Adopt from a Rescue, make room to save more...

95blkgst

Most rescue places are a joke. I had to put my dog to sleep so I thought rescuing a dog this time would be the best bet. There are so many regulations, age, house type, will someone be home, ect.

When I had my puppy, My g/f and I would take turns going home from work to let him out, so he would be in a crate for 4 hours max during the day... But since were only some places wont let us rescue becase of our age.... 20 years old and we own our own townhouse hmm seems good enough to me.

My house will be a lot better then a little kennal the the dogs stay in at the shelters. If there are so many dogs that need rescued then dont make it almost impossible for people to effing rescue a dog. We have finally found at good shelter that will let us adopt no matter what, but after this I am done with shelters, they are a joke and do not care about the dogs well being.

kvj21075

Meow
My house will be a lot better then a little kennal the the dogs stay in at the shelters. If there are so many dogs that need rescued then dont make it almost impossible for people to effing rescue a dog. We have finally found at good shelter that will let us adopt no matter what, but after this I am done with shelters, they are a joke and do not care about the dogs well being.

i absolutely agree! i understand them being cautious, not wanting to adopt out to a sick person that will keep them oustide all year all long, or housed in a small crate 12 hours a day. but jsut because u dont have a fenced yard, or have to work a 8 hr day does not mean u cant give that puppy a good life. why would they rather them sit in the shelter or be put down?

Cowgirl

i absolutely agree! i understand them being cautious, not wanting to adopt out to a sick person that will keep them oustide all year all long, or housed in a small crate 12 hours a day. but jsut because u dont have a fenced yard, or have to work a 8 hr day does not mean u cant give that puppy a good life. why would they rather them sit in the shelter or be put down?

We don't have a fenced yard and we both work 8 hr days and we adopted a dog. :shrug:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
You wouldn't believe what I went through to adopt a guinea pig..and what I paid:yikes: I could have easily went to petco and bought one for 30 bucks no questions asked..but I felt adoption was the right thing to do..it took me over a month of paperwork..email interviews and finally a trip to the rescue for the pigs to "meet" before I got it...for a guinea pig with a life expectancy of 3-5 years!! but if you really feel like thats what is right..it will work. simply explain what you did here..and try out all the rescues..or go straight to the animal shelter...they really do have the dogs interest at heart..but i think most rescues have had so many returns and such that they really wanna make sure it is a good fit.

We don't have a fenced yard and we both work 8 hr days and we adopted a dog. :shrug:

Lucky you... I was denied the opportunity to rescue a schnauzer because:
1) We worked all day.
2) No fenced in yard.
3)My two kids were too young... they were 8 and 6 that year (2001).

I bought a puppy.

Cowgirl

All rescues are different. You have to find one that you like, and one that works for you. Their goal isn't to be a pain in your ass, their goal is to find lifetime homes for pets. If they know someone probably won't be a good fit for a certain dog, it's in the dog's best interest. People come up with some lame-ass excuses for getting rid of animals, and the rescue groups just don't have time or money for that.

If one group turns you down, find another. Or, perhaps there's something in your history that is preventing a group from adopting to you.

95blkgst

Ok so tell me how they would know who is a good fit and who isnt by looking at an application and never meeting with the people?

People can easliy lie on applications.

Cowgirl

:confused: I don't get it. Why is that signature worthy?

Ok so tell me how they would know who is a good fit and who isnt by looking at an application and never meeting with the people?

I don't know your situation. :shrug: Did you give references? Maybe you didn't have good references. Do you have young kids? What kind of dog were you wanting to adopt? It all depends.

In my case, they didn't even bother with having me fill out an application and stopped my phone interview after they hit the 3rd point about my life they didn't like.

95blkgst

:confused: I don't get it. Why is that signature worthy?

