Gay marriage legal in MD

ajhkmr97

TexasPride1977
dems4me said:
Me too :shrug: I've posted about this subject (gay marriage, gay Chritians, etc..) at length about a year or two ago :shrug:

Saying "Gay christian" is like saying "honest crook" - there is no such thing

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is turning into a religion...

...discusion. Slavery is OK in the Bible. It's not OK under Maryland law which is what this thread is about and no matter what ones faith, the free state recognizes religious freedom.

So, anyway, the ruling did NOT make gay marriage legal in MD, it struck down Marylands state constitutions forbidding of it. We're a long way from legislation passing that handles the permitting and regulation of gay marriage.

And let's get this straight; marriage is TOTALLY the states business; it's a legal, binding contract. It has no force without the state.

Geek

In think it is just a matter of time before gay marraige is legal, and just like all the rights won for minorities, the world doesn't end and everybody gets less shocked and appalled.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...discusion. Slavery is OK in the Bible. It's not OK under Maryland law which is what this thread is about and no matter what ones faith, the free state recognizes religious freedom.

So, anyway, the ruling did NOT make gay marriage legal in MD, it struck down Marylands state constitutions forbidding of it. We're a long way from legislation passing that handles the permitting and regulation of gay marriage.

And let's get this straight; marriage is TOTALLY the states business; it's a legal, binding contract. It has no force without the state.
Larry,

For clarity, what was struck as unconstitutional was the "statute" declaring that marriage is only legal between a man and a woman (Family Law 2-201), based upon the Equal Rights Amendment of the Maryland Constitution. As to my knowledge there is nothing in the State's Constitution one way or another on this matter, yet.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Anyone else find it ironic that we are seeing an increase in the tolerance of gay marriage, yet a decrease in the tolerance of abortion? It's like the religious right can't fight all these battles at the same time. :lol:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
True story: After Graham Chapman of Monty Python made his homosexuality public in the 1970s, someone wrote to the team citing the Biblical verse (paraphrased) "If a man is found with another man, he must be taken out and killed." Eric Idle send a reply: "We've found out who he was and we've taken him out and killed him."

This is what I don't understand, 2A--if you and other fundamentalists really believe that God commands Christians to kill gay men, why aren't all of you copying Eric Rudolph and machine-gunning the men in Dupont Circle who set off your gaydar?

I'm sorry, but I think the whole concept of "hate the sin but love the sinner" is crap. If you really loved the sinner, you would respect his freedom of conscience and stay out of his business. I say this because I had a distant relative who died recently. He wasn't religious, but his service was in a church. The officiating minister angered the family when he proclaimed that our relative was headed for hell. To me, that was ten times worse than anything Pat Robertson has to say.
You cite law that was Jewish law, not Christian law. I am pretty sure Jesus does not want Christians to kill anyone for sinning. He does want Christians to tell what is acceptable conduct to God. It is up to each person to choose to accept what is in the Bible or not and live with the consequences in this life and eternally.

If you love the sinner, you don't want them to continue in their sin and suffer eternally for it. Yours is the worldly view and "love the sinner, hate the sin" is the Spiritual view.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Whatever...

Ken King said:
Larry,

For clarity, what was struck as unconstitutional was the "statute" declaring that marriage is only legal between a man and a woman (Family Law 2-201), based upon the Equal Rights Amendment of the Maryland Constitution. As to my knowledge there is nothing in the State's Constitution one way or another on this matter, yet.

...I had the idea, wrong apparently, that MD had passed an amendment declaring marriage as between a man and woman.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Geek said:
Here are some interesting quotes from the Bible.
Amos 5:21 - God hates his chosen ones
What it really says:
Amos 5: 21"I hate, I reject your festivals,
Nor do I delight in your solemn assemblies.

Geek said:
Isiah 45:7 - God is evil
Would be really nice if you spell the name of the book correctly. What it really says:
Isaiah 45:7The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the LORD who does all these.
Geek said:
Do not eat fat of ox, sheep or goats (Lev. 7.23)
What it really says: Leviticus 7:23"Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall not eat any fat from an ox, a sheep or a goat.

Why, if you read in context it is because it was reserved for sacrifice on the alter by the Jews. There is no more sacrifice because none is needed. The one and only sacrifice has been made by God as Jesus on the cross.
Geek said:
Do not eat rabbit (Lev. 11:6)
Do not eat blood of fish, fowl or beast (Lev. 7:26)
Do not eat ham, bacon, pork chops or ribs (Lev. 11:7)
Do not eat lobster, crab, scallops or shrimp (Lev. 11:10 and Deut. 14:19)

Anything a woman touches during menstruation and for seven days thereafter
is unclean (Lev. 12:6)

Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them.
And all the people shall say Amen. (Deuteronomy 27:26)

Hybridization of animals and crops is condemned (Lev. 19:19)

