Marijuana should be legal...

Otter

Nothing to see here
Re: And what about that newer band...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
...that sings something like "I had to go to court today...but I got high..."???

Can't remember their name...

Afroman...one hit wonder

rraley

I fear that if we legalize marijuana, people my age will be drawn more to cocaine or some other much more dangerous drug.

Spoiled

Originally posted by rraley
I fear that if we legalize marijuana, people my age will be drawn more to cocaine or some other much more dangerous drug.
You goto leonardtown, they already are doing coke and crack... A kid got kicked outa school for sniffing an 8ball in the middle of class... They are also pill poppers... If you get your wisdom teeth removed people will offer you more than 5$ / pill

for the record ive never drank alcohol, done any illegal drugs, or tobacco

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
They argued that alcohol probably causes much more harm to society than pot.
Guess why? Because it's legal so more people do it.

Anyway, we can sit here and plan out sensible legalization scenarios all we want. Our lawmakers will have different ideas.

We say we don't want needle parks with druggies hanging out in public - lawmakers will say that's a violation of civil rights.

If I take a cooler of beer to the beach, someone else will want to sit and shoot up on the beach.

We say we want to tax drugs and pay off some debt - lawmakers will just find new stuff to spend it on.

Oh well.

rraley

Originally posted by Spoiled
You goto leonardtown, they already are doing coke and crack... A kid got kicked outa school for sniffing an 8ball in the middle of class... They are also pill poppers... If you get your wisdom teeth removed people will offer you more than 5$ / pill

Do you think that I don't know that? These are the cases of a small minority of high schoolers. Those that have tried drugs have mostly tried marijuana. It is the large majority of recreational drug users and drug "triers" that drug policy should focus on and if marijuana is legalized, the majority that want to do something illegal will start out with crack, which is much more harmful.

Spoiled

Originally posted by rraley
Do you think that I don't know that? These are the cases of a small minority of high schoolers. Those that have tried drugs have mostly tried marijuana. It is the large majority of recreational drug users and drug "triers" that drug policy should focus on and if marijuana is legalized, the majority that want to do something illegal will start out with crack, which is much more harmful.
Do you to have some kid's life ruined because he was cought smoking something less harmful than drinking alcohol?

dustin

UAIOE
Do you to have some kid's life ruined because he was cought smoking something less harmful than drinking alcohol?

I would ruin my own kids life if I caught him/her drinking or smoking before he/she is 18.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
smoking something less harmful than drinking alcohol
Puh-leeze. Saying MJ is less harmful than drinking alcohol is like saying is cyanide less harmful than arsenic. BOTH are poisons and will kill you eventually, just as MJ and alcohol are drugs that impair your ability and will harm you.

Go ahead and pull out the stats for your POV. I'll pull out stats saying the opposite. :rolleyes:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I might have revised my position on drug legalization. If people want to fry their brains on drugs, cool. Maybe they'll OD and die, then there will be that many less dumbshits in the world. :yay:

Two caveats: I don't want to be inconvenienced by druggies and I don't want to have to pay for them.

:yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309

Although there is no evidence that marijuana smoking increases the risk of cancer, studies have shown that marijuana smokers have a nearly five-fold increased risk of having a heart attack during the first hour after smoking.

That can't be healthy.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I don't advocate using drugs or alcohol, but I don't think it's the governments job to legislate the morality of doing so. Tobacco is a known cancer causer and all the gov. does is tax it and tell you it's bad. If they're concerned about our health, why isn't it illegal?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although there is no evidence that marijuana smoking increases the risk of cancer, studies have shown that marijuana smokers have a nearly five-fold increased risk of having a heart attack during the first hour after smoking.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess you need to keep smoking :confused:

D

dems4me

Maybe its because they were eating freedom fries instead of french fries -- different admin there.?..:shrug: It sounds like isolated events to me, or this drug haven of a school would have made the news :shrug: It's in all schools, but I don't think everyone is sitting around the class rooms getting high .. maybe because you don't -- you as a young one seems to think but "EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT" mentality... they are not.

My take on the subject is I'm very much against legalizing pot ... I've seen too many people destroy their lives at such a young age and remain in a nonmotivated state for years and years...

Whose to say we stop at pot? I'm afraid that in a few years some drug induced person will think of a reason to make crack and roofies medicinally legal as well and keep citing back to the precedent setting statute that made pot legal -- where do you draw the line if its medicinally helpful and calming:shrug: jmo

BTW, I have some whizzy teeth pills left over :tap: j/k :lol:

D

dems4me

Is there a poll on this already? should we post one? I would be interested to see what percentage is for or against legalization and if they are for it -- is it due to medicinal necessity only, etc... :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by aps45819
I don't advocate using drugs or alcohol, but I don't think it's the governments job to legislate the morality of doing so.
That's annoying. The government isn't trying to legislate morality - they're trying to legislate a public health and safety issue, which is well within their realm.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by vraiblonde
That's annoying. The government isn't trying to legislate morality - they're trying to legislate a public health and safety issue, which is well within their realm.

:clap: :clap:

Cletus_Vandam

Agree with Spoiled

I have to agree with Spoiled on this matter. I do agree that smoking a joint is harmful to one's health. So is smoking a cigar, doing a pinch of snuff, smoking a cig, drinking a beer or doing a shot...

But then again, going to McD's and eating three Big Macs three times a day will eventually kill you. Anything done without moderation or self control is hazardous.

Legalizing MJ makes sense. If you can control the distribution, the product etc. (as is done with tobacco and liquor) it will be taxed, create revenue and become inherently "safer: than it is now.

I don't think it is a reasonable argument that legalizing MJ would allow people to "shot-up on the beach" as vrai mentions. Last time I saw them on TV, a legal MJ joint looked just like an unfiltered camel.

I also don't think that smoking a joint turns you into some type of drug fiend or monster who will do anything for their next high. It's no different than beer or tobacco. If you drink a couple or beers a week, does that make you a drunk or an alcoholic? I think not.

Will legalizing it have its repercussions? Sure, what decision doesn’t have some circumstance, it’s unavoidable. But I do believe that the facts surrounding the troubles that evolve around the use of alcohol and tobacco are very much the same as those of MJ. Furthermore, what positives will come from legalizing it? I think those have pretty much been talked about in my message and the other’s.

I do also have to disagree with the person who said that us talking about legalizing it on the boards isn’t going to matter, as it is the politicians who make the rules… (I’m paraphrasing). If the public doesn’t voice their opinion, than we are left to be lead by the politicians w/o a voice. Sounds like Berlin, or some other third world country…