Motorcycle Accident

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just a quick note...bars can be sued/held accountable in Maryland. Bartenders are not supposed (SUPPOSED) to serve anyone who appears intoxicated. It can go back to the bar/bartender. Bartenders are supposed to be trained to identify and in tactics to "politely" refuse or offer a non-alcoholic drink. Some did not drink last night, signed as DD. But not nearly enough (close to 200 DD signed up...out of, what, 6000-7000??)
But more than anything the person is responsible for their actions. And law enforcement are there to enforce the laws, not check all persons. We don't have that many law enforcement (OH>>>MY...I JUST HEARD SCANNER CALVERT>>>DID THEY JUST NOW SAY DOA???)
Again...not enough officers to cover one on one with people choosing to be foolish.
Drink...drink wisely..., drink...don't drive...call a cab, a friend, sleep, what ever. Take turns (flip a coin) being the DD. SO FRIGGING SIMPLE.
Maryland does not have a Dram Shop law on the books. A person can bring civil action against anyone for anything, doesn't mean that they will prevail.

GMansGirl

DD...means "not drinking"- not "just drinking a few". Thanks for asking. I hope people realize a mai tai is close to 4 or 5 drinks due to the number of servings of alcohol. Officer " how many drinks did you have", driver "just one."

Pardon me it means..Designated Driver, hopefully not a drunken one! BTW, has anyone ruled out mechanical failure?:jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo::jameo:

camily

Peace
Personally Im getting tired of hearing about the loss of life due to accidents caused by drunk driving.
I think that bars should be sued when it can be proven that the last drinking stop for somebody before an accident was their bar. I dont think the drunk should be allowed to sue, but I do think that anyone involved innocently should be allowed to take legal action against the bar.

Basically when the bartender continues to serve drinks to an already drunk individual, they are saying that they value the dollar more than the life that is going to be lost when the idiot drives and kills someone.

A two drink limit, or a breath test before serving each drink would not be a bad idea either.

before you all get pissed at the thought of bars being regulated more to stop people from getting tore up and driving, just think about how you will feel when you get that call some night from the state police informing you that your spouse and children were involved in an accident with a drunk and were killed.

Some drunk takes out my family and Im just ignorant and unstable enough to return the favor for him/her.

What if they say they have a DD?

Tomcat

Anytime
Not to start a war here, but isn't there is a law on the books that the owner of the bar is responsible for the actions of the patrons, and it's the bar owner's responsibility to ensure that the patrons don't leave drunk?

Bartenders can get sued. I know this from being a bartender. Stupid law.

Just a quick note...bars can be sued/held accountable in Maryland. Bartenders are not supposed (SUPPOSED) to serve anyone who appears intoxicated. It can go back to the bar/bartender. Bartenders are supposed to be trained to identify and in tactics to "politely" refuse or offer a non-alcoholic drink.

Not in Maryland.

Maryland does not have a Dram Shop law on the books. A person can bring civil action against anyone for anything, doesn't mean that they will prevail.

Danzig & Ken are correct, Maryland does not have a Dram Shop Law

law.com Law Dictionary
dram shop rule
n. a statute (Dram Shop Act) or case law in 38 states which makes a business which sells alcoholic drinks or a host who serves liquor to a drinker who is obviously intoxicated or close to it, strictly liable to anyone injured by the drunken patron or guest. To the contrary, California recently passed legislation specifically banning such strict liability. It is often hard to prove that the liquor bought or served was the specific cause of an accident (such as an automobile crash while driving home), since there is always an intervening cause, namely, the drunk.

However, there is some truth to what Jbeckman says. Bartenders and servers are not to serve visably intoxicated persons. You could have had a drink or two at the Tiki bar, walked down the street and bought another drink somewhere else as long as you weren't visably intoxicated, the second bartender/server has done his (her) job properly.

camily

Peace
Danzig & Ken are correct, Maryland does not have a Dram Shop Law

law.com Law Dictionary
dram shop rule
n. a statute (Dram Shop Act) or case law in 38 states which makes a business which sells alcoholic drinks or a host who serves liquor to a drinker who is obviously intoxicated or close to it, strictly liable to anyone injured by the drunken patron or guest. To the contrary, California recently passed legislation specifically banning such strict liability. It is often hard to prove that the liquor bought or served was the specific cause of an accident (such as an automobile crash while driving home), since there is always an intervening cause, namely, the drunk.

However, there is some truth to what Jbeckman says. Bartenders and servers are not to serve visably intoxicated persons. You could have had a drink or two at the Tiki bar, walked down the street and bought another drink somewhere else as long as you weren't visably intoxicated, the second bartender/server has done his (her) job properly.

Yes, that is what I meant. They can be sued, but as you said, people can be sued for anything.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Any word on the identity?

I just found out when I got to work today that the guy is someone I worked with, for several years, on Andrews AFB. He was active duty. I am not going to give any details about this except to say there are a lot of extenuating circumstances, other than just drinking at the Tiki that led to this tragic death. He had a wife and two kids. Pray for them. I don't know anything about the girl, but she was riding on the motocycle and heard she was in the Army.

camily

Peace
I just found out when I got to work today that the guy is someone I worked with, for several years, on Andrews AFB. He was active duty. I am not going to give any details about this except to say there are a lot of extenuating circumstances, other than just drinking at the Tiki that led to this tragic death. He had a wife and two kids. Pray for them. I don't know anything about the girl, but she was riding on the motocycle and heard she was in the Army.

The wife is probably saying the same thing.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wouldn't that be interesting considering that the wife and he haven't been able to come to an agreement on their divorce.
I could see that suspicion if it was a nice afternoon on an open road, but not at 1 AM after being at the Tiki. Pretty slim chance that it wasn't what most of us suspect happened.

smithchick231

wow. did a casesearch on the man identified. there have definately been some domestic issues ongoing. particularly recently. and its interesting that he couldnt seem to stay away from the 'wife' since he kept violating the protective orders....and he was with his girlfriend. good for him for finally moving on. its really tragic though that this had to all come to an end like this, after all this couple had been through seperating.

smithchick231

Im sorry, i stand corrected, after reading the plaintiff/defendant filings...its seems more weighted towards she couldnt stay away. he filed most of the assault and abuse charges AGAINST her.