I don't know your situation. :shrug: Did you give references? Maybe you didn't have good references. Do you have young kids? What kind of dog were you wanting to adopt? It all depends.

hmm, seeing as they didnt call our refrences, they saw we lived in a town house and said it wouldnt be good for a dog. We even emailed about a smaller dog and second hope said the dog had to be with other dogs and children.

So how can I get a dog that needs to be with another dog if they wont let me adopt a dog to begin with.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
hmm, seeing as they didnt call our refrences, they saw we lived in a town house and said it wouldnt be good for a dog. We even emailed about a smaller dog and second hope said the dog had to be with other dogs and children.

So how can I get a dog that needs to be with another dog if they wont let me adopt a dog to begin with.

That sounds odd to me. Second Hope is very particular about adopting to families with children.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Tell them you know of a lovely puppt mill up the road and that if they dont let you adopt..you are gonna go get one there. Sometimes they are a little extreme.

95blkgst

If the dog can't be around kids then you would think they would let you adopt it no matter what.

The best rescue goupe we have found is ARF. CAWL is a joke too. We went there this past week and they gave us some dirty looks when we said we work during the day so we wont be home all day with a puppy.

They didnt watch us while playing and interacting with the dog. Which if you cared about the dog and who is adopting it you should be doing.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
If the dog can't be around kids then you would think they would let you adopt it no matter what.

The best rescue goupe we have found is ARF. CAWL is a joke too. We went there this past week and they gave us some dirty looks when we said we work during the day so we wont be home all day with a puppy.

They didnt watch us while playing and interacting with the dog. Which if you cared about the dog and who is adopting it you should be doing.

Serioulsy?

So what you're saying is that since you can pet and cuddle a puppy or dog in front of other people that automatically means that the you are able to provide a good quality of life at your home for this pup including exercise and vet care :confused: that doesn't make sense at all.
Lets look at it this way, so many people who own puppies feel discouraged enough in the beginning and feel they have to give up their dogs because they're not home for them..... If a puppy is not being socialized and trained they might act out, then you have behavior problems. That's why rescue groups like Second Hope Rescue exists. Other wise a shelter dog might be evaluated as a dangerous or red zone when it's not necessarily the case. These dogs are at a shelter, not in a foster home, that is the difference. Second Hope ensures that their dog is going to a home that can provide everything the dog/cat needs, that way the animal is not going to be returned. It's insurance not only for the rescue but that there may be another spot for the group to take on another case..... lord knows how many animals need saving..... don't even get me started on Puppy Mills :burning:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Serioulsy?

So what you're saying is that since you can pet and cuddle a puppy or dog in front of other people that automatically means that the you are able to provide a good quality of life at your home for this pup including exercise and vet care :confused: that doesn't make sense at all.

:lol: I coo and cuddle babies all the time, doesn't mean I want to bring them home and change dirty diapers.

SoftballCrazy

This is not true. You really didn't have any major issues w/ your app - (if this is who I think it is) - the main problem is you wanted a puppy that consistently barks/whines/cries ALOT, for a person that lives in a townhouse. And if anyone else on this board has a neighbor whose dog barks/cries when left alone or crated, would you want to live next to them? It was said the pup you were interested in wouldn't be a good fit because he's very vocal for a townhome or apt. You've definitely showed your maturity level by coming here and twisting the facts.

95blkgst

Hmm seeing as how I had a boxer who ended up having congestive heart problems, would whine a little bit when we left but then was fine. He was compeltly housebroken by 2 months old, knew a bunch of commands by 1 1/2 months old. A dog can be trained not to whine and cry and bark. Its not that hard.

And If you do know who this is, Well its not because I didnt personally fill out the application, Then why didnt second hope suggest any other dogs? If someone wants to adopt a dog then you would think that a rescue group would try and work with them to find them a good fit. Did second hope? Of course not. Did another rescue groupe that we are working with? Yes. Why would we need kids or another dog to get Rowdy the puggle? Kids seriously? I mean seeing as my sister in law has 2 pugs and 1 puggle, the dog would have company when ever it needed it.