For all of those in Southern Md that have no clue how to get through a crossover

BernieP

Resident PIA
2010 Maryland Code
TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 21 - VEHICLE LAWS - RULES OF THE ROAD
Subtitle 6 - Turning and Starting; Signals on Stopping, Turning, and Starting
Section 21-601 - Required position and method of turning at intersections or crossovers.
§ 21-601. Required position and method of turning at intersections or crossovers.

(a) Right turns.- If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn right at any intersection, he shall approach the intersection and make the right turn as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(b) Left turns - In general.- If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn left at any intersection or crossover, he shall approach the intersection or crossover in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction.

(c) Left turns - Leaving intersection.- If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn left at any intersection or crossover, the driver shall, after entering the intersection or crossover, make the left turn so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction on the roadway being entered.

(d) Powers of State Highway Administration and local authorities.-

(1) The State Highway Administration or any local authority may place a traffic control device at or near any intersection in its jurisdiction and, with it, direct that vehicles turning at the intersection travel a course different from one specified in this section.

(2) At an intersection where a traffic control device is placed under this subsection, the driver of a vehicle may not turn otherwise than as directed by the device.

[An. Code 1957, art. 661/2, § 11-601; 1977, ch. 14, § 2; 1986, ch. 472, § 1.]

"leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction on the roadway being entered".
That means you should be on the right side - aligned with the lane.

The position for U-turns in a crossover is not explicit, but it would be safe to say that if the other case forces vehicles to the right - to align with the lane they intend to enter, it would be advisable for the vehicle making a U-turn to follow the left turning vehicles or you would have 2 vehicles in the crossover sitting side by side, which would pose an interesting dilemma to other drivers.

"leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction on the roadway being entered".
That means you should be on the right side - aligned with the lane.
I do not read it that way. It says, "the driver shall, after entering the intersection or crossover, make the left turn so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction."
That says as you pull out from the intersection into the road, you're going in the correct direction, not against the traffic, and is post-fact. It says nothing about which side of the crossover to be used.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Although, Bernie, I give you points for finding the closest description so far.
Don't forget they are "crossovers", they serve multiple purposes, vehicles coming straight across a divided highway, left turns and u-turns.
Drivers can enter via a turn lane or from a side street.
Again, regardless of the entry point and destination, you can't have two or three vehicles with a different idea over which side of the crossover is appropriate. If you leave the crossover on the left side, you are now entering a lane going in the wrong direction. Most of all, there has to be one rule, and the rule of thumb in the US is we drive on the right side of the road.

What makes me laugh is the attitude by some that if THEY think the rule is wrong (they know better) then it is acceptable to do it their way.
Which is why I asked where "they" learned to drive.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That's almost to the threshold of them declaring it hate-speech and deleting the post, isn't it?

BOP

If it's such a problem, then obviously it isn't clear what the proper course of action is to everyone. How about a solid yellow line in the crossover, like the one used everywhere else to denote this side vs that side. I do believe I have seen some on occasion.

Kinda like in other states where you have a really wide intersection on a major thoroughfare where they take the time to paint dashed white lines for left turners so they know where the hell they're supposed to go, especially at night. Not to mention that it helps people maintain their lanes when they are several lanes turning left at the same time.

View attachment 137751
In Southern Maryland, that just means do whatever the hell you feel like doing. And don't think any of the four vehicles in the northbound lane can't and won't hang a U-turn and head back south.

PeoplesElbow

Don't forget they are "crossovers", they serve multiple purposes, vehicles coming straight across a divided highway, left turns and u-turns.
Drivers can enter via a turn lane or from a side street.
Again, regardless of the entry point and destination, you can't have two or three vehicles with a different idea over which side of the crossover is appropriate. If you leave the crossover on the left side, you are now entering a lane going in the wrong direction. Most of all, there has to be one rule, and the rule of thumb in the US is we drive on the right side of the road.

What makes me laugh is the attitude by some that if THEY think the rule is wrong (they know better) then it is acceptable to do it their way.
Which is why I asked where "they" learned to drive.

I've got to wonder why they built the crossovers on RT235 near the Toyota dealer and Navy Federal Credit Union so wrong. The one for the northbound traffic serves no purpose from what I can tell other than yet another spot to make a U-Turn or a place to get someone to drive the wrong direction up RT235 until they get to the NFCU.

