High School Football This Weekend

smilin

BOXER NATION
Now for Lackey, North Point and Huntingtown!
Oh that's right LHS and CHS are in there too!
How would you like THAT schedule. Pressure?
Drum roll please...

RayGun

Now for Lackey, North Point and Huntingtown!
Oh that's right LHS and CHS are in there too!
How would you like THAT schedule. Pressure?
Drum roll please...

No pressure! GMH has done better than they did the last two years so they have nothing to loose. Anyway, I see maybe 3 or 4 wins out of the ones you listed. Drum roll please...

smilin

BOXER NATION
GMHS's state rankings went from around 200 to 107 - however CHS is still around 100.
Go figure.
:yahoo:

JohnH

GMHS's state rankings went from around 200 to 107 - however CHS is still around 100.
Go figure.
:yahoo:

Even though CHS is 0-4 they have had BY FAR the toughest schedule in the state...(according to the rankings)
Game 1 Westlake (3-1) Game 2 Gwynn Park (4-0) Game 3 Huntingtown (4-0) Game 4 North Point (4-0)...The only loss among them is when Huntingtown beat Westlake this week...

smilin

BOXER NATION
Even though CHS is 0-4 they have had BY FAR the toughest schedule in the state...(according to the rankings)
Game 1 Westlake (3-1) Game 2 Gwynn Park (4-0) Game 3 Huntingtown (4-0) Game 4 North Point (4-0)...The only loss among them is when Huntingtown beat Westlake this week...

The end of the season ought to be a piece of cake then. Only two of the teams CHS will play have a winning record.
GMHS plays Huntingtown, North Point. I don't doubt for a minute that Patuxent, Lackey or CHS won't show up.
Should make for a very interesting and fun High School football season -
it's about time!

:clap:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
The end of the season ought to be a piece of cake then. Only two of the teams CHS will play have a winning record.
GMHS plays Huntingtown, North Point. I don't doubt for a minute that Patuxent, Lackey or CHS won't show up.
Should make for a very interesting and fun High School football season -
it's about time!

:clap:

I'd gladly exchange CHS's schedule this season for what GMHS has. Stone? Landsdowne? We couldn't get that lucky this year. :ohwell:

Not sure what his name is, but #4 for North Point is just straight up sick. He's like his own little circus act.

Ibelieve

A week late and $3 short
Don't forget about tonight's Board of Education meeting at 5:30 p.m. to discuss and get public comment on the turf fields for the three high schools in St. Mary's County. Please come out and show your support or voice your opposition if you so choose. My personal stance is that it would be a good thing for our athletic progams and give us a chance to showcase our talents even more.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Don't forget about tonight's Board of Education meeting at 5:30 p.m. to discuss and get public comment on the turf fields for the three high schools in St. Mary's County. Please come out and show your support or voice your opposition if you so choose. My personal stance is that it would be a good thing for our athletic progams and give us a chance to showcase our talents even more.

How'd it go? Couldn't make it.
:popcorn:

Ibelieve

A week late and $3 short
How'd it go? Couldn't make it.
:popcorn:

In my opinion, it went extremely well. Quite a few supporters showed up and Dr. Martirano, Dr. Roper and Mr. Clements gave a well thought out presentation to the BOE. This endeavor will not just be for turf fields, although this was the primary focus. It is an objective to improve all of the athletic facilities in all three high schools for all sports (locker rooms, practice fields, etc.). In a nutshell, a committee is being formed to provide all the data necessary to make an intelligent and fiscally responsible decision.

The Board is in support of the project unanimously and basically said, if the funding were there, we'd break ground tomorrow. However, because the funds are not there, it is up to us (the community) to raise the funds. One thing they did not clearly state was if they would allow corporate sponsorship thereby making it necessary to allow for signage acknowledging donors.

One other point that was brought up was while the BOE does not need convincing, the County Commissioners will. Being an election year, and insinuating that we don't need to spend our money on these type of things during "tough economic times" makes for a difficult road ahead with them. However, I believe this committee will make a clear, strong case as to why we need to do this for the children and why we need to do it now.

The plan is to keep the community abreast of the situation every step of the way via the press, special meetings, etc. The committee convenes in the next 2-3 weeks and is expected to have a final report by May 2010. However, knowing some of the people assigned to the committee, I'm fairly certain they will have a report long before that deadline.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
In my opinion, it went extremely well. Quite a few supporters showed up and Dr. Martirano, Dr. Roper and Mr. Clements gave a well thought out presentation to the BOE. This endeavor will not just be for turf fields, although this was the primary focus. It is an objective to improve all of the athletic facilities in all three high schools for all sports (locker rooms, practice fields, etc.). In a nutshell, a committee is being formed to provide all the data necessary to make an intelligent and fiscally responsible decision.

