New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
When you guys say "dilapidated" do you mean houses that don't have shiny vinyl fencing, tasteful plantings, beige vinyl siding, at least one European car in the driveway and have a horseshoe pit in the back yard like here in the Beach or something else?

I've had to learn new definitions for a lot of things in the last decade or so.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When you guys say "dilapidated" do you mean houses that don't have shiny vinyl fencing, tasteful plantings, beige vinyl siding, at least one European car in the driveway and have a horseshoe pit in the back yard like here in the Beach or something else?

If you were familiar with this house, it is indeed dilapidated. It was empty when I moved here in 1990. There are large holes in the roof.

SamSpade

During one of the hurricanes some years back, a tree fell onto the roof and left a huge hole.
It's become much worse, since.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If you were familiar with this house, it is indeed dilapidated. It was empty when I moved here in 1990. There are large holes in the roof.
During one of the hurricanes some years back, a tree fell onto the roof and left a huge hole.
It's become much worse, since.
That's a Code Enforcement issue. I mean c'mon, the Health Department went after the Amish for recipes a few years ago so where is St. Mary's Code Enforcement in all this? Especially since the area sounds as though it's being redeveloped.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That's a Code Enforcement issue. I mean c'mon, the Health Department went after the Amish for recipes a few years ago so where is St. Mary's Code Enforcement in all this? Especially since the area sounds as though it's being redeveloped.
No idea why it's still standing. It's on a corner on 235NB near route 4. One of the busiest areas of the county.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No idea why it's still standing. It's on a corner on 235NB near route 4. One of the busiest areas of the county.
Probably because it was rezoned to commercial and they won't do anything until they get a deal to build something. Hard to believe that someone paid $1,650,000 for it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Probably because it was rezoned to commercial and they won't do anything until they get a deal to build something. Hard to believe that someone paid $1,650,000 for it.
If it a hazard and in violation of various building maintenance codes (like the holes in the roof) it doesn't matter how much the lot sold for. Unless site plans have been approved, permits pulled and a timeline established for demo Code Enforcement can go in there and start writing paper.

Now, there are ways around not having to do a demo/repair right away but the clock starts to at least tick.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If it a hazard and in violation of various building maintenance codes (like the holes in the roof) it doesn't matter how much the lot sold for. Unless site plans have been approved, permits pulled and a timeline established for demo Code Enforcement can go in there and start writing paper.

Now, there are ways around not having to do a demo/repair right away but the clock starts to at least tick.
Oh yeah. That ones in way worse shape.
I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in smoke yet.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Oh yeah. That ones in way worse shape.
There's another one not too far north of that one. After you pass the Mervell Dean/Airport intersection, it's up on the hill on the right. Broken window and the copper pipes have been stripped.

SamSpade

There's another one not too far north of that one. After you pass the Mervell Dean/Airport intersection, it's up on the hill on the right. Broken window and the copper pipes have been stripped.
Heck, there's ones back in the woods JUST past the intersection, NB on the right.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Looking at the latest I could find for "Property Maintenance Ordinance" it seems to carry a $1000 fine, after proper notice. Then the county can remedy the issue and place a lien against the property for that cost. Which might be of benefit to the owner by not having to deal with the permits and costs required to demolish it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Looking at the latest I could find for "Property Maintenance Ordinance" it seems to carry a $1000 fine, after proper notice. Then the county can remedy the issue and place a lien against the property for that cost. Which might be of benefit to the owner by not having to deal with the permits and costs required to demolish it.
Those fines can accumulate, though. At some point it transitions to a per day fine of "up to $XXX per day". That takes a Judge to do, or at least affirm it.
Sooner or later the owner would have to pay the demo costs. As you said, if the County does it the cost goes onto the property tax bill as a lien (maybe St. Mary's is different). We were able to put it on the property tax bill where it would get paid sometime during the cycle or go to tax sale).