DannyMotorcycle

one of my peeves.. i'll be in the middle lane on an interstate.. and some ******* for no reason will want to go from the right lane to right in front of me and his lane is completely clear.. but he'll cut me off to be behind the car in front of me..

And then you've got the illegals who won't turn right on red and there's the absence of any on coming traffic...

and then you've got the early mergers instead of zippering, but they're not early merging, they're just impeding the lane with the front left corner of their car into the lane they want to get into.. if traffic is stopped just keep going fool and merge when you find a big opening or better yet just stop being a pussy and do the zipper merge.. If they won't let you in, go around that ******* and get in. .. or don't be afraid to stick your nose in, they will let you in instead of hit you.

Tech

I've got to wonder why they built the crossovers on RT235 near the Toyota dealer and Navy Federal Credit Union so wrong. The one for the northbound traffic serves no purpose from what I can tell other than yet another spot to make a U-Turn or a place to get someone to drive the wrong direction up RT235 until they get to the NFCU.
The highway was built prior to the development of the area, it use to be just a trailer park and bingo hall. Put in for Buck Hewitt traffic to go north.

Just an observation:
I was pulling out from the Bean building this morning, heading SB. There is a crossover in front of me. A car NB on 235 pulls into the crossover on the "correct" side to cross and enter the Bean building road. Another van pulls in behind him aiming for the "correct" side. The intersection is now blocked. Totally. With just 2 cars. A car comes in SB on 235 and wants to do a u-turn at the same crossover. He can't even get to the intersection and is pretty much left hanging out in the road.

Had the first car done it "wrong", there would have been no blocked intersection.

FED_UP

one of my peeves.. i'll be in the middle lane on an interstate.. and some *** for no reason will want to go from the right lane to right in front of me and his lane is completely clear.. but he'll cut me off to be behind the car in front of me..

And then you've got the illegals who won't turn right on red and there's the absence of any on coming traffic...

and then you've got the early mergers instead of zippering, but they're not early merging, they're just impeding the lane with the front left corner of their car into the lane they want to get into.. if traffic is stopped just keep going fool and merge when you find a big opening or better yet just stop being a pussy and do the zipper merge.. If they won't let you in, go around that *** and get in. .. or don't be afraid to stick your nose in, they will let you in instead of hit you.
So about 4:00-6:00pm I can tell your on Chancellors run road heading to 235N looking at the people zipping down the right turn lane and but in or stop right turn traffic to get in the left lane.

PeoplesElbow

The highway was built prior to the development of the area, it use to be just a trailer park and bingo hall. Put in for Buck Hewitt traffic to go north.
It was still modified after the fact and could have been modified "correctly" and in a less moronic manner.

FED_UP

It was still modified after the fact and could have been modified "correctly" and in a less moronic manner.

Do you mean:
stupid, foolish, senseless, brainless, mindless, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, insane, lunatic, asinine, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, preposterous, silly, inane, witless, half-baked, empty-headed, unintelligent, halfwitted, slow-witted, weak-minded; More
informalcrazy, daft, dumb, dead from the neck up, brain-dead, cretinous, doltish, thick, thickheaded, birdbrained, peabrained, pinheaded, dopey, dim, dimwitted, dippy, pie-faced, fat-headed, blockheaded, boneheaded, lamebrained, chuckleheaded, dunderheaded, wooden-headed, muttonheaded, damfool;

antonyms:intelligent

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think the collective had a power outage in the hive when they were doing the design for the section of 235 between Gate 1 / Pegg Rd and Milestone Landing Road.

Why did they not align Expedition / Exploration instead of having two half ass lights not even a quarter of a mile from gate 1?
as you said, the cross overs make no sense, particularly the north bound entrance. It's like a second cross over if you missed the light and the one by Quality.

Then there is the light at Rue Purchase and Buck Hewitt roads. The damage was done when the put the light in, why didn't they just make it a four way instead of the limited access - I guess they like U-turns and giving drivers reasons to do dumb things (yes, you, the peeps who pull out of CVS and go straight for the left lane so you can make the U turn there and not a quarter mile down the road.

I give them props though for how they handled access to the neighborhood across from First Colony.
They got a safe, controlled, exit (allowing drivers to go north, south or straight without a U-Turn) AND the design pretty much eliminates the use of the neighborhood as a short cut from Rt 4.