Capitals / Penguins

BuddyLee

Football addict
It's apparent the young Caps players need more playoff experience because it is a different game in the post-season. While Federov, Ovechkin and Varlamov have carried the team in some games, others like Semin and Green just haven't showed up. If the seven game series against the Rangers wasn't a wake up call for the aforementioned this series certainly is.

Smokin' Al Koken is probably right in saying they're at least a few years away.

Black-Francis

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

LET'S DO IT!

Baz

This. ------------------>
I can't call myself a hardcore fan; I can't name 1/2 the team or the position they play. However, they have renewed my interest in the game including an appreciation for the play in general, including how other teams play.

Bottom line, two super stars are trumping one.

:buddies:

That's cool. While sometimes we may poke fun at the sudden resurgence of Caps fans, it's good to have an exciting and competitive team back in DC. The more people enjoying this great sport, the better. :yay:

Baz

This. ------------------>
It's apparent the young Caps players need more playoff experience because it is a different game in the post-season. While Federov, Ovechkin and Varlamov have carried the team in some games, others like Semin and Green just haven't showed up. If the seven game series against the Rangers wasn't a wake up call for the aforementioned this series certainly is.

Normally teams have to build their way into Stanley Cup contention, after being out of it for a few years. First step is to just get in the playoffs, which the Caps did last year. Then win a series or two, which they've done this year. Then it's tough for any team to win the conference, let alone win it all.

That's the way the Hurricanes built their way to their recent Cup, the way the Penguins progressed as a team the last couple years, and the way the Caps are doing it. Every now and then a team gets hot and jumps right to the Finals, but that's not typical.

And this series still isn't over yet. The Penguins have all the momentum, but they still have to close it out. They have no desire to come back to DC for game 7.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

LET'S DO IT!

:yeahthat: It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Barry Melrose - ESPN Hockey Analyst, ex-coach, intimates the series is over;

Penguins will win.

Any takers?

OldHillcrestGuy

Besides Green and Semin not showing up, Brooks Laich is another one who hasnt stepped up in this series. Along with Ovie two other players who have really given it all are Backstrom, who's been awesome and Dave Steckel. Caps are a young team as someone else has mentioned and these playoffs this year, is giving them more experience for the future years. With the players in Hershey and with Varly proving himself in the post-season the future is very bright.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Getting ready for football. What QB is Washington going to try and get this week? I hear Jeff George is looking for a job. :killingme Nats going to lose 100 games again this season?

Rex Grossman :killingme

I don't care about boring baseball :yawn:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Man, except for game 3, I miss 2 games, and we lose :banghead:

Missed Friday picking the wifey up from the airport, and missed game 5 for not being home either :banghead:

If we lose, all the CAPS fans can blame me for the ginx, and the pitt fans can thank me :ohwell:

So not getting much of a re-cap here, what all went down?

Caps play soft again or what? :popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So not getting much of a re-cap here, what all went down?

Caps play soft again or what? :popcorn:

Nope. Great game, I thought, well played at a high level. Caps coulda won, easy. However, at the end of the day, two superstars playing well trumps one superstar. Malkin and Crosby are able to generate constant pressure and, sooner or later, something breaks.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Nope. Great game, I thought, well played at a high level. Caps coulda won, easy. However, at the end of the day, two superstars playing well trumps one superstar. Malkin and Crosby are able to generate constant pressure and, sooner or later, something breaks.

Yeah, I think our D over persue's from time to time, but, that comes down to coach B's philosphy of play to win :yay:

But your completely on point there, 2 upper tier stars will over-take 1 any day... The Caps REALLY need someone besides A.O and S.V to STEP UP!

LordStanley

I know nothing

Sorry but I must disagree.... You can thank that last loss to Tom Poti...

He would have served the developing play better if he stayed on his feet and picked up crosby... Malkin was already covered and that pass would have never gotten to Crosby...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sorry but I must disagree.... You can thank that last loss to Tom Poti...

He would have served the developing play better if he stayed on his feet and picked up crosby... Malkin was already covered and that pass would have never gotten to Crosby...

You talking about his dive and the puck deflected off his stick into the net?

LordStanley

I know nothing
OK, so one play and the game is his fault? I agree that if he's diving, he probably made a bad play, took a bad angle, reacted wrong, but, Malkin has been putting the Caps D back on there heels ever since he woke up in game three.

you dont think he feels the same way???

Any decent sportsmen would blame that on himself, apologize to his team and promise to make it up in the next game.

Or Milan Jurcina for taking the penalty that Malkin scored on.....

Ovie and Backstroms line played better that Crosby/Malkin