Motorcycle Accident

MMDad

Lem Putt
Oh my goodness, tell me what I should have done ...PLEASE tell our shop what we should have done. Teach us, so it never happens again.

So you acknowledge that you people who knew him well were powerless to stop an adult from riding a bike that was too much for him.

Yet a salesman is supposed to look at the same guy, who he has never met, and tell him "sorry, but I can't take your money."

I realize you are trying to put the blame onto somebody, but unless you have some evidence of gross negligence, it is not the dealers fault.

bohman

How can the owners possibly keep track of all the drunks leaving the Tiki bar?
Thats why the police were there. They obviously were not doing they're jobs...

I have a right to think what ever I want.

Very true. And when you say that the police are supposed to monitor every last drunken tard at Tiki opening, lest they fall down & hurt themselves, we all have the right to point at you and say, "DEE DEE DEE!" :lmao:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
So you acknowledge that you people who knew him well were powerless to stop an adult from riding a bike that was too much for him.

Yet a salesman is supposed to look at the same guy, who he has never met, and tell him "sorry, but I can't take your money."

I realize you are trying to put the blame onto somebody, but unless you have some evidence of gross negligence, it is not the dealers fault.

Guess its mostly that I wish dealers could take some of these things into consideration when selling a bike like a BUSA or any other performance bike to people. Heck you can kill yourself on a Vespa the same as a BUSA. Stupid is as stupid does but damn when you haven't ridden much at all and then tempt the throttle of a BUSA you are asking for nothing but pain or death.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

:yeahthat: that salesman won't be working long.

I'd love to see a graduated liscense system for ALL drivers. Some sort of time/horse power/engine size matrix that would prevent teens from driving 300 hp Mustangs as well as beginners on superbikes.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Lets start from the beginning, is it okay to sell a midget a BUSA? YES OR NO!

Yes. In this country, anybody with the cash can buy anything.

To operate a bike you need to reach the controls (pedels) not the ground.
I'm on tip toes when my bike is stopped and it's been lowered.

I don't think your friend died because he had trouble backing the bike in his riveway.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Lets start from the beginning, is it okay to sell a midget a BUSA? YES OR NO!

Yes. It is illegal not to, if they have the money to buy one and want it.

I see Flomaster's solution as being far more appropriate. If someone wants to drive a 'busa, they should have to get their license on it.

When I was a kid, I had a little Honda 70. Our neighbor bought a GoldWing. He borrowed my bike for the test because he couldn't pass on the GoldWing. He never had to prove to anyone that he could handle the bike, but he was free to ride.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Yes. It is illegal not to, if they have the money to buy one and want it.

I see Flomaster's solution as being far more appropriate. If someone wants to drive a 'busa, they should have to get their license on it.

When I was a kid, I had a little Honda 70. Our neighbor bought a GoldWing. He borrowed my bike for the test because he couldn't pass on the GoldWing. He never had to prove to anyone that he could handle the bike, but he was free to ride.

I learned on a 1973 Kawasaki H3 which thinking back was not my brightest moment but my brother taught me to fear the throttle and I did and for good reason. That was a sick bike!

I took my test on a KZ1000 MkII. Its what I was comfy with then but not anything I would advise people to do these days. I was 19. Have no wrecks under my belt and am 40 these days.

tommygun722

I agree, and I'm not saying the driver (my co-worker) wasn't at fault, I know he was, I know him, he was pushing it to the limits ... I don't like the idea that there isn't any check points for people buying bikes that go faster then Nascar cars, I tried to go over board with midgets being allowed to by BUSA's ... didn't make my point, maybe you all can. Love freedom, bikes are awesome, but driving something that breaks 200 should require some sort of proof of talent. Not just for the rider, but for all of us.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I actually knew the driver of the bike, worked with him for last few years, just told him last week that he was going to kill himself on that thing. The guy is only 5'6, he had to get off the bike to back it up, his toes barely reached when he sat on it. He bought the lowering kit but I don't believe that he lowered it in this last week, he might have I'm not sure of that.

A few months ago, he went bike shopping, never owned a rice rocket, wanted a 650 scooter and or a cruiser of some sort (his dream bike was a Honda Gold Wing). He went shopping for a cruiser and ended up leaving the bike shop with a Hayabusa. As soon as he told us he bought a Hayabusa we (our shop) knew he was going to more then likely die or be in a horrible accident. The bike is too much for anyone that isn't a gifted well trained speed demon. If you want to know more about him, read on. He asked his wife for a divorce, his wife, daughter and son moved back to Illinois. He began dating, he liked one girl in particular, more then likely that is the rider that was thrown off the bike and pronounced dead on site, if it is her, she had two children. there are lots of people to mourn and say a prayer for.

With all of that said and some comments about bars being responsible for any of us drinking too much. How about a decent sales person or manager of a bike shop telling a 5'6 guy who has never owned a crotch rocket that the BUSA is too much of a bike? Would they sell this bike to a midget? Gene kept the bike up on his tippy toes, with how much horsepower under his seat?

