How much do u pay for daycare?

CMC122

Go Braves!
$50 for pre-k before care, big sister watches them after they get off the bus until Daddy gets home. I'm extremely fortunate that it works out that way:yay:

Is there something wrong with having your 10yr old in daycare?
Nope, it's what RESPONSIBLE parents do.
If I remember correctly,
It's illegal to leave a child under 11 home alone.
It's illegal to leave a child under 11 home with a child under 13 to watch them.

sockgirl77

Latch and key kids are under 11, right?

How much do u pay for... 02-04-2008 08:32 AM maybe you should look up "latchkey kid"

According to what I am seeing, 8 years old is the legal age to leave a child alone afterschool. I think that is way too young.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Nope, it's what RESPONSIBLE parents do.
If I remember correctly,
It's illegal to leave a child under 11 home alone.
It's illegal to leave a child under 11 home with a child under 13 to watch them.
No, the home alone age is 8. But that is ridiculous IMO.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
No, the home alone age is 8. But that is ridiculous IMO.

I don't leave him at home alone at 10, I sure in hell am not leaving him at 8.

Even though he would only be home for about 10-15 minutes alone in the afternoon, I think I'll stick with him getting off the bus at daycare.

Dymphna

I don't leave him at home alone at 10, I sure in hell am not leaving him at 8.

Even though he would only be home for about 10-15 minutes alone in the afternoon, I think I'll stick with him getting off the bus at daycare.
I don't blame you. You know your son best.

For that short of time, I could see it either way, but most kids get off the bus to some sort of supervision, be it an adult or older sibling, until at least middle school.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think that the $100 for before and after care is a little steep seeing as she has him under 2.5 hours a day. At home provider in Great Mills.

As a parent I agree.. but if I was a daycare provider?

Looking at it from their perspective.. the part time kid that they only watch 2.5 hours a day takes away from their alotment of full time kids they can watch.

If you can only watch 15 kids at a time, and you have 5 before and after school kids, you can only have 10 fulltime kids.. They lose quite a bit of change for every before and after kid they take in. I don't think many (if any) of these daycare providers are huge franchises that can survive taking too many losses like that.

I know, doesn't make writing that check every week any easier, but just a different perspective..

Last edited:

Dymphna

As a parent I agree.. but if I was a daycare provider?

Looking at it from their perspective.. the part time kid that they only watch 2.5 hours a day takes away from their alotment of full time kids they can watch.

If you can only watch 15 kids at a time, and you have 5 before and after school kids, you can only have 10 fulltime kids.. They lose quite a bit of change for every before and after kid they take in. I don't think many (if any) of these daycare providers are huge franchises that can survive taking too many losses like that.

I know, doesn't make writing that check every week any easier, but just a different perspective..
What have you done with the real Bob?

Oh, and imagine instead of 15 kids, state law limits you to 8? (If there are 15 kids in ANY daycare home, please report them, even a "small group" center is limited to 12)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What have you done with the real Bob?

Oh, and imagine instead of 15 kids, state law limits you to 8? (If there are 15 kids in ANY daycare home, please report them, even a "small group" center is limited to 12)

Just pulled a number out of the air for 'an example'..

But i thought 8 was for in home.. and the 12 was >2 year old children PER daycare employee. But I don't know for sure.. just a guess.

Place like Imaginations has 3 full time early childhood educators, they can have 36 kids in care at one time??

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I know. I am feeling a little pissy today.

minigun.gif

This is only a test..