Picketing at Mechanicsville School Tommorrow

ylexot

Super Genius
suzeQ said:
Teachers get ten sick days per year, plus three personal days, if needed.

As I pointed out, it is not always possible to schedule your personal days on days when there is no school. Teachers may use the sick days when they are ill, or to care for an ill person in their family.

Someone pointed out how many times school is not in session a full five days in a week. Many of these days are teacher work days, when staff has to be at school, or at a workshop location, all day. If they are not in attendance, they have to take leave. So just because your child is not at school for five days a week every week, don't assume the teachers are home, sleeping in.
The first time there was a "teacher inservice" day when I was in school was when I got to high school and there were only 2 of those days. How many do they have to do now?

suzeQ

Occasional User
ylexot said:
The first time there was a "teacher inservice" day when I was in school was when I got to high school and there were only 2 of those days. How many do they have to do now?

Three before the first day of school for students. Six throughout the school year, plus the silly two hour late arrival and early dismissal days.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I have a question. The teachers are aware that some families will not be sending in the five bucks, or whatever amount, for whatever reason. Why do they continually subject students to humiliating situations, instead of creating a way to meet the criteria without asking for money?

suzeQ

Occasional User
elaine said:
I have a question. The teachers are aware that some families will not be sending in the five bucks, or whatever amount, for whatever reason. Why do they continually subject students to humiliating situations, instead of creating a way to meet the criteria without asking for money?

What do you suggest?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
suzeQ said:
What do you suggest?

I'm not the teacher, but there was a time when students didn't have to bring money to school for anything other than lunches.

Suggestion: All you need to learn is a pencil, piece of paper, textbook and a teacher that wants to do his/her job.

You don't need to feed the starving. You don't need to wipe their azzes or blow their noses. You don't need to stack 50 lbs of homework on their backs every day. You don't need 3 1" binders, 2 packs of dividers, a roll of tape, a red, green and purple pen. I could go on, but I would this would be enough for you to grasp the view point of the parents. If you even care.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
elaine said:

You're concerned with subjecting them to humiliating situations when their parents won't send money in once a month for snacks but aren't these the same parents that would send their kids to school daily without one? I think I'd rather be humiliated once a month instead of on a daily basis.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Dymphna said:
Why, yes I do, don't I? :diva: It must be the ketchup stained shirt and the baby powder perfume. :shrug:
I think you missed a splot of baby poop on your sleeve there ... yea, right above your wrist. :wink:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
pixiegirl said:
You're concerned with subjecting them to humiliating situations when their parents won't send money in once a month for snacks but aren't these the same parents that would send their kids to school daily without one? I think I'd rather be humiliated once a month instead of on a daily basis.

It's not my problem if the parents don't spend their welfare checks responsibly. How many ways do I have to say, it's not my problem? It's not the teachers job to save the world. It's the teachers job to teach. If they want to save the world, they should join a save the world organization.

crabcake said:
I think you missed a splot of baby poop on your sleeve there ... yea, right above your wrist. :wink:
They have graduated beyond the stage of getting baby poop on your clothes. Now they will even take off their stinky diapers wherever they are (so you can find it with your bare feet while carrying a load of something in your arms and can't see the floor) and run around bare (and poopy) azzed until you can tackle them and slap a clean one on there.

suzeQ

Occasional User
elaine said:
I'm not the teacher, but there was a time when students didn't have to bring money to school for anything other than lunches.

Suggestion: All you need to learn is a pencil, piece of paper, textbook and a teacher that wants to do his/her job.

You don't need to feed the starving. You don't need to wipe their azzes or blow their noses. You don't need to stack 50 lbs of homework on their backs every day. You don't need 3 1" binders, 2 packs of dividers, a roll of tape, a red, green and purple pen. I could go on, but I would this would be enough for you to grasp the view point of the parents. If you even care.

I certainly care. I am a parent. I am not a teacher, but I have a lot of friends who are.

I think classroom management has changed so much from when we went to school because society has changed so much. While I don't believe teachers should be parents, I do believe there are more gaps now and that teachers do fill them in. Years ago most students had a parent waiting for them when they got home from school. A very small percentage do now.

I also believe those 'called' to teaching (I'm not) want to give more than just basic 3Rs skills. They care about the children as a person, not just what questions they can answer correctly.

I spent many hours volunteering in elementary classrooms (as well as working, though not as a teacher) and gained a whole new appreciation for the profession.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
They have graduated beyond the stage of getting baby poop on your clothes. Now they will even take off their stinky diapers wherever they are (so you can find it with your bare feet while carrying a load of something in your arms and can't see the floor) and run around bare (and poopy) azzed until you can tackle them and slap a clean one on there.
:twitch: I'm going back on the pill.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
elaine said:
It's not my problem if the parents don't spend their welfare checks responsibly. How many ways do I have to say, it's not my problem? It's not the teachers job to save the world. It's the teachers job to teach. If they want to save the world, they should join a save the world organization.

But in the post you made the exact one I was replying to you were concerned with the children being continuously humiliated. I was simply presenting the "lesser of two evils".