High gas prices? Thank a Democrat this November

SamSpade

"I've seen firsthand that wind and solar energy can work for people."

I agree it can work if you have the sunlight. Just not in Maryland at $4.00 a gallon for gas, or .14$ for Utility power.

All I asked for was proof, in hard cold numbers, not some feel good, its going to work answer.

You should color your hair.

Well on the other hand, wind power could conceivably be used to great effectiveness for household use. The problem with THAT is, no one want to live in a neighborhood where people have 100 foot towers with windmills on top. They run day and night, summer, winter and actually run a little better in bad weather.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
My question is what is everyone doing right now to lower their energy costs?

There is a ton of information on the internet on how to lower your energy consumption in ways that are not expensive or even free. It's more than just using CFL lightbulbs (which btw also lower cooling costs as they don't generate the heat incadecents do).

This_person

My question is what is everyone doing right now to lower their energy costs?

There is a ton of information on the internet on how to lower your energy consumption in ways that are not expensive or even free. It's more than just using CFL lightbulbs (which btw also lower cooling costs as they don't generate the heat incadecents do).
Here's something the government could subsidize to put on all cars, and tractors, and......

MMDad

Lem Putt
Here's something the government could subsidize to put on all cars, and tractors, and......

:eyebrow: Are you being sarcastic, or do you actually believe that one?

People like to latch onto hydrogen power and fuel cells because their cars won't emit any exhaust other than water. What they ignore is that it takes energy to make the hydrogen. That energy comes mostly from coal, with some oil, gas, nuclear, and hydro. Net benefit to the atmosphere = zero.

We also don't have that much excess generating capacity even if we did have electric cars. "Greenies" won't let you build power plants anymore.

SamSpade

Seen this and others like it for years, but basically I think it's bull.

They're somehow splitting apart water and using the energy AGAIN when it is burned. To get a joule of energy, you have to "get it" from somewhere - you can't split water into H2 and O2 and then put it back together and get energy you didn't have before.

This_person

:eyebrow: Are you being sarcastic, or do you actually believe that one?

People like to latch onto hydrogen power and fuel cells because their cars won't emit any exhaust other than water. What they ignore is that it takes energy to make the hydrogen. That energy comes mostly from coal, with some oil, gas, nuclear, and hydro. Net benefit to the atmosphere = zero.

We also don't have that much excess generating capacity even if we did have electric cars. "Greenies" won't let you build power plants anymore.
Partially sarcastic, partially real. A lot of car driving is idling, or greatly underutilizing the engine. You could, conceivably, make a device that would not tax the engine when it's being wasted anyway, and then use the hydrogen to aid the car later. A help, not a replacement.

wintersprings

Well on the other hand, wind power could conceivably be used to great effectiveness for household use. The problem with THAT is, no one want to live in a neighborhood where people have 100 foot towers with windmills on top. They run day and night, summer, winter and actually run a little better in bad weather.

do you have any hard math to support such a claim?

vegmom

Bookseller Lady

I've seen similar items in researching ways to cut my gas consumption. It's called "Brown's Gas". Doesn't seem to have much proof that it works though.

I've read a few hypermiler forums for ideas. Not ready to try any of their more extreme measures (coasting with the engine off or disconnecting the alternator and using home charger for battery) but many other suggestions I've tried have worked.

This_person

They're somehow splitting apart water and using the energy AGAIN when it is burned. To get a joule of energy, you have to "get it" from somewhere - you can't split water into H2 and O2 and then put it back together and get energy you didn't have before.
You have your finger right on it here. It takes energy to get the hydrogen, and that energy is usually more than you get burning the hydrogen. That being said, it's possible to use it to increase the efficiency of cars when the engine is running and doing nothing for you but charging the battery (idling, braking, downhill, etc.). I think it could be used to gain overall efficiency, even though it technically loses energy. We waste a lot already, and it would limit that waste.

SamSpade

do you have any hard math to support such a claim?
You mean, can they be used effectively? Yeah, depending on the size.

I typically consume anywhere between 2000-4000 kWh a month. So if a medium sized wind system can provide 15,000 kWh a year, I'd say that's pretty damned good. You can look up domestic wind turbines and see something like that, easily.

The down side is significant, though. You're just not going to easily get a large wind turbine approved. No one wants an 8 meter turbine on a 60-100 foot tower in the house next door.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
There are ways you can use solar on a smaller scale that can nip away at your power bill. Solar outdoor lighting is one instance. There are also small power supplies that can be charged from solar panels (like you would use to power a compressor or tools) and chargers for batteries, cell phones, ipods, etc. I am thinking of getting one of the latter to charge all our portable crap.

SamSpade

There are ways you can use solar on a smaller scale that can nip away at your power bill. Solar outdoor lighting is one instance.

Or you can just use a torch. Or go inside. Seriously, I can't think of a really great reason to have outdoor lights on at all, or all that much. I've been known to turn off the porch light before my guests have left the driveway.

I've gone through the SMECO audit before, and I do use CF where possible - my wife is not very fond of them, because the light they give off is weak, and they take a while to warm up to full "light-age". I've insulated where possible.

The next step really is to replace energy wasting appliances and the heat pump, but that's a ways off. If I had a choice and could afford it, I'd go geothermal with the heat/AC - but I can't afford it.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
I would have solar lights for when I come home at night. I've tried setting things on a timer, but sometimes I'm not sure when we'll be home and I hate to have a light sit on for hours. A couple of those small accent type lights would be enough for us to get up the driveway and into the house. An LED flood light would be better, but I can't figure out how I would aim it to not shine straight in to mine or neighbors windows.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I would have solar lights for when I come home at night. I've tried setting things on a timer, but sometimes I'm not sure when we'll be home and I hate to have a light sit on for hours. A couple of those small accent type lights would be enough for us to get up the driveway and into the house. An LED flood light would be better, but I can't figure out how I would aim it to not shine straight in to mine or neighbors windows.

If you're afraid of the dark, just get a little flashlight.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
They have done nothing, and in fact they think the price of gas is a little to low.

Can anyone say new Taxes.......are comming after this next election?
Here you go....

Attachments

• AmishGasSign.jpg
    AmishGasSign.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 70

SamSpade

If you're afraid of the dark, just get a little flashlight.

Well there are other ways. I have a car whose headlights go off after a minute or two. That usually works for me. Similarly, remote controls for outdoor lights also work, and we also have motion detecting floodlights, which we can turn off completely from indoors.

Then there's the garage, which is lit during the door opening and closing times.

Usually don't need to leave the lights on.

ImnoMensa

Those new bulbs dont come on immediately. they take about ten seconds to light.

Kind of annoying wondering if they are going to work. They do last a long time though.

bcp

In My Opinion
no need to insult her.
she, like many others are just fed up with the lack of investment into alternative energy, her problem, just like many others, is that she does not realize that it is not the governments responsibility to bring us new energy sources.
The responsibility is with the business to bring us alternatives, until such a time that they see it worth their investment to do something, its not going to happen.
dont complain about the president, or the congress on this one, either complain to the current energy providers, the makers of the products that use that energy, or come up with an idea and find funding to bring it to realization.

the government was never intended to hold our hands every moment of our life, the people have to do for themselves.