Do not wear clothing of two kinds of material (Lev. 19:19 and Deut. 22:11)

It is an abomination to trim the hair on one's temples or to trim one's
beard (Lev. 19:28)

A stubborn or rebellious son shall be brought to the authorities and
stoned to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

And if a man sell a dwelling house in a walled city, then he may redeem
it within a whole year after it is sold; within a full year may he redeem
it. (Leviticus 25:29)

Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a
stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. (Exodus 23:9)

Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers
in the land of Egypt. (Exodus 20:21)

If a man marries a woman and discovers she is not a virgin, she is to be
stoned to death (Deut. 22:13)

People who divorce, then remarry, commit adultery. (Matt 5:3, 19:9 and
Mark 10:11)
You and many other take things out of context or do not understand the context in which they were given. Some of these quotes are as true today as they were when they were given. Some were just Jewish cleanliness laws (not sins) which were to prevent disease.

None of the Jewish laws are for Christians. We may eat what we wish.
Matthew 15:10-11

10After Jesus called the crowd to Him, He said to them, "Hear and understand.

11"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
You and many take scripture out of context or spew it forth without any understanding.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...I had the idea, wrong apparently, that MD had passed an amendment declaring marriage as between a man and woman.
Nope, not yet, though this might result in one like many other states have determined to be needed recently. Nothing motivates a legislature more then a judical act.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
ajhkmr97 said:
Saying "Gay christian" is like saying "honest crook" - there is no such thing
:yay: I've been trying to tell her that for the last couple of years. People want to believe what they want to believe.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
If you love the sinner, you don't want them to continue in their sin and suffer eternally for it.
The concepts of heaven and hell are not objective truth, but part of your belief system. You seem to equate non-Christians with alcoholics who can't or won't rescue themselves from their addiction. In my view, there is never any justification for telling someone else what to believe. Why would any belief system proclaim that unbelievers deserve to die and need to be rescued "for their own good", unless the motive was to control people? I think that hideous, totalitarian concept is unworthy of Christ and His followers.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Geek said:
In think it is just a matter of time before gay marraige is legal, and just like all the rights won for minorities, the world doesn't end...
But it will ... and won't there be big surprises for many.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
The concepts of heaven and hell are not objective truth, but part of your belief system. You seem to equate non-Christians with alcoholics who can't or won't rescue themselves from their addiction. In my view, there is never any justification for telling someone else what to believe. Why would any belief system proclaim that unbelievers deserve to die and need to be rescued "for their own good", unless the motive was to control people? I think that hideous, totalitarian concept is unworthy of Christ and His followers.
Of course you wouldn't believe in anything higher that you. You couldn't. It is human arrogance that pits humans against God and always has.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
Of course you wouldn't believe in anything higher that you. You couldn't. It is human arrogance that pits humans against God and always has.
Aaaagh!! I've said over and over that I believe in God, for reasons of my own. I just don't want you or anyone else on Earth to tell me what to believe. Why can't you just accept that you have no control over other people's beliefs?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
Do you realize how much that sounds like schadenfrede?
Do you mean "schadenfreude"?

It is not meant to be. I know that there are many that will, when they die or this world comes to an end, be very surprised that God is real and any fantasies they have about everyone going to heaven or that there is no God or heaven or hell will be completely dispelled to their utter dismay.

christy217

Geek said:
Here are some interesting quotes from the Bible.
Amos 5:21 - God hates his chosen ones

Isiah 45:7 - God is evil

Do not eat fat of ox, sheep or goats (Lev. 7.23)
Do not eat rabbit (Lev. 11:6)
Do not eat blood of fish, fowl or beast (Lev. 7:26)
Do not eat ham, bacon, pork chops or ribs (Lev. 11:7)
Do not eat lobster, crab, scallops or shrimp (Lev. 11:10 and Deut. 14:19)

Anything a woman touches during menstruation and for seven days thereafter
is unclean (Lev. 12:6)

Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them.
And all the people shall say Amen. (Deuteronomy 27:26)

Hybridization of animals and crops is condemned (Lev. 19:19)

Do not wear clothing of two kinds of material (Lev. 19:19 and Deut. 22:11)

It is an abomination to trim the hair on one's temples or to trim one's
beard (Lev. 19:28)

A stubborn or rebellious son shall be brought to the authorities and
stoned to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

And if a man sell a dwelling house in a walled city, then he may redeem
it within a whole year after it is sold; within a full year may he redeem
it. (Leviticus 25:29)

Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a
stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. (Exodus 23:9)

Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers
in the land of Egypt. (Exodus 20:21)

If a man marries a woman and discovers she is not a virgin, she is to be
stoned to death (Deut. 22:13)

People who divorce, then remarry, commit adultery. (Matt 5:3, 19:9 and
Mark 10:11)

2A see verse Lev 19:19 regarding clothing statement, tis true, I promise!

willie

2ndAmendment said:
That sounds a bit arrogant.