Pit bulls and your opinion

What is your opinion regarding Pit bulls

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
What was it bred for?

Bull baiting.

"Fact: The history of the pit bull far predates the time when bans on bull baiting caused blood sport fanciers to turn to fighting dog against dog. The very name "bull" or "bulldog" gives us the clue as to what the original purpose of this breed was.

Far back into history - too far for us to see - man had bred dogs for gripping large game like boar and bear. From these dogs developed the Butcher's Dog, or Bulldog. The bulldog was an animal from 35 to 80 pounds, long of leg, sturdy in body, athletic, with a strong head and muzzle. The pit bulls of today descend directly from these animals. "

Taken from Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

tommyjones

Bull baiting.

"Fact: The history of the pit bull far predates the time when bans on bull baiting caused blood sport fanciers to turn to fighting dog against dog. The very name "bull" or "bulldog" gives us the clue as to what the original purpose of this breed was.

Far back into history - too far for us to see - man had bred dogs for gripping large game like boar and bear. From these dogs developed the Butcher's Dog, or Bulldog. The bulldog was an animal from 35 to 80 pounds, long of leg, sturdy in body, athletic, with a strong head and muzzle. The pit bulls of today descend directly from these animals. "

oh, so they were breed for their bloodlust and viciousness..... now i can see how they wuld make great pets......

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
As Baja already stated..."I'd like those defending the dogs to post more current data from a valid, non-biased source. "

At least those who don't care for the breed are coming up with stats. Those defending the dogs aren't even coming up with old stats to back their arguments.

I did this a couple years ago for you guys. The temperment testing stats. The Pit Bulls were more sound than many other "popular" pet breeds.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Bull baiting.

I was reading this....Pit Bull Breed History ...just wanted to see what you'd come back with.

Solja_Boy

Pix, I watched a show on National Geographic last night about how humans created all dog breeds. Each dog breed was created to satisfy desired traits. I don't understand why you deny the purpose behind the creation of the pitbull...:confused:

Exactly. Pit bulls where bread to fight other animals. However part of their breeding is to be non people agressive. Being non people agressive is a very big part of the breed.

Pit bulls where originally bread to fight as pack in a ring against a bull. Once that was banned people started to fight them against each other.

On a side note I have a pit bull that is so mean it shares a bed with a cat and likes to lick little kids in the face.

tommyjones

Exactly. Pit bulls where bread to fight other animals. However part of their breeding is to be non people agressive. Being non people agressive is a very big part of the breed.

Pit bulls where originally bread to fight as pack in a ring against a bull. Once that was banned people started to fight them against each other.

On a side note I have a pit bull that is so mean it shares a bed with a cat and likes to lick little kids in the face.

and i can show you labs that hate the water, one instance proves nothing. The stereotype is there for a reason, they earned it as a breed.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Breed Name, Tested, Passed, Failed, Percent

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER, 586, 494, 92, 84.3%
BORDER COLLIE, 238, 191, 47, 80.3%
BOXER, 381, 321, 60, 84.3%
DACHSHUND (STANDARD SMOOTH) 47, 33, 14, 70.2%
DOBERMAN PINSCHER 1487, 1146, 341, 77.1%
GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG 2875, 2401, 474, 83.5%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER, 703, 592, 111, 84.2%
GREYHOUND, 63, 51, 12, 81.0%
LABRADOR RETRIEVER, 705, 647, 58, 91.8%

Taken from ATTS and stats were updated in Dec 2007. :curtsy: You can go through and look at all the stats for all breeds. I don't have the patience to list anymore. The American Pit Bull Terrier was thouroughly tested and stacked up very well, Again....

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It's almost impossible to convince people one way or the other on this one. Education is all that can be done... for the ones that own the breed and for those that don't

I don't believe everything I read, but I do believe my personal experiences, and those of others.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Breed Name, Tested, Passed, Failed, Percent

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER, 586, 494, 92, 84.3%
BORDER COLLIE, 238, 191, 47, 80.3%
BOXER, 381, 321, 60, 84.3%
DACHSHUND (STANDARD SMOOTH) 47, 33, 14, 70.2%
DOBERMAN PINSCHER 1487, 1146, 341, 77.1%
GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG 2875, 2401, 474, 83.5%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER, 703, 592, 111, 84.2%
GREYHOUND, 63, 51, 12, 81.0%
LABRADOR RETRIEVER, 705, 647, 58, 91.8%

Taken from ATTS and stats were updated in Dec 2007. :curtsy: You can go through and look at all the stats for all breeds. I don't have the patience to list anymore. The American Pit Bull Terrier was thouroughly tested and stacked up very well, Again....

Link please.

Solja_Boy

and i can show you labs that hate the water, one instance proves nothing. The stereotype is there for a reason, they earned it as a breed.

The getto trained dogs. Which will attack anything has nothing to do with the breed. Any dog that is constatly abused will act the same way.