New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

PeoplesElbow

I assume they are related to Jerry and Sons on GMR. It used to be one of my occasional lunch stops many years ago when I worked in the Park and I thought it was decent. You could watch them make the food as the kitchen is fully visible so it didn't come from the microwave. Not a gyro guy but I had much of the rest of their menu. I seem to remember they had a good po' boy.
It is. I always liked that about Jerry's on GMR, you could tell the place was clean.

FettZilla

Well the motel in Charlotte Hall is finally down.
340968156_534660322159306_9009255197795492316_n.jpg

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
New businesses coming to Southern Maryland will be limited in SMC based on the current proposed excise tax - $4.09 per square foot.

SamSpade

What ever happened to the ROFO's that were being built in the area? I think the one by Wawa on 235 was supposed to open this summer.
On their "Coming Soon" page - not mentioned. No new ones even close.

My guess is, it's like a LOT of stuff that happens in Southern Maryland - construction begins in haste - and then it just - ends.
Bear in mind, that plot was previously going to be something else. Some kind of sports complex. And damn near nothing has happened back behind the theater or behind the ALDI.

DogWhisperer

I had heard the ROFO was moving in to where the nursery was across from Wawa in Charlotte Hall. There was also one supposedly going outside the gate where Linda's was which I can see taking a little longer but the Charlotte Hall site is ready to be razed and rebuilt into a new business.

SamSpade

I had heard the ROFO was moving in to where the nursery was across from Wawa in Charlotte Hall. There was also one supposedly going outside the gate where Linda's was which I can see taking a little longer but the Charlotte Hall site is ready to be razed and rebuilt into a new business.
Ah - THE Wawa on 235 can refer to at least 4 locations, so wasn't sure where you meant. Scuttlebutt was that the area next to Bollywood Masala was being prepared for a ROFO, which in my mind, is simply an IDEAL location for it - accessible from every direction and on the path home for many working on base.

On the other hand - if you're heading north from the base, by the time you reach Sotterley, you've had access to at least FOUR gas stations - five if you count the Harris Teeter one and six if you count the one right ON Pegg Road across from the gate - and I suppose the place doesn't need another gas station (but a convenience store that is CONVENIENT might be good).

OccamsRazor

My guess is, it's like a LOT of stuff that happens in Southern Maryland - construction begins in haste - and then it just - ends.
How long has the empty lot been sitting behind Bruster's in Hollywood since being razed and leveled? Several months? A year??

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
How long has the empty lot been sitting behind Bruster's in Hollywood since being razed and leveled? Several months? A year??
We have lots in the Beach that have been empty for decades. Good, large lots in the Commercial area. One has been vacant since the hardware, as well as other businesses, in it burned down..................in 1945.

Right across the street has been empty since a stolen tractor truck ran through the restaurant on it..................25 years ago.

Right across from the beach has been empty for 20 years when the new owner closed the grocery store on it and demoed all the buildings.

Interestingly enough, the first and third examples are both owned by the same investor. I swear he's the only developer who I've ever met who buys a property, demos the usually occupied buildings, and then sits on the properties for decades.

SamSpade

There's been movement on that lot about a couple times a month since spring. Usually, leveling dirt and something with pipes and drainage.
I drive past it at least daily.

Not terribly fast, but truth is, a lot of time in St Mary's, buildings get razed as practice for the fire department - not as evidence of future construction. There's the old rat trap that used to be across from the Early Bird which has been gone for years. I still hear a rumor it's going to be an auto parts store.

There's been clearing of lots on my favorite road full of old decrepit houses - Old Three Notch, near the Hole in the Wall - and one duplex torn down seems to just be a parking lot for school buses.

DogWhisperer

There's been movement on that lot about a couple times a month since spring. Usually, leveling dirt and something with pipes and drainage.
I drive past it at least daily.

Not terribly fast, but truth is, a lot of time in St Mary's, buildings get razed as practice for the fire department - not as evidence of future construction. There's the old rat trap that used to be across from the Early Bird which has been gone for years. I still hear a rumor it's going to be an auto parts store.

There's been clearing of lots on my favorite road full of old decrepit houses - Old Three Notch, near the Hole in the Wall - and one duplex torn down seems to just be a parking lot for school buses.
My significant other called ROFO today and the Charlotte Hall and Linda's area ROFO's are still in the process. The one that was going near the theater an Aldi's is not going to happen according to her POC.