New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I never went to Pennie's. Had a much higher-class place much closer to home to go fight and play chicken-bingo...Old Gum.
I never went there. 😂

The reason I was at Pennies was because we had friends that had a Civil War themed wedding at the Solomon's pavilion (in August) and the reception was there.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
So you missed experiencing the ambiance and decor of one of the most high-brow establishments that ever graced the fair lands of St. Mary's County. And the chicken bingo. A shame.
As for the Old Gum, after passing from owner to owner, it finally shut down.
When builder James Horstkamp started working on it after it had lain empty a decade or so, he found about 700 empty whiskey bottles under the floor. Five or six people would stop by every week to tell him stories, about pool cues flying in flights or the floor shaking under all those dancing feet.
He's not sure what will happen to the Old Gum. Maybe someone will want to open a bar there again, he said. Or maybe he'll turn it into an office building.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's been renovated and is someone's home now. I wonder if the chicken-bingo grid is still visible on the floor.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

That's a Code Enforcement issue. I mean c'mon, the Health Department went after the Amish for recipes a few years ago so where is St. Mary's Code Enforcement in all this? Especially since the area sounds as though it's being redeveloped.

Enforcement is only for wearing masks and maintaining a 6 foot distance. Just ask @TPD.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think it's really a great place for a restaurant. We love Clarke's Landing - but it's all the way down that same road. Wife likes Local - but that place seems to be death for restaurants (and I think it's just - location). This place is visible, at an intersection, right off 235 and has adequate parking.
The new building is already framed. I bet it'll be done before the other one across the road.

SamSpade

Maybe not a restaurant, but a shop? Something like Crabknockers?
I told my kids I was pretty sure it’s zoned commercial and I think a HOME would be a dumb idea, especially with the parking area.

My gut tells me it will be something I’ll never use, like a real estate office. Just looking at the interior walls, it more resembles an office.

SamSpade

The new building is already framed. I bet it'll be done before the other one across the road.
Phht. Hell will freeze over first. That’s been at least 2-3 years, and the article detailing the layout I think is dated 2019. Still, they have at least put in the curbs.

The old gravel place across from ALDI is showing signs of life again. After crews were in there pounding the ground in preparation for paving - they dug it up again.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Phht. Hell will freeze over first. That’s been at least 2-3 years, and the article detailing the layout I think is dated 2019. Still, they have at least put in the curbs.

The old gravel place across from ALDI is showing signs of life again. After crews were in there pounding the ground in preparation for paving - they dug it up again.
I noticed that.

LtownTaxpayer

I heard they are getting ready to demolish the Dash Inn in Leonardtown and build a new one. Supposed to be closed for 6 months.
It has been demolished. There is a big fence all the way around the property with barrier that is supposed to block your view, but it blows up. The steel framing is even gone.