Picketing at Mechanicsville School Tommorrow

KCM

Right Where I Belong
crabcake said:
Nahh, private/christian schools are different. They rely on tuition and parish donations. Even the local ones in St. Marys -- specifically Mother Catherine Spalding -- still require a great deal of "support" from parents ... not only in supplies, but in regular, required volunteer time at the school as well as fundraiser such as bingo. If you don't fulfill your volunteer time, you cough up more money for your kid's tuition. :ohwell:
At the Catholic High School I went to we not only had to pay for tuition but we paid for our text books as well. This was in addition to the uniforms and the school supplies.:ohwell:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
crabcake said:
Nahh, private/christian schools are different. They rely on tuition and parish donations. Even the local ones in St. Marys -- specifically Mother Catherine Spalding -- still require a great deal of "support" from parents ... not only in supplies, but in regular, required volunteer time at the school as well as fundraiser such as bingo. If you don't fulfill your volunteer time, you cough up more money for your kid's tuition. :ohwell:

Doesn't matter. It's the same 10 families doing an easy 600 hours and a batch of families barely getting their 20 hours a year in. Used to be 30 hours required. A friend said her school requires 60. :yikes: I'd have to quit my job!

crabcake said:
I might as well throw my money out the car window instead.
In that case, large bills and you know where my house is. Let me know when you hit the 'hood so I can grab the bag and pointy stick to pick it up with. :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
crabcake said:
speaking of which ... :tap:

I'll be ready in two weeks unless you need it out sooner. I could get it and put it in my new garage that's not being used if you need it out of the house. You never did tell me how much...

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
K_Jo said:
I'm confused -- did kids just start having to take a bunch of supplies to school? I remember having a HUGE list of school supplies we had to bring in before the end of the first week of school every year. Everyone even had to bring in a box of tissues. That was almost 30 years ago. Didn't everyone else have to do that? Or was that just Catholic school?
I remember taking a box of tissues every year to public school. :shrug: I remember being asked to save toilet paper tubes, baby food jars, styrofoam meat trays (complete with botullism) and miscellaneous other trash. I also remember mom always baked cupcakes or cookies for Halloween, Christmas, Easter and end of school parties.

We made applesauce in kindergarten. We also made p-nut butter and butter. I seem to recall Mom sending in a couple of bucks to cover these activities at the time. :shrug:

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
elaine said:
I never did it. All the way through school all I had to supply was paper and pencil, and then it was for me. I wasn't required to buy paper and turn it over to the teacher. If we had a cold, we brought our own tissues or went to the bathroom and grabbed a hand full of toilet paper. Most of the time we copied our assignments from text books that didn't leave the class room.

That sounded like Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man character.

“Back in my day a child would open up a gift and within seconds he’s either burst into flames or lose a limb! That’s the way it was and we liked it!”

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
bresamil said:
Doesn't matter. It's the same 10 families doing an easy 600 hours and a batch of families barely getting their 20 hours a year in. Used to be 30 hours required. A friend said her school requires 60. :yikes: I'd have to quit my job!
I know ... when they told me I could pay the added tuition vs. doing the required volunteer hours, I'd have had to take a second job to pay for it. :ohwell:

What got me was when they asked, "So what school does your daughter go to now?" and I told them she was in pre-K at Banneker, they said, "And you want to take her out of there to put her in here?" :confused: They said that they'd heard Banneker was such a great school and :blahblah: yet I was getting letters from the teacher and principal with misspellings and punctuation errors. Not exactly the peeps I want teaching my kid ... if M.C.S. was worse than Banneker, they didn't need my cash or my kid. :ohwell:

suzeQ

Occasional User
Dymphna said:
I remember taking a box of tissues every year to public school. :shrug: I remember being asked to save toilet paper tubes, baby food jars, styrofoam meat trays (complete with botullism) and miscellaneous other trash. I also remember mom always baked cupcakes or cookies for Halloween, Christmas, Easter and end of school parties.

We made applesauce in kindergarten. We also made p-nut butter and butter. I seem to recall Mom sending in a couple of bucks to cover these activities at the time. :shrug:

Don't forget the shoe boxes! My Mom had a closet full of them because my brother, sisters and I would all need them at the same time.

Bogart

suzeQ said:
And by the way, I didn't see much humiliation from the students who never brought money in for anything. The teachers would try to make the 'free lunch' list descreet, but the students would brag about not having to pay. Many of the low income children are so used to not paying for anything, they just assumed it didn't mean them when they were reminded about fees. It's sad and I don't agree with it, but I didn't witness any humiliation over it.
poor = street cred :yay:

crabcake

pixiegirl said:
I'll be ready in two weeks unless you need it out sooner. I could get it and put it in my new garage that's not being used if you need it out of the house. You never did tell me how much...
It's not in the way ... just checking to make sure you didn't invoke your prerogative as a woman and change your mind. :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Dymphna said:
I remember being asked to save toilet paper tubes, baby food jars, styrofoam meat trays (complete with botullism) and miscellaneous other trash. I also remember mom always baked cupcakes or cookies for Halloween, Christmas, Easter and end of school parties.

We did that, too.

The cupcakes and cookies were for special occasions, like halloween, christmas, easter and end of the year parties. They were brought from home. The teacher didn't ask for money so s/he could supply the class with the snacks s/he felt was appropriate. Our teachers were smart enough to work with what was available to them.

Bogart

crabcake said:
I know ... when they told me I could pay the added tuition vs. doing the required volunteer hours, I'd have had to take a second job to pay for it. :ohwell:
I used to cover people's volunteer hours for cash :proxy:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
crabcake said:

What got me was when they asked, "So what school does your daughter go to now?" and I told them she was in pre-K at Banneker, they said, "And you want to take her out of there to put her in here?" :confused: They said that they'd heard Banneker was such a great school and :blahblah: yet I was getting letters from the teacher and principal with misspellings and punctuation errors. Not exactly the peeps I want teaching my kid ... if M.C.S. was worse than Banneker, they didn't need my cash or my kid. :ohwell:
Wow. I'm surprised they said that . About 6 years back Banneker was "the" school. Now I think the title has moved on. I like MCS. A middle schooler does more homework than I ever had in college, but I like the school. I like the teachers.

crabcake

Bogart said:
I used to cover people's volunteer hours for cash :proxy:
They mentioned there were some folks who did that but it was just too much hassle for what sounded like a less-than mediocre education for my kid. :ohwell:

D

dems4me

elaine said:
That's what I was wishing, but it was just the booze. Look where I am today. Self sufficient.

Same here :ohwell:... I just threw in crack to keep up with society these days... :lol:

suzeQ

Occasional User
Bogart said:
That has been eliminated from schools now, right? :thankgoodness:

Now they do 'fall festivals,' 'winter celebrations' (where they acknowledge all holidays), and 'spring flings' or whatever. They find ways around it, but are descreet enough so that parents who object can't get too upset.