New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Do they slaughter them there?
The Amish community was a big driver to get this proposed facility (I say proposed because it's way behind schedule and now they're changing the location. As I said, they've been dicking around about it for years). Calvert and Charles were both butt hurt when St. Mary's got it.
Did you open the link? It says yes. I'm not sure about the Amish had anything to do with this. The family looks "English", not Amish.

TPD

the poor dad
More info on the Southern Maryland Ag Center:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I hope they quickly can make this happen one way or another. The few times we purchased 4-H hogs, they were sent away to Delaware for processing.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There may be but he may not be allowed to slaughter the stock only process it. The cow and pig guys I know have to truck their animals to Hagerstown for slaughter and if it's busy there some take them to Pennsylvania.
Our - well, Earl's - beeves get slaughtered and processed up in Warrenton, VA.

SamSpade

So - this Ag Center - will be in the CHARLOTTE HALL empty McKay's? It's not as though they're not all over the place.

What would be the advantage of one, for me, as a consumer? Farm fresh meat and produce? Is it mostly like a farmer's market?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
So - this Ag Center - will be in the CHARLOTTE HALL empty McKay's? It's not as though they're not all over the place.

What would be the advantage of one, for me, as a consumer? Farm fresh meat and produce? Is it mostly like a farmer's market?
Yes. The theory is that it will be a local centralized outlet for SoMD producers so they don't have to travel so far to sell their stuff. The planning for this has been going on almost as long as the planning for a TJ replacement.

TPD

the poor dad
Yes. The theory is that it will be a local centralized outlet for SoMD producers so they don't have to travel so far to sell their stuff. The planning for this has been going on almost as long as the planning for a TJ replacement.
but we already have the Barns at New Market for the selling part that is still fairly new.

The main reason as I understand it for this new ag center is for the processing of animals AFTER they have been slaughtered, not an actual slaughter house. The other reason is for a commercial kitchen so people have an "approved" facility to make some jams and pickle some beets. If our health department regulations weren't so stringent, there wouldn't be a need for this commercial kitchen - the farm wives could continue baking their bread and jamming their jellies in their own kitchens like they've done for years without killing their own family members or john q public. But it is the role of government to keep themselves in business and to stay relevant by creating all these unnecessary regulations that just keep making things more expensive so they then can ask the question of why is inflation out of control and why is everything so damn expensive. This crap just pisses me off - a waste of taxpayer money!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
but we already have the Barns at New Market for the selling part that is still fairly new.

The main reason as I understand it for this new ag center is for the processing of animals AFTER they have been slaughtered, not an actual slaughter house. The other reason is for a commercial kitchen so people have an "approved" facility to make some jams and pickle some beets. If our health department regulations weren't so stringent, there wouldn't be a need for this commercial kitchen - the farm wives could continue baking their bread and jamming their jellies in their own kitchens like they've done for years without killing their own family members or john q public. But it is the role of government to keep themselves in business and to stay relevant by creating all these unnecessary regulations that just keep making things more expensive so they then can ask the question of why is inflation out of control and why is everything so damn expensive. This crap just pisses me off - a waste of taxpayer money!
Remember the strawberry festival so many years ago in Chaptico?

Reactions: TPD

stgislander

PREMO Member

But where will the slaughter happen if not locally as well?

TPD

the poor dad
But where will the slaughter happen if not locally as well?
NIMBY - Not in my backyard!

That's been the problem - this county doesn't want a full on slaughter house. Neighbors don't want one. I've been out of the loop awhile on this issue since it doesn't affect me, but I thought I recall an amish slaughter facility on Thompson's Corner Road and also the one mentioned above on the Dixon Farm. If I remember, the health department and/or USDA had a real problem with the amish facility(surprise!) since it has no electricity. It's the only one in the nation like this apparently so the govt officials don't know how to handle it, but they have proven they can do it by the book.

The slaughter facility, known as Westham Butcher Shop, LLC, located in Mechanicsville, received its U.S. Department of Agriculture certification in May of last year.

Here is a bit of the history on locally produced meat in SoMD.

Not sure if Mr. Knott is still doing this mobile trailer thing.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
That's like the rural pioneers we had here several years ago who started complaining about the watermen pulling their pots offshore, it made us look low class. That went on for a few years but stopped when the "We love this little Town but here's what has to happen to make us happy" people sold their "forever homes" here and went on to their next "forever home".