Motorcycle Accident

tommygun722

Sad days

I actually knew the driver of the bike, worked with him for last few years, just told him last week that he was going to kill himself on that thing. The guy is only 5'6, he had to get off the bike to back it up, his toes barely reached when he sat on it. He bought the lowering kit but I don't believe that he lowered it in this last week, he might have I'm not sure of that.

A few months ago, he went bike shopping, never owned a rice rocket, wanted a 650 scooter and or a cruiser of some sort (his dream bike was a Honda Gold Wing). He went shopping for a cruiser and ended up leaving the bike shop with a Hayabusa. As soon as he told us he bought a Hayabusa we (our shop) knew he was going to more then likely die or be in a horrible accident. The bike is too much for anyone that isn't a gifted well trained speed demon. If you want to know more about him, read on. He asked his wife for a divorce, his wife, daughter and son moved back to Illinois. He began dating, he liked one girl in particular, more then likely that is the rider that was thrown off the bike and pronounced dead on site, if it is her, she had two children. there are lots of people to mourn and say a prayer for.

With all of that said and some comments about bars being responsible for any of us drinking too much. How about a decent sales person or manager of a bike shop telling a 5'6 guy who has never owned a crotch rocket that the BUSA is too much of a bike? Would they sell this bike to a midget? Gene kept the bike up on his tippy toes, with how much horsepower under his seat?

Now here is the real kicker, he went shopping for a cruiser ... who pressed him towards the fastest street bike? I don't suggest making laws, I suggest we as a society stop putting a commission ahead of someones life. Trust me when I say this, my 18 year old daughter could go in and buy a Busa ... She makes enough money and has great credit. She is 5'5 135 pounds ... that isn't much different then 5'6 and we can't use the argument that a man is stronger, because the guy I'm talking about is a gymnastics teacher on the side, extremely strong and while trying to back the bike out of his garage it tipped went to the ground and he played hell getting it back up. If they want to sell bikes to people 5'6 then lower the bike before it leaves the shop. Don't offer lowering kits, lower the damn bike for the drivers safety, and sleep well knowing you did the right thing. Unwritten rules, you can't own a busa until you've gone through the 750's, R1's etc ... and have 5 years of crotch rocket experience. No federal laws, unwritten laws that the bike sellers and bikers agree upon with full understanding that it is for the common good. Should someone sue the bike dealer? No, but it might not be a bad idea for the Bike dealers to grow up. I wonder how many times the dealers step back and snicker and amongst themselves say "This MF is going to kill himself" as they smile and wave goodbye to their latest commission.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Now here is the real kicker, he went shopping for a cruiser ... who pressed him towards the fastest street bike? I don't suggest making laws, I suggest we as a society stop putting a commission ahead of someones life.

He was 38 years old, right? Sorry, but if a grown man walks in with the $$$, it isn't the salesman's fault for selling the bike.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I actually knew the driver of the bike, worked with him for last few years, just told him last week that he was going to kill himself on that thing. The guy is only 5'6, he had to get off the bike to back it up, his toes barely reached when he sat on it. He bought the lowering kit but I don't believe that he lowered it in this last week, he might have I'm not sure of that.

A few months ago, he went bike shopping, never owned a rice rocket, wanted a 650 scooter and or a cruiser of some sort (his dream bike was a Honda Gold Wing). He went shopping for a cruiser and ended up leaving the bike shop with a Hayabusa. As soon as he told us he bought a Hayabusa we (our shop) knew he was going to more then likely die or be in a horrible accident. The bike is too much for anyone that isn't a gifted well trained speed demon. If you want to know more about him, read on. He asked his wife for a divorce, his wife, daughter and son moved back to Illinois. He began dating, he liked one girl in particular, more then likely that is the rider that was thrown off the bike and pronounced dead on site, if it is her, she had two children. there are lots of people to mourn and say a prayer for.

With all of that said and some comments about bars being responsible for any of us drinking too much. How about a decent sales person or manager of a bike shop telling a 5'6 guy who has never owned a crotch rocket that the BUSA is too much of a bike? Would they sell this bike to a midget? Gene kept the bike up on his tippy toes, with how much horsepower under his seat?

Now here is the real kicker, he went shopping for a cruiser ... who pressed him towards the fastest street bike? I don't suggest making laws, I suggest we as a society stop putting a commission ahead of someones life. Trust me when I say this, my 18 year old daughter could go in and buy a Busa ... She makes enough money and has great credit. She is 5'5 135 pounds ... that isn't much different then 5'6 and we can't use the argument that a man is stronger, because the guy I'm talking about is a gymnastics teacher on the side, extremely strong and while trying to back the bike out of his garage it tipped went to the ground and he played hell getting it back up. If they want to sell bikes to people 5'6 then lower the bike before it leaves the shop. Don't offer lowering kits, lower the damn bike for the drivers safety, and sleep well knowing you did the right thing. Unwritten rules, you can't own a busa until you've gone through the 750's, R1's etc ... and have 5 years of crotch rocket experience. No federal laws, unwritten laws that the bike sellers and bikers agree upon with full understanding that it is for the common good. Should someone sue the bike dealer? No, but it might not be a bad idea for the Bike dealers to grow up. I wonder how many times the dealers step back and snicker and amongst themselves say "This MF is going to kill himself" as they smile and wave goodbye to their latest commission.