Now here is the real kicker, he went shopping for a cruiser ... who pressed him towards the fastest street bike? I don't suggest making laws, I suggest we as a society stop putting a commission ahead of someones life. Trust me when I say this, my 18 year old daughter could go in and buy a Busa ... She makes enough money and has great credit. She is 5'5 135 pounds ... that isn't much different then 5'6 and we can't use the argument that a man is stronger, because the guy I'm talking about is a gymnastics teacher on the side, extremely strong and while trying to back the bike out of his garage it tipped went to the ground and he played hell getting it back up. If they want to sell bikes to people 5'6 then lower the bike before it leaves the shop. Don't offer lowering kits, lower the damn bike for the drivers safety, and sleep well knowing you did the right thing. Unwritten rules, you can't own a busa until you've gone through the 750's, R1's etc ... and have 5 years of crotch rocket experience. No federal laws, unwritten laws that the bike sellers and bikers agree upon with full understanding that it is for the common good. Should someone sue the bike dealer? No, but it might not be a bad idea for the Bike dealers to grow up. I wonder how many times the dealers step back and snicker and amongst themselves say "This MF is going to kill himself" as they smile and wave goodbye to their latest commission.

damn I hate to jump in on this,
I am 6' 190lbs and I have set my Goldwing over a time or two. Thats a 950lb bike. I always play hell picking it up. I can smoke the back tire or get the front wheel well off the ground. All of this cause I still have a little teenager hiding inside my 38 yearold self. New busa's are limited at around 180mph unless you reprogram the chip. I have never taken the GW past 120 so not sure how far it will go. will I be any less dead if am drop it at 120 or 180?

I am sorry to hear about your friend but at some point we all need to take responsibility for our own actions

OLDFRIEND2

I just want to say that I have known the driver of this bike for at least 20 yrs. Yes he was a speed demon and an adrenaline junkie, a kid at heart!!! We know that there were issues in his life but that is not an issue right now. He made a few bad decisions, purchasing a bike that was to much for him and going to those speeds. In my eyes they should not be allowed on the street. They go well over the legal speed limits and should not be allowed. The issue here is not the bike he was riding or if he had been drinking or what kind of personal issues that were going on in his life! Eugene was an awesome guy and the real issue here is his, mom, sisters, kids, and friends. Do not forget the passenger with the kids as well! The have an empty space in their hearts right now and have lost something so precious!!! As far as him being married, he was in process of a divorce. The ex and kids do not live in IL either. Gene, is at home now with his loved ones that have also passed. You will be missed so much!!! Gene touched so many in his lifetime, even the kids that he has coached for gymnastics in his lifetime!!! This is a terrible tragedy so lets not get carried away on the details that do not matter. Let him rest in peace!!

A

amotley

I just want to say that I have known the driver of this bike for at least 20 yrs. Yes he was a speed demon and an adrenaline junkie, a kid at heart!!! We know that there were issues in his life but that is not an issue right now. He made a few bad decisions, purchasing a bike that was to much for him and going to those speeds. In my eyes they should not be allowed on the street. They go well over the legal speed limits and should not be allowed. The issue here is not the bike he was riding or if he had been drinking or what kind of personal issues that were going on in his life! Eugene was an awesome guy and the real issue here is his, mom, sisters, kids, and friends. Do not forget the passenger with the kids as well! The have an empty space in their hearts right now and have lost something so precious!!! As far as him being married, he was in process of a divorce. The ex and kids do not live in IL either. Gene, is at home now with his loved ones that have also passed. You will be missed so much!!! Gene touched so many in his lifetime, even the kids that he has coached for gymnastics in his lifetime!!! This is a terrible tragedy so lets not get carried away on the details that do not matter. Let him rest in peace!!

amen rest in peace prayers to loved ones left behind

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I actually knew the driver of the bike, worked with him for last few years, just told him last week that he was going to kill himself on that thing. The guy is only 5'6, he had to get off the bike to back it up, his toes barely reached when he sat on it. He bought the lowering kit but I don't believe that he lowered it in this last week, he might have I'm not sure of that.

A few months ago, he went bike shopping, never owned a rice rocket, wanted a 650 scooter and or a cruiser of some sort (his dream bike was a Honda Gold Wing). He went shopping for a cruiser and ended up leaving the bike shop with a Hayabusa. As soon as he told us he bought a Hayabusa we (our shop) knew he was going to more then likely die or be in a horrible accident. The bike is too much for anyone that isn't a gifted well trained speed demon. If you want to know more about him, read on. He asked his wife for a divorce, his wife, daughter and son moved back to Illinois. He began dating, he liked one girl in particular, more then likely that is the rider that was thrown off the bike and pronounced dead on site, if it is her, she had two children. there are lots of people to mourn and say a prayer for.

With all of that said and some comments about bars being responsible for any of us drinking too much. How about a decent sales person or manager of a bike shop telling a 5'6 guy who has never owned a crotch rocket that the BUSA is too much of a bike? Would they sell this bike to a midget? Gene kept the bike up on his tippy toes, with how much horsepower under his seat?

Now here is the real kicker, he went shopping for a cruiser ... who pressed him towards the fastest street bike? I don't suggest making laws, I suggest we as a society stop putting a commission ahead of someones life. Trust me when I say this, my 18 year old daughter could go in and buy a Busa ... She makes enough money and has great credit. She is 5'5 135 pounds ... that isn't much different then 5'6 and we can't use the argument that a man is stronger, because the guy I'm talking about is a gymnastics teacher on the side, extremely strong and while trying to back the bike out of his garage it tipped went to the ground and he played hell getting it back up. If they want to sell bikes to people 5'6 then lower the bike before it leaves the shop. Don't offer lowering kits, lower the damn bike for the drivers safety, and sleep well knowing you did the right thing. Unwritten rules, you can't own a busa until you've gone through the 750's, R1's etc ... and have 5 years of crotch rocket experience. No federal laws, unwritten laws that the bike sellers and bikers agree upon with full understanding that it is for the common good. Should someone sue the bike dealer? No, but it might not be a bad idea for the Bike dealers to grow up. I wonder how many times the dealers step back and snicker and amongst themselves say "This MF is going to kill himself" as they smile and wave goodbye to their latest commission.

Excellent perspective for those of us who would never consider it.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K

Another well spoken opinion. Amen. RIP Gene.