For all of those in Southern Md that have no clue how to get through a crossover

MiddleGround

I agree that there is justification to do it the way I've described.

I disagree that it is "wrong".

Same kind of justification for going through a Stop sign at an empty intersection. Still doesn't mean it is right!

If you want to drive on the left side of the road, I suggest you move to the UK. Otherwise... you are an eventual accident waiting to happen.

Goldenhawk

I think I've clearly made a reasonable case that left-hugging is both safer and more efficient. You may disagree; that's fine. But you're speaking as if there are absolutes at play here.

I stipulated that Maryland law is NOT clear about the "right way", and furthermore, I believe there are other states in our country where being on the left IS the legally mandated way to do it. For example, I read the Virginia law to explicitly require hugging the left side of an intersection (for example "Whenever practicable, the left turn shall be made to the left of the center of the intersection"). So YOUR personal opinion of "the right way" is somewhat irrelevant to this discussion.

Accident waiting to happen? Again, that's your opinion, not a fact. I've made a case that left-hugging is SAFER and thus less likely to result in an accident. It has better lines of sight, reducing the chance for t-bone collisions. It is also less likely to result in gridlock, which often results in aggressive and stupid actions by those who feel trapped.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
In case anyone now wants to rant about using Roundabouts

And now for less interesting Roundabout videos:

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

I do, I want to rant!!! If there is no traffic in the circle...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STOP!!!!!. Its a yield...not a stop sign. Of course, you have to yield to the traffic in the circle...NOT THE TRAFFIC THAT HASN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE CIRCLE YET!!!! A Yield sign is something else that needs to be explained...but that's another rant.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do, I want to rant!!! If there is no traffic in the circle...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STOP!!!!!. Its a yield...not a stop sign. Of course, you have to yield to the traffic in the circle...NOT THE TRAFFIC THAT HASN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE CIRCLE YET!!!! A Yield sign is something else that needs to be explained...but that's another rant.
Why is it so hard for some people!?!

Down in Tortola, they drive on the left. I had no problem with that, but everytime I entered a traffic circle on the left, I came out on the right. :ohwell:

glhs837

Power with Control

Preach, Sistah!!!!! People usng the one at Gate 3 are horrible for that, and since I hate to put a foot down on the bike, it drives me nuts!!!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
the new roundabout at FDR and Old Rolling Road is so painful to watch sometimes :bawl:
they either fly right thru it without noticing I'm already in it and have to slam on my brakes, or they stop while they're in it when they see me approaching :cds:

glhs837

Power with Control
the new roundabout at FDR and Old Rolling Road is so painful to watch sometimes :bawl:
they either fly right thru it without noticing I'm already in it and have to slam on my brakes, or they stop while they're in it when they see me approaching :cds:

While we are on the new chunk of FDR, who the hell chose that median vegetation?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Same kind of justification for going through a Stop sign at an empty intersection. Still doesn't mean it is right!

If you want to drive on the left side of the road, I suggest you move to the UK. Otherwise... you are an eventual accident waiting to happen.
^
This
It's not just people making left or U-Turns off of a road like 235, there are also people who can come from the intersecting street who may want to go straight or turn left.
Being on the "left" side of the intersection puts you head on with that vehicle.
Of course they are suppose to read your mind and move to the other side of the road and hope there is nobody coming head on over there.
See, we eliminate that confusion by agreeing to all drive on the right hand side of the road, whether it suits our particular fancy or not.
What's to say you want to stop at your mail box, is it okay to drive down the street in the wrong lane so you can put your hand into your mailbox without having to get out of your car?
sort of like the douchebag on Solomons the other day. Decided he was to important to go to the other end of the lot to exit, so he backed up a bit and swung around and went out the entrance.

glhs837

Power with Control
^

What's to say you want to stop at your mail box, is it okay to drive down the street in the wrong lane so you can put your hand into your mailbox without having to get out of your car?

NO!!!! NEVERNONEVER!!!!!!! SHOOT THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I literally drove over the traffic circle in on Italian town it was so small. Maybe a little bigger than a manhole cover.
Actually rather stupid
Like that truck driver that blew through the one in Clements and crashed into the house a couple of years ago?