NHL is back!

Baz

This. ------------------>
Credit to the Islanders for playing the Penguins tough. Unlike the "experts" on TV, I didn't think it would be an easy series. That said, the Islanders are making it alot tougher than I expected. Good on them.

Penguins need to stop the bad, sloppy passes and get back to disciplined hockey. They're very lucky the powerplay is clicking.

JoeR

Credit to the Islanders for playing the Penguins tough. Unlike the "experts" on TV, I didn't think it would be an easy series. That said, the Islanders are making it alot tougher than I expected. Good on them.

Penguins need to stop the bad, sloppy passes and get back to disciplined hockey. They're very lucky the powerplay is clicking.

I think the so called experts think that is because the Pens beat then 4 games to 1 in the season series. Though only two of those games were lopsided. One by the Pens 6-1 and a 4-1 win for the Islanders.
So Baz what do you think about the penality call in OT? A lot of people are saying the refs shouldn't have called it. Personally I think if it's a penality in the 1st period it's a penality in the 4th or OT. If I remember the same type of penaslity was called earlier in the game when Sid was moving to the net and was held in somewhat the same way and it was called. And you right about some of the passing. I hate seeing those blind passes in the netural zone or out near your own blue line. Most of the time nothing good comes from them.

Baz

I think the so called experts think that is because the Pens beat then 4 games to 1 in the season series. Though only two of those games were lopsided. One by the Pens 6-1 and a 4-1 win for the Islanders.
So Baz what do you think about the penality call in OT? A lot of people are saying the refs shouldn't have called it. Personally I think if it's a penality in the 1st period it's a penality in the 4th or OT. If I remember the same type of penaslity was called earlier in the game when Sid was moving to the net and was held in somewhat the same way and it was called. And you right about some of the passing. I hate seeing those blind passes in the netural zone or out near your own blue line. Most of the time nothing good comes from them.

I agreed with the announcing crew, it absolutely was a penalty and was correctly called as such. I don't pay any attention to the whiners, be it fans or biased ex-players/coaches of the NBC studio crew. A penalty should be called no matter the timing or situation. If the Islanders don't want to be penalized in OT, they shouldn't have comitted the penalty. Hauling Sid down prevented a goal, so it was the right decision at the moment. Just don't get upset when you're called for it.

That's one thing that has always irked me about the NHL. A penalty is a penalty. It should be called the same in a game 7 of the Finals as it would in the 1st period of the season opener. I know many fans like the "it's the playoffs, they should put the whistle away and let them play" mentality. I understand, but don't agree. But since they obviously call the playoffs very differently than the regular season, best hope is that they're consistant with what they call/don't call.

As for the Penguins, I'm confident they realize how lucky they were to play that poorly and still get the win. Should see better decisions tomorrow.

Getting Orpik and/or Neal back would be nice, too. :smile:

JoeR

Getting Orpik and/or Neal back would be nice, too. :smile:[/QUOTE]

Amen. I read earlier that it was a ankle injury for Neal. Not sure how accurate the story is since it didn't come directly from the Pens. Though I know Geno wants his sniper back.

Hank

my war
Fleury is the playoff choker.

Props to M. Green for elevating his play this season. I was down on him for awhile.

Baz

Getting Orpik and/or Neal back would be nice, too. :smile:

Amen. I read earlier that it was a ankle injury for Neal. Not sure how accurate the story is since it didn't come directly from the Pens. Though I know Geno wants his sniper back.[/QUOTE]

I've heard it was an ankle for Neal as well. Better that than the knee. Good news is both Neal and Brooks are on the ice with the rest of the team at practice. It doesn't necessarily mean both will play, but it's a positive sign.

JoeR

Fleury is the playoff choker.

Props to M. Green for elevating his play this season. I was down on him for awhile.

I don't usually make comments like this, but today I'll make an exception.

I guess you would know what a playoff choker looks like watching Ovechkin in the playoffs every year. Last time I looked Fleury's name is on the Stanley Cup.

Ok, back to our regulary scheduled program. :whistle:

Sweet 16

^^8^^

I guess you would know what a playoff choker looks like watching Ovechkin in the playoffs every year. Last time I looked Fleury's name is on the Stanley Cup.

Okay kiddies, Fleury is a goalie and Ovie is a fwd - apples to oranges. And the last time I checked, cups are won (or lost) by TEAMS, not individuals.

Baz

Okay kiddies, Fleury is a goalie and Ovie is a fwd - apples to oranges. And the last time I checked, cups are won (or lost) by TEAMS, not individuals.

:dingding:

JoeR, Hank is just trolling with the Fleury comment.

Either that, or he's one of those less-than-knowledgeable fans who think every goal scored against is the fault of the goalie. The Pens would have easily lost yesterday if MAF was "choking". :cheers:

JoeR

I know he's just trolling for reactions. I just couldn't resist.
I know there are only a handful of true Caps fans on here. And so you don't take that wrong, I consider you one of them Sweet 16.

JoeR

:dingding:

JoeR, Hank is just trolling with the Fleury comment.

Either that, or he's one of those less-than-knowledgeable fans who think every goal scored against is the fault of the goalie. The Pens would have easily lost yesterday if MAF was "choking". :cheers:

Here's a good comparison of the goalies through the first 3 games. This is from a article I read on CBS Sports in Pgh.

Fleury has done what you ask of any goaltender – give the team a chance to win.

By comparison, Nabokov has allowed 12 goals in three games and has a .836 save percentage having only faced 73 shots.

As for Fleury, he’s at a .923 save percentage having allowed eight goals on 104 shots.

SoMdDude

Ovechkin chokes in the playoffs? Hardly, look at his career playoff stats in the NHL Alex Ovechkin Washington Capitals - 2012-2013 Stats - Washington Capitals - Team

No one player can do it all by himself, the rest of the TEAM chokes..

OV has 61 points in 53 nhl games, thats hardly choking

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Here's a good comparison of the goalies through the first 3 games. This is from a article I read on CBS Sports in Pgh.

Fleury has done what you ask of any goaltender – give the team a chance to win.

By comparison, Nabokov has allowed 12 goals in three games and has a .836 save percentage having only faced 73 shots.

As for Fleury, he’s at a .923 save percentage having allowed eight goals on 104 shots.

Braden Holtby's got a .983 save percentage through 2 games....

Granted, he doesn't have nearly the same amount of shots on goal, but I'm really impressed how he steps up and dominates whent he pressure is on.

JoeR

Braden Holtby's got a .983 save percentage through 2 games....

Granted, he doesn't have nearly the same amount of shots on goal, but I'm really impressed how he steps up and dominates whent he pressure is on.

Holtby is definately playing great. That comparision was only talking about the Pens/Islanders series so far.

Chris0nllyn

I think the Caps played overly defensive most of the game. Seemed like it was 1 or 2 guys going for the shot, and everyone else was at the blue line.

Good game, but the Caps should have atleast tied it at the end with it being 6 on 4.

How about that Ottawa game? 14 fighting majors, 8 game misconduct calls, total of 210 PIM

:lol:

Hank

my war

Don't get your diapers in a wad, bro! Past 2 years of playoffs (vs. Philly & Tampa) , Fleury has been less than stellar. Tell us the story about how and after what Stanley Cup, you jumped on the Pitt bandwagon. I already know Baz's bandwagon history.