Picketing at Mechanicsville School Tommorrow

ylexot

Super Genius
suzeQ said:
To a point, I agree. But what about when your parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary in November and take a cruise over the Thanksgiving break, inviting as much family as possible to join them? I just made this scenario up to show that there are exceptions. Sometimes others have more of a say in the planning. If it was just her, she could reschedule, but if she was going with other people, she may not have had a say in the schedule.
Yes, there can (and should IMO) be exceptions, but all I've seen is that this is a "yearly cruise" that she takes. Anybody have more details? Why can't she do her yearly cruise during winter, spring, or summer breaks? Makes more sense o me.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
:tantrum:

Principal = head of an elementary school or high school

Principle = moral or ethical standards or judgements

truby20

Fighting like a girl
suzeQ said:
She did go above the principal, to the board of ed, which is the chain of command.
From what I read she only did this after she retired, which just adds to the sillyness of it all.

KCM

Right Where I Belong
suzeQ said:
To a point, I agree. But what about when your parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary in November and take a cruise over the Thanksgiving break, inviting as much family as possible to join them? I just made this scenario up to show that there are exceptions. Sometimes others have more of a say in the planning. If it was just her, she could reschedule, but if she was going with other people, she may not have had a say in the schedule.
If my parents (if they were both alive) had a 50th anniversary coming up and wanted to take us on a cruise that would be great. But is there a set policy somewhere stating that they have to take the cruise at that time? No. You make plans and work around schedules to include when school is in session. Postpone the trip and take it during Christmas break, spring break or summertime. Maybe I am old school but when I was growing up vacations, cruises, etc. were always taken when we were out of school.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
cholo said:
No, my wife foots the bill for those who don't send in money.

That's very generous. Not too bright, but generous.

Don't want your kids to have fun at school once in a while? Fine, send them to military school. Do you expect your kids to learn everything they know in school? Yes, they should learn to spell their names, how to write the alphabet in upper and lowercase, and all the basics in school. But those kids who go to first grade not knowing how to spell their own first name are usually the ones whose parents never spend any time at home trying to teach them anything.

When I was in kindergarten, recess was the fun part of the day, although most children that age find it fun to learn, too.

If the system didn't advance the dummies that can't spell their names, I wouldn't have had to remove my child and home school her. Again, it's not my problem to take up the slack. MY child is my problem.

She doesn't need it from you. I'm willing to bet money that you and FromTexas are the type of parents who give your kids' teachers a hard time.

Yes, I am. I have always been my childs advocate and will continue to do so as long as I am mentally and physically capable. I have been terribly disappointed in the schools and much of the staff that I've had to deal with.

Anyone associated with education seems to want us to relate to them, but when are they going to start trying to relate to the parents.

No. No sympathy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
suzeQ said:
Then I say WAAAAAAAAAAAH... to friggin bad.. we al have to do things we don't like, and have to change plans and schedules because we have JOBS, and CAREERS (some even after just 2 years).. I'm still AMAZED that teachers get paid time off.. or personal time. Granted you may have a doctors appt, or might be sick.. but I'm sure they get SICK time too...

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
I'm still AMAZED that teachers get paid time off.. or personal time.
Suppose a teacher's mother dies and she needs time to take care of things? Does she need to wait until Christmas?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I have followed the Palko case with interest. I know many teachers do not like Abell - the reasons vary. I have generally supported Mrs. Palko although I believe she went to extremes.

My question though is this: The BOE was planning to change the absency rules for students so that it would not be an excused absence if the child was not at school due to family vacation. Their reasoning was that the school schedule was known well in advance, etc. I think that may be in place now. Could it be that Mrs. Abell was attempting to hold Mrs. Palko to that same policy? Just a thought.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
K_Jo said:
Suppose a teacher's mother dies and she needs time to take care of things? Does she need to wait until Christmas?

Bury her on the week-end. we DO have refrigeration now!!

ONLY kidding.. a funeral is not a cruise.. and am sure the school would allow some time for that if they didn't have paid personal time.. after all we are taxpyers not barbarians..

and I have a feeling that is exactly the point the principal is trying to make.. life events like funerals, family emergencies is/was the intent of personal time, NOT a cruise..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
suzeQ said:
But what about when your parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary in November and take a cruise over the Thanksgiving break, inviting as much family as possible to join them?
You can say sorry,
I have to work
I can't afford it now
I don't want to be in the next room and listen to the headbord banging against the wall.

ylexot

Super Genius
K_Jo said:
Family funerals/emergencies are covered by sick leave, not personal leave (at least that's how it works for me).

D

dems4me

ylexot said:
Family funerals/emergencies are covered by sick leave, not personal leave (at least that's how it works for me).

I thought it was called hardship leave - as was requested by her boss - according to a previous post... the one where she didn't want to lie :shrug:
maybe y'all should just create a poll on this :shrug:

Bogart

bresamil said:
I have followed the Palko case with interest. I know many teachers do not like Abell - the reasons vary. I have generally supported Mrs. Palko although I believe she went to extremes.

My question though is this: The BOE was planning to change the absency rules for students so that it would not be an excused absence if the child was not at school due to family vacation. Their reasoning was that the school schedule was known well in advance, etc. I think that may be in place now. Could it be that Mrs. Abell was attempting to hold Mrs. Palko to that same policy? Just a thought.
Some of my friends are teachers. We've tried to plan group vacations with them but they can never go because we like to go during the school year after all the tards have left the vacation areas. They know that they are supposed to be teaching at that time, not romping around with us in some tropical paradise. :shrug:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
I did not know that. I guess that's why you're the Super Genius!

suzeQ

Occasional User
itsbob said:
Then I say WAAAAAAAAAAAH... to friggin bad.. we al have to do things we don't like, and have to change plans and schedules because we have JOBS, and CAREERS (some even after just 2 years).. I'm still AMAZED that teachers get paid time off.. or personal time. Granted you may have a doctors appt, or might be sick.. but I'm sure they get SICK time too...

Teachers get ten sick days per year, plus three personal days, if needed.

As I pointed out, it is not always possible to schedule your personal days on days when there is no school. Teachers may use the sick days when they are ill, or to care for an ill person in their family.

Someone pointed out how many times school is not in session a full five days in a week. Many of these days are teacher work days, when staff has to be at school, or at a workshop location, all day. If they are not in attendance, they have to take leave. So just because your child is not at school for five days a week every week, don't assume the teachers are home, sleeping in.

Bogart

suzeQ said:
Teachers get ten sick days per year, plus three personal days, if needed.

As I pointed out, it is not always possible to schedule your personal days on days when there is no school. Teachers may use the sick days when they are ill, or to care for an ill person in their family.

Someone pointed out how many times school is not in session a full five days in a week. Many of these days are teacher work days, when staff has to be at school, or at a workshop location, all day. If they are not in attendance, they have to take leave. So just because your child is not at school for five days a week every week, don't assume the teachers are home, sleeping in.
I figured they were in the teacher's lounge drinking :simpsons: