Hummingbird 2024

Kinnakeet

We now have 6 flying around and 1 little azzhole I have named George will fly in and knock others off the feeder I cannot figure out why all of them come to 1 feeder when there is 3 of them

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I've got three feeders up.

#1 - only ever see two users, very aggressive. Pint lasts about 5 days.
#2 - three to five users, not nearly aggressive as #1. Pint lasts 2 days.
#3 - too many to count (wife estimates about 20), very active comings and goings. Fresh pint about every five to six hours.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have also noticed a lot more blue birds this year. Neighbors put up a blue bird house and they said there have been 3 families in it so far this season. I actually saw 3 yellow goldfinchs this morning on my way to work.

Kinnakeet

I've got three feeders up.

#1 - only ever see two users, very aggressive. Pint lasts about 5 days.
#2 - three to five users, not nearly aggressive as #1. Pint lasts 2 days.
#3 - too many to count (wife estimates about 20), very active comings and goings. Fresh pint about every five to six hours.
You might want to buy stock in sugar if you make your own brew for them for #3

Ken King

PREMO Member
Oh, one other thing I discovered is that when one particular bird is chasing, or maybe being chased, it makes like a siren sound as they scream by (think WWII German Stuka dive-bomber).

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Oh, one other thing I discovered is that when one particular bird is chasing, or maybe being chased, it makes like a siren sound as they scream by (think WWII German Stuka dive-bomber).
I've hear plenty of chatter and annoyance sounds, but never a dive bomb run siren. :lol:

Kinnakeet

They just keep coming now those pesky hornets or wasp are in the mix I seen 1 wasp/hornet chase a bird off when he comes back it is going down like kamala on sweet willy brown .

Ken King

PREMO Member
now those pesky hornets or wasp are in the mix
Had a similar issue in seasons past. The wife had me take ziplock sandwich bags with about an inch of water and a penny in each corner and hang them on the porch between the feeders (theory is that a wasp/hornet/bee will view them as larger critter). I thought it was BS, but what could it hurt, so I did it. Haven't had a problem with them this year as in years past.

luvmygdaughters

We now have 6 flying around and 1 little azzhole I have named George will fly in and knock others off the feeder I cannot figure out why all of them come to 1 feeder when there is 3 of them
Ours do the same thing. We've got four feeders but they all like to flock to one and then chase each other off. My husband thought maybe the other ones were clogged, checked them and they're working fine. :sshrug:

Ken King

PREMO Member

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I have also noticed a lot more blue birds this year. Neighbors put up a blue bird house and they said there have been 3 families in it so far this season. I actually saw 3 yellow goldfinchs this morning on my way to work.
I have a male and female goldfinch that come daily to drink. I have a birdbath that I keep full, and a 9" shallow dish on the bird feeder, but the finches and other small birds won't use those. They insist on drinking from that little tiny bit of water, that's supposed to be an ant barrier, in the hummingbird feeder.
Capture.JPG