New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
They might be able to, but it would be a multi-year effort and you'd have to have local government support (not necessarily financial).

No new Amish are really moving here, if anything they're moving away, because the costs of land and regulations are too high. They are moving to Ohio and further west.

tipsymcgee

An Amish-based store anywhere doesn't solve the concerns over the need for a true grocery store on GM Road and the effects on public transportation if there isn't one. With all the dollar stores and Target/Walmart, they need a smaller grocery only store there, like a Save-A-lot or something along that line that does discounted groceries, produce and meat.

OldHillcrestGuy

"With that, and it's a good idea, the problem wouldn't be a demand one but a supply one. My sense is that the local Amish are pretty stretched just keeping up with demand now without adding another outlet."

Not a bad business problem to have...too much demand for your products. I'm sure the Amish could build capacity enough to centralize into a single location in an old Food Lion. That business model is proven and very likely to succeed. The Amish community is growing with many in PA and other places looking for places to raise their families. Since they usually make good neighbors, it might be a smart idea to give them a leg up in St. Mary's.

I may be mistaken, but I think the one in Marlboro, the Amish come down from Pa. each day.

fatratcat

They might be able to, but it would be a multi-year effort and you'd have to have local government support (not necessarily financial).

No new Amish are really moving here, if anything they're moving away, because the costs of land and regulations are too high. They are moving to Ohio and further west.

That makes sense. Farming probably isn't the way to go in the traditional sense. Farm to table is the way. Imagine an Amish market with several food vendors in a single location in close proximity to the base during lunch. That my friend...smells like money. So, I say help keep them in the county or let the PA Amish do it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
at least some of that is marketing. I might take my kids to Leonard hall if I ever remembered it was there. And I drive by every day! A bit more marketing would certainly pay off for them.

The county doesn't exactly have the money to "market" beyond what is on the Parks & Recreation Website.
They do put notices out when there are sign ups end stuff.

tipsymcgee

That makes sense. Farming probably isn't the way to go in the traditional sense. Farm to table is the way. Imagine an Amish market with several food vendors in a single location in close proximity to the base during lunch. That my friend...smells like money. So, I say help keep them in the county or let the PA Amish do it.

We went to a fairly small little indoor market just like that in York, PA. The outside perimeter was lined with hot food vendors from fried chicken to mexican to seafood and hot pretzels, coffee/ smoothie juice bars, places you could buy something and sit right down to eat....while the inside rows were fresh produce, cheeses, baked goods and sweets, fresh seafood, and even a few non-food vendors with jewelry, candles, etc. I think it's open like Tuesdays and Saturdays. It was nice but in all honesty I doubt it would work here. This bunch lives and dies with the franchises between Wildewood and the main gate on 235.

fatratcat

We went to a fairly small little indoor market just like that in York, PA. The outside perimeter was lined with hot food vendors from fried chicken to mexican to seafood and hot pretzels, coffee/ smoothie juice bars, places you could buy something and sit right down to eat....while the inside rows were fresh produce, cheeses, baked goods and sweets, fresh seafood, and even a few non-food vendors with jewelry, candles, etc. I think it's open like Tuesdays and Saturdays. It was nice but in all honesty I doubt it would work here. This bunch lives and dies with the franchises between Wildewood and the main gate on 235.

I understand your point, but there are 2 clear exceptions. Last week, around lunch time, I drove south near the base. First stop, Blue Wind Gourmet, it was so packed I couldn't park. Stop two, Days Off Bar, so packed I couldn't get in. So, there are exceptions and I believe an Amish run market similar to the ones in Laurel, Upper Marlboro, and Annapolis would be a huge hit. It's a "twofer," fills vacant existing retail space and adds value by creating place people actually want to eat and creates incentive for the Amish to stay [technically...a "threefer"].

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

You need to checkout our own farmers market, jut south of gate 3

tipsymcgee

I understand your point, but there are 2 clear exceptions. Last week, around lunch time, I drove south near the base. First stop, Blue Wind Gourmet, it was so packed I couldn't park. Stop two, Days Off Bar, so packed I couldn't get in. So, there are exceptions and I believe an Amish run market similar to the ones in Laurel, Upper Marlboro, and Annapolis would be a huge hit. It's a "twofer," fills vacant existing retail space and adds value by creating place people actually want to eat and creates incentive for the Amish to stay [technically...a "threefer"].

I may have been off with my word franchise, and I mean the section of road moreso than the businesses. Small businesses can clearly make it in that stretch.

I will have to check out the south Farmer's Market, I honestly did not know it was there. What days?

spinner

We had a place like that not here but over in Prince Frederick years ago, produce, deli, bakery, some artists. It was a nice place to go, we did family events, things for kids. Was run by the county. Now it's a Green Turtle.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
. First stop, Blue Wind Gourmet, it was so packed I couldn't park.

But for some perspective..the place is barely larger than a coffee kiosk with zip for parking. It used to be similarly "packed" back when they sold bicycles and kayaks. The Fire Marshall's limit on that place must be..what?..five? LOL.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
But for some perspective..the place is barely larger than a coffee kiosk with zip for parking. It used to be similarly "packed" back when they sold bicycles and kayaks. The Fire Marshall's limit on that place must be..what?..five? LOL.

And before that, it was the Post Office.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Jerk Flag

New business on GMR.

Attachments

• Jerk Flag.jpg
    Jerk Flag.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 371