De Sean Jackson...

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I saw "face plant" in the video and had to watch.
But do you have, or have you ever had, a figure skating event (not including the Olympics) programmed into your DVR/VCR?

I watched that clip too, expecting the dude to take the smack. I literally balled up in my chair at what happened... :shocking:

All is subjective..
It helps to repeatedly miss the point. Getting hit/beat up/injured in football comes with the territory, from high school up. Getting injured because someone hit/tackled improperly is completely different.

I don't watch baseball, but I'm smart enough to know a pro pitcher can place the ball anywhere he pleases. So if he beams a hitter, there is very little chance it was a mistake or just "part of the game".

BuddyLee

Football addict
...the dude that hit him should be suspended for the season.

I mean, he had time and opportunity to lay wood on the guy but, the intentional, emphasized helmet lead to De Seans helmet was borderline criminal. That is a career ender and, potentially, fatal shot.

I am absolutely serious. They are all bigger, stronger, faster, better conditioned but, the the tissue that makes up brains and organs ain't something that can be made stronger or more able to absorb that sort of sudden, incredible shock.

Worst shot I ever took sent me flying and gave me the worst concussion of my concussion filled life. Total blindside shot. And I was hit clean, shoulder to chest, obliterated.

Are they honestly going to wait until someone dies on national TV?

Sorry. Not dies. Gets killed. :shrug:

Watch again. He lead with his shoulder and it was a clean shot.

I don't even see where this warrants a penalty.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Now, compare that hit to the 2 hits that Harrison placed on Cribbs and Massaquoi. If any of them were criminal, the 2 by Harrison were worse in my opinion. He launched himself directly at their heads...then came out today and says he actually wants to hurt someone.
Actually, he said that he didn't want to hurt someone. He said he didn't wish to send someone out of the game or out of a career but hitting is part of the game. What he did say was that he didn't care if he hurt someone.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I just got off the phone with my stepson talking about this stuff and he described, all these years later, after his one year of JV football, step by step, proper tackling technique, how and why, without even thinking about it.

:buddies:
You see a lot more missed tackles than you do in the past. Coaches preach the big hits and they're more popular among players. You're not often to make a big play with a sound tackle.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
–From ESPN’s AFC North Blog–

PITTSBURGH — Steelers linebacker James Harrison states his objective matter-of-factly: He’s out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity.

If he sees players down on the turf — as he did Sunday when he sidelined Browns wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with concussion-causing hits only minutes apart — he knows he’s done his job.

“I don’t want to injure anybody,” Harrison said following Pittsburgh’s 28-10 victory. “There’s a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people.”

To may to
To mah to

The Cribbs tackle was deemed legal but the league is reviewing the Massaquoi hit. Either way, look for a chop block coming a James Harrison near you. "OOps, my bad I only wanted to hurt you."

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Hey Buddy, here's a book you may be interested in.
Pat Kirwan
I listen to him every day on Sirius NFL, knows his football and imparts some serious knowledge.

(Although that claptrap about the Falcons being the best team in the NFC cost me 5 points this week.)

BuddyLee

Football addict
–From ESPN’s AFC North Blog–

PITTSBURGH — Steelers linebacker James Harrison states his objective matter-of-factly: He’s out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity.

If he sees players down on the turf — as he did Sunday when he sidelined Browns wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with concussion-causing hits only minutes apart — he knows he’s done his job.

“I don’t want to injure anybody,” Harrison said following Pittsburgh’s 28-10 victory. “There’s a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people.”

To may to
To mah to

The Cribbs tackle was deemed legal but the league is reviewing the Massaquoi hit. Either way, look for a chop block coming a James Harrison near you. "OOps, my bad I only wanted to hurt you."

James Harrison = my new NFL hero.:yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Hey Buddy, here's a book you may be interested in.
Pat Kirwan
I listen to him every day on Sirius NFL, knows his football and imparts some serious knowledge.

(Although that claptrap about the Falcons being the best team in the NFC cost me 5 points this week.)
Sounds pretty neat and worth a sit-down.

Thanks.

JoeR

Actually, he said that he didn't want to hurt someone. He said he didn't wish to send someone out of the game or out of a career but hitting is part of the game. What he did say was that he didn't care if he hurt someone.

Harrisons actual statement was: "I don't want to injure anybody," Harrison said following Pittsburgh's 28-10 victory. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

As for Harrison launching himself. He didn't. The hit on Cribbs has already been deemed legal by the league. Harrison hit him when he turned back while being tackled by Woodley. And since he was past the line of scrimmage, he's considered a running back. The hit on Massaquoi is a lot like the one on Bolden a couple years ago. Massaquoi lowered his head just as he Harrison went to hit him. Here's the line from the article on NFL.com; Harrison struck Massaquoi with his helmet as he rammed his right forearm and shoulder into the wide receiver to break up a pass. Tell me how Harrison is supposed to stop on a dime?

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
As for Harrison launching himself. He didn't. The hit on Cribbs has already been deemed legal by the league. Harrison hit him when he turned back while being tackled by Woodley. And since he was past the line of scrimmage, he's considered a running back. The hit on Massaquoi is a lot like the one on Bolden a couple years ago. Massaquoi lowered his head just as he Harrison went to hit him. Here's the line from the article on NFL.com; Harrison struck Massaquoi with his helmet as he rammed his right forearm and shoulder into the wide receiver to break up a pass. Tell me how Harrison is supposed to stop on a dime?

The league is run by pansies nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson and Harrison both received fines and had to go through extensive behavior management with a sprinkling of community service and prison food.

Just be done with it and put flags on 'em.

BuddyLee

Football addict
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson has a concussion following his hit on Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson that knocked both players out of Sunday's game.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>YUI().use('node', 'nfl-iframe', function(Y) { Y.one('#pcard-ADFSFADM').plug(Y.NFL.IFrame, {resizeOnLoad: true});});</SCRIPT>

Falcons coach Mike Smith defended Robinson's hit Monday as the cornerback faced possible punishment from the league. Jackson also suffered a concussion.

"We all know Dunta," Smith said. "He's been in this league a long time. He's a guy who plays the game very hard. That was a bang-bang play in terms of the contact. I know from my vantage point it looked like there was no helmet-to-helmet contact, but it was a bang-bang play. I am glad that both those guys are going to be all right, but it was a big-time hit."
Robinson wasn't available for comment Monday, and his status for this week is uncertain. He must be cleared by an independent doctor before he can play.

Robinson was penalized for hitting a defenseless receiver. Both players stayed on the turf for several minutes before being helped from the field.
There were other similar helmet-to-helmet hits around the league Sunday. NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said Monday the league could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet hits.

Smith said the new rules to protect a defenseless receiver are "very complicated."

<SCRIPT>(function() { /* define adPath */ nfl.createVideoPlayer({ contentId: "09000d5d81b62126", related: "team", adSetting: "1", size: "small", dartURL: "http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl.news/story;s1=story;slot=inpage;url=story;nfl=ad;!category=;kw=;team=phi;team=atl;conf=nfc;dvsn=nce;dvsn=ncs;plyr=franklin_weatherspoon;plyr=stephen_nicholas;plyr=desean_jackson;tile=10;test=;sz=640x360;ord=" + (window.adRandom || nfl.constants.AD_RANDOM) + "?", uniqid: "09000d5d81b6e30f" });}());</SCRIPT>

"It's not just head-to-head contact," Smith said. "It's contact with the shoulder pads or the arm, any part of the body, with the helmet or the neck area. And again, a defenseless player definition, I'm not exactly 100 percent sure how they want to say a guy is defenseless."

Falcons safety William Moore said defensive players have to make difficult decisions on the run.

"The rules change and we have to adapt to those rules," Moore said. "That's tough because you're playing 100 percent and it's a split-second decision and you're running and playing football.

"I know no player wants to take out another player like that. We're just playing football. Dunta, he didn't lead in any way to try to hurt DeSean. We've just got to be smart in situations like that."

Falcons wide receiver Roddy White said he didn't see the hit but knew it was scary.

"No, I was sitting over on the bench and I heard it," White said Monday. "It's the loudest hit I've ever heard in my life.

"They threw a flag on it and I looked at it when I got home and it wasn't even helmet to helmet. He got the penalty because it looked so bad, but he tried to hit him right in the chest. The top of his helmet hit him like under the chin."

NFL.com news: Falcons' Robinson sustained concussion on Jackson collision

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Watch again. He lead with his shoulder and it was a clean shot.

I don't even see where this warrants a penalty.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the links I provided. Look up anything you like on football and proper tackling and injury and everything these guys have ever been taught about technique and risk.

I am stunned this is coming from you.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You see a lot more missed tackles than you do in the past. Coaches preach the big hits and they're more popular among players. You're not often to make a big play with a sound tackle.

Well, that would be wrong again. Watch Butkus tapes. Watch Mike Curtis. Watch Bednarick, Ronnie Lott, LT, Singletary, Lambert.

Good lord.

And coaches do NOT teach to lead with your crown. They teach to see what you tackle, that low man wins, they teach proper technique. It is insane otherwise given every single thing they all know about football and human physiology from day one.

Come on, BL, this is not like you? Someone hack your account? :lol:

:buddies:

:bubbies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
How annoying! They sat there debating this IGNORING the specifics of many of the hits trying to argue that they were just part of the game when they, clearly, by rule, by all the medicine and history and technique of football, were BAD hits, especially the one on Heap and Jackson.

Does no one deal with reality anymore???
They've always been a part of football.

Now they're going to suspend players for hits that are even "legal" if they're deemed "devastating". The league is going too far.

BuddyLee

Football addict
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the links I provided. Look up anything you like on football and proper tackling and injury and everything these guys have ever been taught about technique and risk.

I am stunned this is coming from you.
I watched the game, saw the links, read the stories.

He didn't lead with his head and it was a clean hit. Look at the video again. If Robinson doesn't lay the wood, Jackson is gone. Jackson had practically caught the ball and was on the run, bang-bang. Receivers going over the middle get what's comin'.

Want less big hits over the middle? Take back the rule where DB's can't jam after five yards. Receivers are free to run full speed wherever they please.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They've always been a part of football. Yes. So have false starts, offsides and what have you in terms of penalties

Now they're going to suspend players for hits that are even "legal" if they're deemed "devastating". The league is going too far.

I disagree with them suspending guys for clean hits. Totally. However, I think they think the only way to get through to people, like you, who wanna say "Anh, it's part of the game!" is to over react.

I think it was Leonard of Atlanta ( help me here) who wiped someone out textbook perfect AND walked away feeling that enormous feeling of pure brutal joy you get from a great hit and he may be in trouble. I disagree with him being in trouble, at all.

The Harrison hits, his head position was proper. He saw what he hit. Legal, proper. Violent as all hell.

The hit on De Sean was textbook wrong and dangerous to not just Jackson but, as we saw, what's his face who did NOT see what he hit because he lead with his crown and looked at the ground.