New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Steve D.M.V.

Here is what it's going to look like. One of those buildings better be a restaurant. And I don't mean fast food either.
Proposed Weiss and lot.jpg

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I read in today's St. Mary's County Times that McKay's/Shopper's could be an Agricultural Center in 2026.
Yeah. They've been dicking around to get that facility built for several years for the local farmers. It will service them from southern Prince George's (and maybe Anne Arundel) and all three SoMD Counties. This is a win-win if it comes to fruition. No more hauling your steers and pigs to Hagerstown for slaughter and processing.

Does Harris-Teeter in Dunkirk being sold and becoming a Piggly Wiggly count as a "new business"?

Piggly Wiggly. And some of y'all say Maryland isn't "southern".

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yeah. They've been dicking around to get that facility built for several years for the local farmers. It will service them from southern Prince George's (and maybe Anne Arundel) and all three SoMD Counties. This is a win-win if it comes to fruition. No more hauling your steers and pigs to Hagerstown for slaughter and processing.

Does Harris-Teeter in Dunkirk being sold and becoming a Piggly Wiggly count as a "new business"?

I thought there was a local butcher in Hollywood or Mechanicsville?

SamSpade

Does anyone know WHAT is being built - NOW - across from Wildewood, ALDI and next to the Taphouse? A year or more ago, it was supposed to be a Royal Farms. It has been torn up so many times, I am not sure that it even has a plan for anything. Seems like just a month or two ago, I was watching machines tamp down and flatten the dirt - NOW, it's all torn up again.

WTF?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Does anyone know WHAT is being built - NOW - across from Wildewood, ALDI and next to the Taphouse? A year or more ago, it was supposed to be a Royal Farms. It has been torn up so many times, I am not sure that it even has a plan for anything. Seems like just a month or two ago, I was watching machines tamp down and flatten the dirt - NOW, it's all torn up again.

WTF?
It's where heavy equipment driver practice moving dirt for the real jobs.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Oh they're definitely doing THAT down Airport View Road where they expanded the airport - running into dump trucks all hours.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I thought there was a local butcher in Hollywood or Mechanicsville?
There may be but he may not be allowed to slaughter the stock only process it. The cow and pig guys I know have to truck their animals to Hagerstown for slaughter and if it's busy there some take them to Pennsylvania.

stgislander

PREMO Member

My wife says that all those used to 'upscale' Harris Teeter will be in for a surprise with Piggly Wiggly. From her years in NC, she rates PW right up there with Food Lion.

SamSpade

My wife says that all those used to 'upscale' Harris Teeter will be in for a surprise with Piggly Wiggly. From her years in NC, she rates PW right up there with Food Lion.
FWIW - I don't LIKE it because it's upsscale - I like it becase -

1. Produce and surrounding area superior to every other store in the area and better selection
2. VERY CLEAN
3. Great fresh food
4. A lot more items I'm looking for are there - if no one has it, HT often does
5. Staff are almost always SUPER polite

Downside? Yeah well, lotta stuff costs more. Meat selection is much weaker. Bakery area almost non-existent, as well as the bread aisle.
Refrigerated items and frozen items make no sense the way they are organized.

Now - for Food Lion - really, almost everything is inferior.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
FWIW - I don't LIKE it because it's upsscale - I like it becase -

1. Produce and surrounding area superior to every other store in the area and better selection
2. VERY CLEAN
3. Great fresh food
4. A lot more items I'm looking for are there - if no one has it, HT often does
5. Staff are almost always SUPER polite

Downside? Yeah well, lotta stuff costs more. Meat selection is much weaker. Bakery area almost non-existent, as well as the bread aisle.
Refrigerated items and frozen items make no sense the way they are organized.

Now - for Food Lion - really, almost everything is inferior.
Then you're an outlier. Well, maybe not if you don't live in Calvert, here it's the cachet of the store shows that you're discriminating and upscale. And yes, I've had people say that to me, more than just a few.

I like H-T's half cakes. Not necessarily a particular one but that you can get a half a one.

Last edited:

SamSpade

The address for that puts it in the way back past the theater.

I found another site showing ANOTHER Chipotle and two other stores.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There may be but he may not be allowed to slaughter the stock only process it. The cow and pig guys I know have to truck their animals to Hagerstown for slaughter and if it's busy there some take them to Pennsylvania.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Do they slaughter them there?
The Amish community was a big driver to get this proposed facility (I say proposed because it's way behind schedule and now they're changing the location. As I said, they've been dicking around about it for years). Calvert and Charles were both butt hurt when St. Mary's got it.