 28, once asked a neighbor for a letter of recommendation so he could apply for a job at a police agency, according to the Miami Herald. It’s unclear whether he ever went through with the application, but the newspaper dug up records showing he later completed a one-night-a-week, 14-hour “citizens’ academy” course with the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office in Sanford.

The St. Mary's Co Sheriff has the same type Citizens' Academy. It has nothing to do with neighborhood watch.

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office - Citizen Academy

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
The St. Mary's Co Sheriff has the same type Citizens' Academy. It has nothing to do with neighborhood watch.

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office - Citizen Academy

And your point is? Why does it matter?

As I said before - see previous posts (I have at least two of them)

Sounded like he had more than just the standard 1/2 day training that the Sheriff/State Police offer around here.

That is what neighborhood watch training is. It is a 1/2 session on a Sat. Not sure what your point is but you are not making it. Bottom line, Zimmerman probably had more training that most NW Captains. He probably had some firearm training too but that is a guess. I am at a total loss as to why this is an issue other than the media is trying to make "NW Person" something more than it is and that has been grossly distorted by the media that the program MUST register and other BS. He was someone that cared enough to call in suspicious activities in the neighborhood - shown by something like 40 call in a 2 year period distorted to something like, what the media incorrectly report, 40 calls in a month. If more people would get
involved in their community NW program and called stuff in, there would be a lot less crime. Also the NW program creates communication between the police and the concerned neighbors so the police don't seem like some hate group that the minorities complain about but something a little more personable. I challenge you to get involved in your county one so you know what is really happening instead of letting the media control your mind.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
FYI NW Programs

Time to get off your behind and become active in your community. Something tells me that being a good citizen is not something you do. Just in case, here is some info.

Deputy Trains Neighborhood Leaders - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

Keeping the momentum going once a subdivision begins a new chapter of Neighborhood Watch was the recurring theme of a training session lead by a veteran officer of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office. The session took place Saturday, March 10 at Courthouse Square in Prince Frederick.

www.usaonwatch.org

Charles:

Welcome to Charles County Sheriff's Office

Through the Neighborhood Watch program, citizens work with police to prevent and detect crime in neighborhoods.

Neighborhood Watch participants are also eligible to join Citizens on Patrol. Citizens volunteer a few hours a month to patrol their neighborhoods for suspicious activity.

Each month, the Sheriff’s Office posts on our Web site the crime statistics for each neighborhood that participates in the Neighborhood Crime Watch program. For more information about Neighborhood Crime Watch, call our community organizer at 301-932-3080 or download our Crime Watch Toolkit.

Calvert:

Neighborhood Watch Program

The Calvert County Neighborhood Watch Program meets the second Monday of every other month (January, March, May, July , September & November), 6:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn-Express in Prince Frederick with the purpose of sharing information with other communities and law enforcement personnel; seeking guidance on how to handle specific problems and situations within their community; and staying apprised of recent trends in criminal activity.

In an effort to keep our community members informed, current crime trends will be outlined below after each meeting.

awpitt

Main Streeter
And your point is?

My point, that you missed, was that you suggested that Zimmerman had more than the standard NW training than what goes on around here.

Not sure where I got the info from but I thought it was creditable. Sounded like he had more than just the standard 1/2 day training that the Sheriff/State Police offer around here.

You seemed to base this suggestion on Zimmerman's attendance at a citizens' academy.

but the newspaper dug up records showing he later completed a one-night-a-week, 14-hour “citizens’ academy” course with the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office in Sanford.

I replied with a link to a similar “citizens’ academy” course ran by the St. Mary's Sheriff showing that the course content does not cover how to run a neighborhood watch.

Point being that Zimmerman's attendance in a “citizens’ academy” course does not mean he had "more than just the standard 1/2 day training that the Sheriff/State Police offer around here."

Even in the citizens’ academy that Zimmerman did attend, "neighborhood policing" is only a small part of the overall curriculum. They likely spent a only a portion of one of the 3.5 hour sessions on that subject and that's only if "neighborhood policing" is another name for "neighborhood watch".

:::. Seminole County Sheriff's Office - Donald F. Eslinger, Sheriff .:::

So, bottom line, there is no evidence that Zimmerman "had more than just the standard 1/2 day training that the Sheriff/State Police offer around here." as far as neighborhood watch training is concerned.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Time to get off your behind and become active in your community. Something tells me that being a good citizen is not something you do. Just in case, here is some info.

You obviously do not know me. If you did, you wouldn't have posted that statement.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok, so, of the 45 people who were interested in this enough to at least know who the hell we're talking about, 2/3's were not aware he was arrested the night of the shooting and we have some people quibbling over what 'arrested' means seeings how being cuffed and taken to the station for however many hours seems to be worth arguing over.

Noteworthy, I think, given the impression we, the people, were given over what all the outrage is about.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Ok, so, of the 45 people who were interested in this enough to at least know who the hell we're talking about, 2/3's were not aware he was arrested the night of the shooting and we have some people quibbling over what 'arrested' means seeings how being cuffed and taken to the station for however many hours seems to be worth arguing over.

Noteworthy, I think, given the impression we, the people, were given over what all the outrage is about.

They weren't aware because he wasn't. If he had been. We would've seen news reports, about Zimmerman, similar to what happened to this girl.

Woman Beats Boyfriend Who Refused to Have Sex With Her: Police | NBC 6 Miami
Nunez was arrested and booked into Broward jail and later released on $2,500 bond. It was unknown whether she has an attorney.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They weren't aware because he wasn't..

Whilst you are busy splitting that hair finer and finer, let me just note that this here 'they' knew exactly what the poll question related to and this here 'they' was not aware for quite some time that Zimmerman had been placed in hand cuffs and taken to the police station for questioning.. From the initial reports I saw, I was under the impression that the cops questioned him on the scene and then let him go his merry way.

So this here 'they' like the others in that 2/3 voted to indicate exactly that.:buddies:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
reputable source :yay:

Smarter folks actually know how to use a blog's - any blog's - hyperlinks and read directly the sources under discussion.

It's tough going for you...I know..but give it a try. :huggy:

Last edited: