Marijuana should be legal...

D

dems4me

Re: Agree with Spoiled

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
I have to agree with Spoiled on this matter. I do agree that smoking a joint is harmful to one's health. So is smoking a cigar, doing a pinch of snuff, smoking a cig, drinking a beer or doing a shot...
]

I disagree :shrug: Isn't there something called a contact high...if someone is on the beach next to me, I don't care what it looks like... I don't want to get high too -- is that what folks mean by contact high???:confused:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Agree with Spoiled

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
I also don't think that smoking a joint turns you into some type of drug fiend or monster who will do anything for their next high. It's no different than beer or tobacco.
Case in point...my friend Johnny was a well-adjusted, intelligent individual who had a wonderful life. He was one of the top sellers at the top dealership in Va Beach, making tons of money, drove a kick-ass car (Lincoln LS Sport), basically had nothing to complain about. He started smoking weed. Pretty soon that wasn't good enough. He started doing coke, pretty soon that wasn't good enough. Unfortunately no one knew about this (he hid it extremely well) until he died of an overdose on Christmas morning, and was found, dead at the age of 24. Come to find out, he'd moved on to oxycotin (and various other pain pills), heroin, and God knows what else. This guy just got promoted to finance director and just bought a new house. Mind you, this started with a joint 18 months before he died. What I'm trying to say is this...there's a reason marijuana is illegal...it's dangerous. There's a reason it's called a gateway drug...it is. Don't say it's not....it is. Yes, Johnny was stupid for doing what he did, but this happens every single day to kids even younger than he is. I am not about to advocate legalizing something that leads to the demise of otherwise normal, functioning adults. Marijuana has great medicinal value...you know what? It's already legal to use it for medicinal purposes. Anything beyond that is unneccesary.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

Originally posted by Nickel
Case in point...my friend Johnny was a well-adjusted, intelligent individual who had a wonderful life. He was one of the top sellers at the top dealership in Va Beach, making tons of money, drove a kick-ass car (Lincoln LS Sport), basically had nothing to complain about. He started smoking weed. Pretty soon that wasn't good enough. He started doing coke, pretty soon that wasn't good enough. Unfortunately no one knew about this (he hid it extremely well) until he died of an overdose on Christmas morning, and was found, dead at the age of 24. Come to find out, he'd moved on to oxycotin (and various other pain pills), heroin, and God knows what else. This guy just got promoted to finance director and just bought a new house. Mind you, this started with a joint 18 months before he died. What I'm trying to say is this...there's a reason marijuana is illegal...it's dangerous. There's a reason it's called a gateway drug...it is. Don't say it's not....it is. Yes, Johnny was stupid for doing what he did, but this happens every single day to kids even younger than he is. I am not about to advocate legalizing something that leads to the demise of otherwise normal, functioning adults. Marijuana has great medicinal value...you know what? It's already legal to use it for medicinal purposes. Anything beyond that is unneccesary.

What is the "benefit" of alcohol then?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

Originally posted by SmallTown
What is the "benefit" of alcohol then?
beer-retro-spoofs-helping-ugly-people-have-sex-4003646.jpg

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

some benefit :rolleyes:
Some of us might not be here today if their parents hadn't gotten a little too tipsy. :shrug: Seriously, though, I'm not real big on alcohol either, I'll drink a few here and there, but nothing that could be described as habitual. I think the last alcoholic beverage I had was about a month ago, and that was half a Smirniff Ice. I've never heard of anyone drinking a beer and saying "You know what Carl, this just ain't doin' it for me no more, I think I'll go snort me some coke."

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

Some of us might not be here today if their parents hadn't gotten a little too tipsy. :shrug: Seriously, though, I'm not real big on alcohol either, I'll drink a few here and there, but nothing that could be described as habitual. I think the last alcoholic beverage I had was about a month ago, and that was half a Smirniff Ice. I've never heard of anyone drinking a beer and saying "You know what Carl, this just ain't doin' it for me no more, I think I'll go snort me some coke."

No, they just get super human powers and think their car actually will go right through a tree without a scratch :rolleyes:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

No, they just get super human powers and think their car actually will go right through a tree without a scratch :rolleyes:
Agreed. I think drunk drivers are among the lowest life forms. If you're trying to get an argument out of me, it ain't happenin'. :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

Agreed. I think drunk drivers are among the lowest life forms. If you're trying to get an argument out of me, it ain't happenin'. :biggrin:

I am not about to advocate legalizing something that leads to the demise of otherwise normal, functioning adults.

I was just referencing this comment.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

I was just referencing this comment.
So you think that I should be campaigning for the abolishment of alcohol? :confused: I will admit, without argument, that cigarettes and alcohol are dangerous. I've never smoked a cigarette, and rarely drink alcohol...when I do so it's in moderation and I don't drive. Ask the forumites who know me...it's true. But I think adding marijuana to the pot (no pun intended) is a bad idea, because we already have enough legal "drugs" who serve no purpose in society...marijuana may ease the pain of cancer patients and people with glaucoma, but it sure as hell isn't gonna make them normal again.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

So you think that I should be campaigning for the abolishment of alcohol? :confused: I will admit, without argument, that cigarettes and alcohol are dangerous. I've never smoked a cigarette, and rarely drink alcohol...when I do so it's in moderation and I don't drive. Ask the forumites who know me...it's true. But I think adding marijuana to the pot (no pun intended) is a bad idea, because we already have enough legal "drugs" who serve no purpose in society...marijuana may ease the pain of cancer patients and people with glaucoma, but it sure as hell isn't gonna make them normal again.

:yeahthat:

If your a responsible drinker you need not worry about wrapping yourself around a tree.

Spoiled

Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

http://www.alternet.org/story/17680

willie

Originally posted by Spoiled
drinking leads to drug use
That's horsecrap. You could use the same argument for regular nicotine if you want to make that big of a stretch. Marijuana is this first step toward hard drugs. There are way too many kids today that bend to peer pressure and believe your line of reasoning and they end up with a lifetime of trouble. Why are so many kids unable to face life head on and need these crutches?

Spoiled

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

Originally posted by willie
That's horsecrap. You could use the same argument for regular nicotine if you want to make that big of a stretch. Marijuana is this first step toward hard drugs. There are way too many kids today that bend to peer pressure and believe your line of reasoning and they end up with a lifetime of trouble. Why are so many kids unable to face life head on and need these crutches?
Beats me, Im just saying what the white house said

BuddyLee

Football addict

drinking leads to drug use

:bs: I drink and I have never used drugs. The same goes for the other millions out there that drink.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Agree with Spoiled

Beats me, Im just saying what the white house said

Do you believe everything the white house tells you? I seem to remember that you despise Bush and his administration. I also seem to remember watergate. I could go on and on.:rolleyes: