High School Football This Weekend

RayGun

Has anyone been reading the Athlete Diary in the Enterprise...that Petett kid gets it! His parents should be very proud of him.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Game of the Week - Washington Post

Thursday, October 1, 2009
Game of the Week: Lackey at Great Mills, 7 p.m. Friday

After more than a decade of toiling at the bottom of the Southern Maryland Athletic Conference football standings, Great Mills has something to be excited about in the fall. The Hornets (3-1) are off to their best start since beginning 4-0 in 1995, their last winning season.

The upstarts from St. Mary's County could face their stiffest test of the season when they play perennial SMAC contender Lackey (2-2, 1-1 SMAC).

"They're all really excited to go up against someone that's consistently been at the top," said Coach Bill Griffith, who attended Lackey and played on the Chargers' 1986 championship team. "They also know that Lackey's my alma mater and how much it would mean to get a win against them personally."

Griffith's Hornets have never defeated the Chargers, who are young and going through some growing pains. A win against Lackey would be a monumental steppingstone for a program that had just 21 wins from 1996 to 2008.

For Great Mills to make the most of its opportunity, its defense must continue to excel. The Hornets have recorded two shutouts after not posting one since 1997, and leading the defensive effort is linebacker Derrick Petett, who has recorded two sacks and a league-high 47 tackles through four games.

Senior defensive back Basil Moye and sophomore linebacker Aaron Wilkerson also make regular appearances in opponents' backfields, with five and three sacks, respectively.

"Derrick's been a real leader this year," Griffith said. "He's led our team in tackles the past two years, but he wanted to step up and make this season different. Our defense has just been outstanding so far. We still have room to improve, but it really has been our backbone."

If they hope to continue winning, the Hornets must limit their turnovers and nerves. In their 21-14 loss at Calvert in Week 2, it was Great Mills's fumble and then roughing-the-kicker penalty in the fourth quarter that turned the game in the Cavaliers' favor.

And Friday, in a 14-12 win over Northern, the Hornets turned the ball over twice inside the 20-yard line, so they know there's still plenty of room for improvement.

"Those are things we can't do," Griffith said. "But those are also an effect of the kids being so excited about what they're doing. Historically, they haven't been inside the 20 a lot; just by being at that spot on the field they overcompensate because none of them want to make any mistakes."

Other Game

-- Calvert at No. 14 Huntingtown, 7 p.m. Thursday: In a week of Calvert County rivalry games, the Cavaliers (3-1, 2-1 SMAC) must visit the Hurricanes (4-0, 3-0 SMAC), who are flying high after capturing a win over defending 3A champion Westlake for the first time in school history.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Lackey 34 - GMHS 25

What a great game until the last seven minutes. The GMHS defense seemed to be in much better shape than Lackey's. The offense seemed to have a case of poor timing and were a just step off.
What an improvement over last year!
Lackey was very lucky to have pulled this off.

Last edited:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Lackey 34 - GMHS 25

What a great game until the last seven minutes. The GMHS defense seemed to be in much better shape than Lackey's. The offense seemed to have a case of poor timing and were a just step off.

Congrats to GMHS for having a good showing. Too bad they weren't able to pull off the upset.

Chopticon lost 35-14 to McDonough. I was too busy babysitting to really watch the game, so I have no further commentary other than Bryan Robeson made some stellar catches for CHS! I'm so proud of him! :clap:

RayGun

Lackey 34 - GMHS 25

Oustanding game: But my question is why would you try passing the ball ~ he (Coach Griff) should have ran the ball to run time off the clock. GMHS team won that game but play calling lost it for them!

smilin

BOXER NATION
Oustanding game: But my question is why would you try passing the ball ~ he (Coach Griff) should have ran the ball to run time off the clock. GMHS team won that game but play calling lost it for them!

It was a huge mistake I'll bet Griff will not make again. Sort of like a couple our Redskin head coach wishes he had back.
What a different team from last year. They positively ran everywhere. Moved with confidence, listened to their coaches and should have won. Griff and his staff have done an outstanding job with these young men.
Broke my heart to see such an effort with seven minutes left, up by (?) 12 and then watching Lackey score twice in under two minutes.
That's why it's called: playing, not winning football.
Gotta love the game.
:buddies:

RayGun

It was a huge mistake I'll bet Griff will not make again. Sort of like a couple our Redskin head coach wishes he had back.
What a different team from last year. They positively ran everywhere. Moved with confidence, listened to their coaches and should have won. Griff and his staff have done an outstanding job with these young men.
Broke my heart to see such an effort with seven minutes left, up by (?) 12 and then watching Lackey score twice in under two minutes.
That's why it's called: playing, not winning football.
Gotta love the game.
:buddies:

You are so right..his coaching staff have done an outstanding job and they (as a team) have come a long way. It broke my heart as well. Now we move on to next week. GO GREAT MILLS!:buddies:

smilin

BOXER NATION
Just looked up the updated state rankings:
Chopticon is in top 100 (obviously they don't take record in to account)..
GMHS is 113
Ryken is ranked above Leonardtown...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Just looked up the updated state rankings:
Chopticon is in top 100 (obviously they don't take record in to account)..
GMHS is 113
Ryken is ranked above Leonardtown...

Where have you been? That's old news. :lol:

Chopticon has a VERY winnable game tonight vs. Northern...IF they keep their heads in the game after halftime, which seems to be their downfall. :ohwell:

Leonardtown should beat La Plata easily tonight in their Homecoming game.

Great Mills is playing a winnable game as well.

Could it be? Could all 3 county teams win this weekend? :faint:

JohnH

Sorry to ruin the "ALL COUNTY WINNING PARTY" but,
Leonardtown lost their homecoming game to LaPlata 31-3...

Still trying to get a Great Mills at Patuxent score...

GREAT GAME by Bam Wroble at the Chopticon at Northern game as he had a
66 yard "PICK 6" and tipped away a 2 pt conversion in the 4th quarter in the CHS win...Also made many tackles on the defensive end! The CHS defensive unit did a great job all night...

JohnH

Sorry Great Mills fans...Frank Taitano ran all over them as Patuxent won 43-14. Next week they get Leonardtown and then it is GM at CHS...

Chopticon Plays at Calvert on Thursday...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Sorry to ruin the "ALL COUNTY WINNING PARTY" but,
Leonardtown lost their homecoming game to LaPlata 31-3...

Still trying to get a Great Mills at Patuxent score...

GREAT GAME by Bam Wroble at the Chopticon at Northern game as he had a
66 yard "PICK 6" and tipped away a 2 pt conversion in the 4th quarter in the CHS win...Also made many tackles on the defensive end! The CHS defensive unit did a great job all night...

I guess you can see I was multitasking...:biggrin:

Those boys were on such a high when they got back to school. It was a great sight.