Hey Tom... you know who this is. Thanks for the email at work. I had no idea until I got the word from you. Thanks. I tried to write you back but the stinking network rejected it. Please let me know if there will be any donations collected up for his family. I'm sure they could use it. And when the memorial service will be. BTW... I didn't know it was Illinois his family moved to. I thought it was Ohio.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

Great post! I couldn't agree more.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
He was 38 years old, right? Sorry, but if a grown man walks in with the $$$, it isn't the salesman's fault for selling the bike.

I can honestly say that when I went to the local Harley dealership, told them my experience and what I wanted, they didn't try to sell me something I couldn't handle. They really worked with me to find what would work for me, being 5'2 on a good day. I didn't buy one yet, but I KNEW they weren't going to sell me something I wasn't big enough for or had too much power. Yet, if you go to a certain dealer in Waldorf, he's gonna talk you into whatever he thinks he can make the most $ off of.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I can honestly say that when I went to the local Harley dealership, told them my experience and what I wanted, they didn't try to sell me something I couldn't handle. They really worked with me to find what would work for me, being 5'2 on a good day. I didn't buy one yet, but I KNEW they weren't going to sell me something I wasn't big enough for or had too much power. Yet, if you go to a certain dealer in Waldorf, he's gonna talk you into whatever he thinks he can make the most $ off of.

Would you have bought more than what you could handle? Of course not.

We aren't talking about an 18 YO being taken advantage of. He was an adult.

We don't even know if he got a pressure sale. It's possible, even likely, that he walked into the dealer, saw the 'busa, and wanted it bad.

There's a reason they call it a mid-life crisis. His apparent actions are extremely typical. Divorce, young girlfriend, buying an expensive fast toy. His coworkers even knew he was reckless.

He didn't deserve to die for his mistake, but that does not change the fact that it was his mistake.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

We don't even know if he got a pressure sale. It's possible, even likely, that he walked into the dealer, saw the 'busa, and wanted it bad.

There's a reason they call it a mid-life crisis. His apparent actions are extremely typical. Divorce, young girlfriend, buying an expensive fast toy. His coworkers even knew he was reckless.

He didn't deserve to die for his mistake, but that does not change the fact that it was his mistake.

I'm sorry. I'll go back to listening to the scanner now.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

I wouldn't buy a bike bigger than I could handle. We looked at a purty, purty bike for me. $12 or $15,000, can't remember. I sat on it, started it up, realized the highway pegs were a "tad" too far for me to reach, even though the owner said he could put something behind them to make them "reach-able" for me, Desertrat said "this bike has too much power for you" and we walked away from it. Man, I WANTED that bike......but I didn't buy it for the reasons listed above. I still want that bike. :lmao:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
I know we have dicussed this in past threads and always thought you should be stepped up by some regulation as to how big a bike you should start off on. When I took my first MSF course in the Corps they would make you take the course over if you stepped up more than 100 or 150 cc's. Always thought that was a good idea. I don't want to get into what your rights are as a rider because I know kids that can ride big bikes and are young and then there are those that can't. Be nice to find a way to measure that before you get out there that works for everyone.

Scary thing is Maryland state lets you get a license with a Honda Rebel, 250cc and when you are done are now license to go by a bike such as a Busa. Dealers will try to make what they can from anyone that walks through the door. Glad someone mentioned that the HD dealer looked out for them as to what they thought they could handle. Kudo's to them.

tommygun722

So dealers have to sell a bike to the likes of you? I don't agree with that.

You Mr. Never done wrong, (OH but you have) , should be ducked tape to a recliner and fed beer through an IV while watching cartoon network for the rest of your life. Have you ever drank and then drove home? Be honest super human, ever drove while tired and accidentally crossed the line? Ever get in a fender bender in the grocery store parking lot? Have you ever did anything wrong? Of course not, you are an adult, you do everything right.

I know who you are Mr. Perfect. You're a monkey that calls himself responsible. Lets hear what others have to say about you.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
So dealers have to sell a bike to the likes of you? I don't agree with that.

You Mr. Never done wrong, (OH but you have) , should be ducked tape to a recliner and fed beer through an IV while watching cartoon network for the rest of your life. Have you ever drank and then drove home? Be honest super human, ever drove while tired and accidentally crossed the line? Ever get in a fender bender in the grocery store parking lot? Have you ever did anything wrong? Of course not, you are an adult, you do everything right.

I know who you are Mr. Perfect. You're a monkey that calls himself responsible. Lets hear what others have to say about you.

You need to use "reply with quote" or we don't know who you are talking to.

tommygun722

Oh my goodness, tell me what I should have done ...PLEASE tell our shop what we should have done. Teach us, so it never happens again.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Sorry about that. I hopefully come up to speed here, I was addressing MMdad.

It's the little thingy in the corner that is next to "quick reply." It says "reply with quote." When you are replying to somebody, you use that. Easy-peasy. My work here is done. I must go to sleep. Night all.