The Board is in support of the project unanimously and basically said, if the funding were there, we'd break ground tomorrow. However, because the funds are not there, it is up to us (the community) to raise the funds. One thing they did not clearly state was if they would allow corporate sponsorship thereby making it necessary to allow for signage acknowledging donors.

One other point that was brought up was while the BOE does not need convincing, the County Commissioners will. Being an election year, and insinuating that we don't need to spend our money on these type of things during "tough economic times" makes for a difficult road ahead with them. However, I believe this committee will make a clear, strong case as to why we need to do this for the children and why we need to do it now.

The plan is to keep the community abreast of the situation every step of the way via the press, special meetings, etc. The committee convenes in the next 2-3 weeks and is expected to have a final report by May 2010. However, knowing some of the people assigned to the committee, I'm fairly certain they will have a report long before that deadline.

So who do we call to set up the pizza fundraiser to get this thing started? How many do each of us have to sell? :popcorn:

Last edited:

JohnH

I'd gladly exchange CHS's schedule this season for what GMHS has. Stone? Landsdowne? We couldn't get that lucky this year. :ohwell:

Not sure what his name is, but #4 for North Point is just straight up sick. He's like his own little circus act.

#4 is Emanuel Onakoya....and he is not even to be considered their "star" running back....#3 Arlando Scott is the one that has all the colleges drooling (did not score but, had 97 yds rushing)

The remainder of the CHS schedule will be easier but, no piece of cake with
McDonough, Calvert and Northern much improved, GM at 3-1 (yes, easy schedule) PLUS Patuxent and their STUD running back Frank Taitano. AT LEAST WE GET LEONARDTOWN IN WEEK TEN! (just joking LHS fans...)

RayGun

#4 is Emanuel Onakoya....and he is not even to be considered their "star" running back....#3 Arlando Scott is the one that has all the colleges drooling (did not score but, had 97 yds rushing)

The remainder of the CHS schedule will be easier but, no piece of cake with
McDonough, Calvert and Northern much improved, GM at 3-1 (yes, easy schedule) PLUS Patuxent and their STUD running back Frank Taitano. AT LEAST WE GET LEONARDTOWN IN WEEK TEN! (just joking LHS fans...)

So you are saying that GM has an easy schedule~what about the last 14 seasons? I'm sure out of 140 games at 10 games a season; they could have had an easy schedule at lease one year. GIVE THESE YOUNG MEN SOME CREDIT. No one it seems wants to give Great Mills any recognition on anything good. WHY? Now I understand why some of the kids feel they way they do, it’s because everyone in the community thinks only bad things come out of Great Mills High School and that’s the attitude that they take. You are so wrong!

yankee44

So you are saying that GM has an easy schedule~what about the last 14 seasons? I'm sure out of 140 games at 10 games a season; they could have had an easy schedule at lease one year. GIVE THESE YOUNG MEN SOME CREDIT. No one it seems wants to give Great Mills any recognition on anything good. WHY? Now I understand why some of the kids feel they way they do, it’s because everyone in the community thinks only bad things come out of Great Mills High School and that’s the attitude that they take. You are so wrong!

I am with you Ray!!!

Went and watched the game last Friday, there is alot of fight in them boys. You needed a stop they came up big and gave it to you. It was also one of the worst reffed game that I think I have ever seen. How many times did they let them get away wit 12 men in the huddle?

Go HORNETS!!!!!!!

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I am with you Ray!!!

Went and watched the game last Friday, there is alot of fight in them boys. You needed a stop they came up big and gave it to you. It was also one of the worst reffed game that I think I have ever seen. How many times did they let them get away wit 12 men in the huddle?

Go HORNETS!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone's taking anything away from GMHS. They've definitely done some good things this year; however, if they had a schedule like the one Chopticon has, I don't know if they'd have the same record as they do right now.

Props to whoever lit a fire under the program though; there is definitely a "swagger" in the school community that has been lacking far too long. A "Pride Inside" if you will...:lol: My heart bleeds red and black, but I also support GMHS athletics for many reasons.

JohnH

Not knocking what Great Mills has done at all...and I hope they continue to have a good season. (BTW...IF the playoffs were held NOW GM and Calvert would BOTH be in the playoffs) You can only play the team in front of you each week...They have some talented players like their QB-Jenner, Moye, Pettit and that tall (6'4") sophomore WR... They have the opportunity to do some damage in SMAC...They easily could finish 6-4 or 7-3 this season and possibly be a 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs. But, again...it would be interesting to see if things were different if they had the same starting 4 games as CHS...