Picketing at Mechanicsville School Tommorrow

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!!!!
Yeah -- he's not on the forums. He'll never know. I can be as slutty as I was in high school!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
cholo said:
Because the same ones who don't send in the money wouldn't send in snacks. She also has to be careful when there is a kid who has peanut allergies.

At least 30 years ago. Well, not really home economics, but I remember doing cooking activities when I was in kindergarten.

Food and snacks. $150 divided by 20 school days is $7.50 a day. Divide that by 15 kids, that's 50cents per kid.

She has considered stopping the snack money collection, but the kids love snack time and the cooking activities. And before the "kids don't go to school to have fun" comments come in, remember that these are 5 and 6 year olds.

So, you're saying that the parents who send the 5 bucks in are footing the bill for the students who have parents that don't send money in? Classic. It's not enough that my taxes pay for their food in the first place.

I never cooked in school until I took home-ec in middle school. In kindergarten they're supposed to be learning the basics. No wonder half of them can't spell their name by the time they reach first grade. I bet they can bake a batch of cookies, though. :yay:

She should stop the snack time AND the cooking classes. Parents would love to see their kids learn how to spell their names. :yay:

I have no sympathy for teachers.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
In first grade we made applesauce. We had to bring our own apples. We also made pine cone wreaths. We had to bring our own pine cones.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
K_Jo said:
In first grade we made applesauce. We had to bring our own apples. We also made pine cone wreaths. We had to bring our own pine cones.

After school acitivity. What a concept!

suzeQ

Occasional User
elaine said:
She should stop the snack time AND the cooking classes. Parents would love to see their kids learn how to spell their names. :yay:QUOTE]

Teachers have to follow a set curriculum. They certainly have choices about how to present the information, but cooking is a practical skill that, unfortunately, many students don't get at home anymore. Some children have never seen their parents prepare food. They also get the concept of measuring, mixing, etc. from a cooking lesson.

It's a lot to expect 5 and 6 year olds to sit down with a pencil the entire school day.

Bogart

suzeQ said:
elaine said:
She should stop the snack time AND the cooking classes. Parents would love to see their kids learn how to spell their names. :yay:QUOTE]

Teachers have to follow a set curriculum. They certainly have choices about how to present the information, but cooking is a practical skill that, unfortunately, many students don't get at home anymore. Some children have never seen their parents prepare food. They also get the concept of measuring, mixing, etc. from a cooking lesson.

It's a lot to expect 5 and 6 year olds to sit down with a pencil the entire school day.
Then send your kid to cooking school :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
suzeQ said:
elaine said:

It is not the teachers job to take up the parent's slack. I don't care what they're missing at home. It's their job to teach them to read and write.

suzeQ

Occasional User
elaine said:
It is not the teachers job to take up the parent's slack. I don't care what they're missing at home. It's their job to teach them to read and write.

It's more of a 'whole language' approach. First the teacher reads a book about applesauce. The children discuss it. They draw pictures of apples. They see and taste real apples. Then they take part in making the applesauce. They may even taste other apple products (pies, bread, fritters), and finally they write a story about apples.

It works and the students get a lot more out of it than how they taught us a few decades ago.

Bogart

suzeQ said:
It's more of a 'whole language' approach. First the teacher reads a book about applesauce. The children discuss it. They draw pictures of apples. They see and taste real apples. Then they take part in making the applesauce. They may even taste other apple products (pies, bread, fritters), and finally they write a story about apples.

It works and the students get a lot more out of it than how they taught us a few decades ago.
Sounds like taking the long route to get to A-P-P-L-E-S-A-U-C-E.

Bogart

suzeQ said:
:lmao: I guess you are right, if all you want is for them to learn how to spell.
Well at that point they've been eating and pooping it for years, they are probably pretty experienced with applesauce already :shrug:

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
elaine said:
So, you're saying that the parents who send the 5 bucks in are footing the bill for the students who have parents that don't send money in? Classic. It's not enough that my taxes pay for their food in the first place.

No, my wife foots the bill for those who don't send in money.

elaine said:
I never cooked in school until I took home-ec in middle school. In kindergarten they're supposed to be learning the basics. No wonder half of them can't spell their name by the time they reach first grade. I bet they can bake a batch of cookies, though. :yay:

She should stop the snack time AND the cooking classes. Parents would love to see their kids learn how to spell their names. :yay:

They don't cook every day. But when they do cook and have snacks the kids enjoy it. Don't want your kids to have fun at school once in a while? Fine, send them to military school. Do you expect your kids to learn everything they know in school? Yes, they should learn to spell their names, how to write the alphabet in upper and lowercase, and all the basics in school. But those kids who go to first grade not knowing how to spell their own first name are usually the ones whose parents never spend any time at home trying to teach them anything.

elaine said:
I have no sympathy for teachers.

She doesn't need it from you. I'm willing to bet money that you and FromTexas are the type of parents who give your kids' teachers a hard time.

KCM

Right Where I Belong
suzeQ said:

I think that is a little bit different then snacks everyday. I see what you are talking about though. Last year, my son's 3rd grade class did an ethnic day where all students brought in their ethnic food. That is one thing - learning about different cultures to coincide with the ethnic food theme. I have never had to bring in snacks or asked to provide $5 for class snacks. My son has the option to bring his own snack from home to eat everyday since his lunch break is not until 1:00 - but that is his option only. I am not providing or asking to provide snacks for 28 other kids everyday.

I agree with Elaine and Bogart. Scheduling of a vacation should be done when teachers are on leave for Christmas, Spring break or during summer break. My daughter had a teacher that was off so much during the school year - I didn't even know who she was. The BOE in that area changed the leave policy because of her. Parents refused to have their children placed in her class. It was a burden to everyone in her school for her inability to teach her class and for her to do the job she was hired to do.

Last edited:

truby20

Fighting like a girl
I've been following this for the last few months in the Enterprise as it has played out. After reading the constant letters to the Editor supporting Mrs. Palko I was afraid I was the only one who couldn't believe what an issue this has become. If she was offended that she had to give a reason for taking personal leave she should have gone above the principal and made a complaint and contacted her union representative. But she goes off and retires....and leaves these kids that she "cares" about so much without a permanent teacher two months into the school year. The world didn't stop so she created a fuss and now some parents feel they need to picket this situation. It has all been blown way out of proportion. The worst part is the shadow that this will now cast on the career of what sounds like a remarkable teacher.

Last edited:

suzeQ

Occasional User
truby20 said:
If she was offended that she had to give a reason for taking personal leave she should have gone above the principle and made a complaint and contacted her union representative.

She did go above the principal, to the board of ed, which is the chain of command.

suzeQ

Occasional User
KCM said:
I agree with Elaine and Bogart. Scheduling of a vacation should be done when teachers are on leaving for Christmas, Spring break or during summer break. My daughter had a teacher that was off so much during the school year - I didn't even know who she was. The BOE in that area changed the leave policy because of her. Parents refused to have their children placed in her class. It was a burden to everyone in her school for her inability to teach her class and for her to do the job she was hired to do.

To a point, I agree. But what about when your parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary in November and take a cruise over the Thanksgiving break, inviting as much family as possible to join them? I just made this scenario up to show that there are exceptions. Sometimes others have more of a say in the planning. If it was just her, she could reschedule, but if she was going with other people, she may not have had a say in the schedule.