High gas prices? Thank a Democrat this November

Cowgirl

"If every home in America installed solar panels on the roof, we'd save a ton of energy. "

Oh god its SNIFF TEST TIME

OK, so we spend $8,000 on solar pannels (Conservitive estimate), to do this (New Batteries every 5 years not included), and charge up the car, see this article on a Solar Powered Gov test vehicle

Or

At $4 a gallon I drive the 25 miles to work and back, so I get to spend $4 each day, or in abot 8.3 years we are equal, and I don't need a $3000 outlay for new batteries, plus the $5000 extra just to buy the green battery equipped car up front.

Sniff test says, go with gas, let the tree huggers spend their cash for a feel good experience.

I've looked into it - basic systems I've been able to locate START somewhere in the range of 15 grand, and that doesn't include installation. And they'd contribute somewhere around 200 kW-hrs per month - so, it'd save me about what, 30 bucks a month, maybe? How long before I recoup my investment?

Until solar roofs become a lot more affordable, I don't really care how green they are.

The point is, new technology is expensive at first. How much did the first computers, CD players, microwaves, ect. cost? Once they become more common, they'll come down in price.

There's nothing wrong with developing new energy sources.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Hey,

I Google'd this and can't find where he said this anywhere.

When and were did he say this? Can you post a link? Or is this another e-mail you got?

TIA,
Andy :howdy:

Actually I heard him state it live on CNN, and if you can search YouTube for news exerts, it's there. But in hindsight I do believe he said it in a context that the high prices make people look for alternatives and as a result supports high prices, he just didn't think it would happen so fast and shock peoples wallets...

Cowgirl

I calculate 44.4 years. Will you keep your green car that long?

He's not talking about cars, he's talking about solar roofing. I did a quick search (since I'm not an expert on solar roofing) and found this website.

Your commitment to clean energy is also a wise financial strategy. A properly designed and installed Solar system can pay for itself in as little as 5 to 10 years—and even faster if special electric rates apply.

Depending on the size of your system, and on your expectations for increases in the price of electricity, the Net Present Values (NPV) for a typical system are in the range of $3,000 to well over $10,000 for people with high electric bills. Click on this link to see What Size System Is Right For You.

According to a recent study from the Appraisal Institute, the selling price of homes increases by $20.73 for every $1 decrease in annual electric bills. Using this 20:1 multiplier, a typical 3kW system—costing about $12,000 after incentives and saving about $1,000 in annual energy costs—will increase the value of your home by $20,000.
:shrug: I'm not saying everyone should run out and install a solar roof, but I'm saying it's beneficial in the long run to develop some alternative energy sources.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Actually I heard him state it live on CNN, and if you can search YouTube for news exerts, it's there. But in hindsight I do believe he said it in a context that the high prices make people look for alternatives and as a result supports high prices, he just didn't think it would happen so fast and shock peoples wallets...
I agree with him.

Democrats have been talking about alternatives for years and most people said everything will be fine. I remember 5, 6 years ago, they were predicting doom and gloom. 4 years ago, I watched a documentary fortellind $11.00/gal. gas by 2011 if a terror attack or something happened overseas.

Now we're at the point of no return. If we would've looked into alternatives then, we might've found a solution by now.

In hindsight, if we would've started drilling in America 5-6 years ago when Bush said we needed to start drilling here, we would see lower gas prices now.

wintersprings

He's not talking about cars, he's talking about solar roofing. I did a quick search (since I'm not an expert on solar roofing) and found this website.

:shrug: I'm not saying everyone should run out and install a solar roof, but I'm saying it's beneficial in the long run to develop some alternative energy sources.

Ok if i live in Arizona, but NOT MARYLAND. Geeeeeeeeeeee

Using their calculator, Calculator using NJ as the state, I save a whopping $48/month. Or 20.8 YEARS to break even.

Again..its NOT cost effective....Duh

AndyMarquisLIVE

Right now, the alternative is more expensive.

Wait until winter though, when it's cold and everyone is running their heaters. :faint:

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
What about more energy efficient designs for buildings and vehicles?

I rent but use "passive" techniques to keep my place cooler/warmer. I have hitched on to the hypermiler trend to wring every mile I can out of my gas tank.

Is it just me, or are the so called "green" cars getting worse gas mileage than the eco-boxs of the 80s/90s?

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Ok if i live in Arizona, but NOT MARYLAND. Geeeeeeeeeeee

Using their calculator, Calculator using NJ as the state, I save a whopping $48/month. Or 20.8 YEARS to break even.

Again..its NOT cost effective....Duh

You can do little things now that would not cost much. Passive solar landscaping, window films, shades, attic fans, solar outdoor lighting, adjust the thermostat, etc. Green for the earth and your wallet.

This_person

Maybe not this second, but it WILL be.
It MIGHT be, one day, maybe.

Things do get cheaper over time from new technology. So, solar is pretty new, right? I mean, it's not like they've been using solar panels for decades.....

Oh, wait, never mind.

Seriously, though, finding good alternatives is a good mid-term solution. But, for the next couple of decades, those of us with limited resources will probably stick to oil products.

Cowgirl

It MIGHT be, one day, maybe.

Things do get cheaper over time from new technology. So, solar is pretty new, right? I mean, it's not like they've been using solar panels for decades.....

Oh, wait, never mind.

Seriously, though, finding good alternatives is a good mid-term solution. But, for the next couple of decades, those of us with limited resources will probably stick to oil products.

Perhaps they've been around for decades, but they're not being used as frequently as other things. Think of other technology that's dramatically decreased in price: microwaves, TVs, CD and DVD players. They're pretty common in most American households. Solar panels? Not so much.

Besides, we're talking about a big investment that will save people money in the long run. Look at the money people throw away on vehicles every year! Trucks for $50K?! They cost you money each month, not save you. And after 5-10 yrs you'd be lucky to get much money from resale.

Anyway, I'm bored with discussing this. :howdy:

This_person

Perhaps they've been around for decades, but they're not being used as frequently as other things. Think of other technology that's dramatically decreased in price: microwaves, TVs, CD and DVD players. They're pretty common in most American households. Solar panels? Not so much.

Besides, we're talking about a big investment that will save people money in the long run. Look at the money people throw away on vehicles every year! Trucks for $50K?! They cost you money each month, not save you. And after 5-10 yrs you'd be lucky to get much money from resale.

Anyway, I'm bored with discussing this. :howdy:
Agree with all you say. Just know it won't change anything in the near future.

See ya!:howdy:

Pete

Repete
It is not a republican problem or a democrat problem, it is an AMERICAN problem. We live an opulent lifestyle. Even our poor live better than most of the worlds population. Our society has been built upon the idea that petroleum would always be cheap and plentiful.

We drive large less efficient cars.

We drive long distances routinely.

We are stubbornly independent and do not embrace public transportation.

We waste vast quantities of everything from food to fuel.

We are spoiled.

We do not live in close communities anymore. We commute great distances to/from work.

We do not live close to family members anymore. We move away and drive/fly to visit.

This whole oil thing is nothing more than pure economics. Nothing has changed in the last 3 years that could logically explain the price increase. The reason is speculation and the OPEC nations allowing it to happen. Since they all work in collusion with each other and demand is now up because of globalization they can experiment with the price. They keep increasing it inch by inch until they reach the point of pain. Then they back off a little. Price it just under the point of pain and decreased sales and count your cash.

ImnoMensa

I'm not your hon. :nono: Only Baja can get away with calling me that. I agree that we should improve our petroleum based fuel efficiency, but I also think it's extremely important that we continue to look into renewable energy sources. If every home in America installed solar panels on the roof, we'd save a ton of energy. Prices would come down because more people are using solar. I knew of a farmer in VT who had 1 windmill installed on his farm. It paid for itself in 3 years. It's now providing enough energy to run his entire farm, and he's selling electricity back to the power company. I realize that it's not feasible for everyone to have a windmill, but it's very do-able in a lot of cases.

I think we could drill now to ease things up a bit, but eventually we're going to have to look into alternative fuel sources. Wouldn't it be smart to develop those sources now, instead of waiting until we rely 100% on another country? We shouldn't wait until we're out of oil, we need to plan ahead. Just because there are no perfect solutions now doesn't mean we won't eventually get 1 or 2 perfect solutions.

And companies have already looked into windfarms off coastlines, but guess what? People don't want to ruin their view. :drama:

Sorry about the Hon. I forget that Maryland is now filled with strangers that dont understand the local colloqialism's.

ImnoMensa

Sorry about the Hon. I forget that Maryland is now filled with strangers that dont understand the local colloqialism's.

By the way , by the time you get your solar panels paid for they will have quit working and you will have purchased new ones. Its not like you put them up and they last forever.

We should be driling right now for the future and putting that oil shale to use.

Wars are terrible things but look at the technology they produce.
World War 2 created the Atomic bomb and Nuclear power. Jet engines. Synthetic fuels and oils , which we should be using now.

Recently I read of a new oil refinery in South Dakota that would take 4 years to build. It took less than three years to build Oak Ridge atomic energy center during the war. If things get bad enough I dont doubt for a mniute we will drill, and drill like hell, but why wait. Do it now.

I remember in Maryland when Ehrlich wanted slot machines badly to slow raising taxes. Of course the Democrats didnt want that, They were afraid it might work. Then MOM gets elected and all of a sudden the Dems want slots.

I suspect after the election if Obama gets elected we will see the Democrats agree to drill for oil. Right now they simply dont want a Republican to claim it was the answer and they got it done. I also suspect we will stay in Iraq.

Cowgirl

I'm from Maryland, not a "stranger." It came across as condescending, especially because we're typing instead of having a normal conversation. :howdy:

wintersprings

"big investment that will save people money in the long run."

Gee how many times do we have to say.... NO

Right now it will cost you MORE money in the long run.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee