Child neglect?

KDENISE977

Someone should post a poll of who is comfortable leaving your 9 year old and 2 year old toddler in the car in the Dorf at ANY time...

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Not true at all... when we first moved to this county my mom used to babysit for a a local detective and he specialized in crimes against children. There is nothing different happening today than happened back in the 70s.
Seriously? Really? You're asking me to believe that we are no more dangerous today than we were 40 years ago?

Are you doing this with a straight face? :lmao:

but "unheard" doesn't mean "didn't happen"

the incidence was probably about the same. I do not believe that an average person is capable of that. I believe that the incidence of people ill enough to be capable of that, has likely remained fairly constant throughout time. But now we track individuals better, we have more sophisticated crime solving, we hear about more..a lot of things can explain why the world may seem more dangerous now. But if we look at the entire population of humans, my best bet is that the incidence of serial killers, pedos etc has likely remained the same.

so that leads me back too..this wouldnt have raised an eyebrow years ago..and now there are about 10 pages of people expressing how AWFUL they think it is..what is the difference? Is the answer more likely that there is just now way to much danger in the world? Or is the answer that we are more aware of things? are we smarter now? is the tradeoff for being hyperaware (codelling children, making them believe they are not capable of caring for themselves when a child just a few years ago would have been trusted) worth it? We complain and complain that 20 somethings are moving back in with their parents at alarming rates, that teenagers are incapable of basic survival skills, that a HUGE percentage of our young people have overinflated views of themselves, that older folks have worked for years and years since they were young and now young people want things handed to them .....and yet fail to see how the intense overreaction to a couple kids hanging out in the car for a shopping trip is related.
My mother was very stunned by the statistics he was able to quote... especially the statistics on incest.

Yes... they can be anywhere... which is why we parents need to encourage self-awareness and street smarts rather than complete sheltering.

I agree. Many moons ago this thread was about leaving children in the car while parents go shopping. I don't think making them go in the store rather than sit in the car is sheltering...is it?

Seriously? Really? You're asking me to believe that we are no more dangerous today than we were 40 years ago?

Yes, I am saying that the dangers our children face today are the same dangers I faced as a child. I could have been kidnapped from my yard and raped and/or murdered. I could have been molested by a neighbor's son. I could have been mugged while walking to the bus stop. etc.

nomoney

I didn't realize that you were a crime statician back 40 years ago? How did you keep you databases? Buried in coffee cans?

Is this tread making anyone else a nervous wreck? avatar29956_50.gif

It's giving me anxiety, but I can't look away! :cds:

sockgirl77

Actually, she's right. The same crimes were around in the 70s. But, the multitude of them is what is important right now.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am cautious about taking the dogs anywhere anymore for fear someone will report my vehicle in a parking lot if I run into a store. I am talking having the windows cracked and the temperature being under 60 degrees. So I only do this during the late Fall through early Spring. Boxy LOVES car rides.

It isn't safe to leave kids in the car, period. Not just temperatures, but the lurking pedophiles.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I don't think you're making the point you're going for. Just because you've never really lived anywhere else and the population has boomed here in your local yocal town doesn't make it more dangerous :confused: Wildwood being built, extra lanes being added, and a new Target does not mean its more dangerous. Of course it seems like there are more crimes....there's more people.

Things were and always will be better when we were kids. When we were kids we had no idea what crimes were going on because hopefully we were sheltered just as we shelter our hellions.

but "unheard" doesn't mean "didn't happen"

the incidence was probably about the same. I do not believe that an average person is capable of that. I believe that the incidence of people ill enough to be capable of that, has likely remained fairly constant throughout time. But now we track individuals better, we have more sophisticated crime solving, we hear about more..a lot of things can explain why the world may seem more dangerous now. But if we look at the entire population of humans, my best bet is that the incidence of serial killers, pedos etc has likely remained the same.

so that leads me back too..this wouldnt have raised an eyebrow years ago..and now there are about 10 pages of people expressing how AWFUL they think it is..what is the difference? Is the answer more likely that there is just now way to much danger in the world? Or is the answer that we are more aware of things? are we smarter now? is the tradeoff for being hyperaware (codelling children, making them believe they are not capable of caring for themselves when a child just a few years ago would have been trusted) worth it? We complain and complain that 20 somethings are moving back in with their parents at alarming rates, that teenagers are incapable of basic survival skills, that a HUGE percentage of our young people have overinflated views of themselves, that older folks have worked for years and years since they were young and now young people want things handed to them .....and yet fail to see how the intense overreaction to a couple kids hanging out in the car for a shopping trip is related.

Yes, I am saying that the dangers our children face today are the same dangers I faced as a child. I could have been kidnapped from my yard and raped and/or murdered. I could have been molested by a neighbor's son. I could have been mugged while walking to the bus stop. etc.
The odds weren't a fraction of what they are now. And to you all I say see post 124.

Leave your kids unattended. That ole "cull the herd" thing right?

KDENISE977

I didn't think this tread was isolated to child abduction or murder...I would be more concerned about the thug who wanted to jack my car and didn't give a chit if a kid was in the back or not.

I didn't realize that you were a crime statician back 40 years ago? How did you keep you databases? Buried in coffee cans?
The great thing about back in the day was when some repeat criminals would turn up dead in the Chaptico swamp...:cool: