Pit bulls and your opinion

What is your opinion regarding Pit bulls

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tommyjones

People..

Mr Logic only regurgitates what he see's/reads.

How about we get rid of ALL alcohol because drunk drivers kill thousands each year...

How about we get rid of all guns because people are shot every day...

Hey everybody, Mr latetotheparty thinks a dog with its own mind in on the same level with an inanimate object.

try reading the posts (i know its harder than just spouting off a bunch of BS), you'll see i have described my personal experiences plenty.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This would be much more interesting if you two would stop tearing at each other's throats like a couple of rabid pit bulls.

LateApex

Hey everybody, Mr latetotheparty thinks a dog with its own mind in on the same level with an inanimate object.

try reading the posts (i know its harder than just spouting off a bunch of BS), you'll see i have described my personal experiences plenty.

Learn2Comprehend...

Blame the deed. Not the breed.

The drunk driver kills people - not the alcohol.
The person holding the gun kills people - not the gun.

Any dog that isn't properly trained can be untrustworthy.

Why do they use german shepards as police dogs? Yes, because of their strength and intelligence. But, also because it's easier to train them to be human aggressive.

You would think they would use a breed that is a killer like pitbulls, huh?

It's NOT in pitbull's nature to be human aggressive.

tommyjones

Learn2Comprehend...

Blame the deed. Not the breed.

The drunk driver kills people - not the alcohol.
The person holding the gun kills people - not the gun.

Any dog that isn't properly trained can be untrustworthy.

Why do they use german shepards as police dogs? Yes, because of their strength and intelligence. But, also because it's easier to train them to be human aggressive.

You would think they would use a breed that is a killer like pitbulls, huh?

It's NOT in pitbull's nature to be human aggressive.

the difference is that you are in COMPLETE CONTROL of a gun or a car.
A dog has a mind of its own. They are not the same.
I have NEVER heard a story about a gun walking nextdoor whole the owner was gone and killing the neighbor. Also never heard a story about a pack of cars driving down the highway killing anyone

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
pretty much....

you see you had to go back three or four more posts to see we were talking about this :

I did just to make sure but I still came to the same conclusion! You state that pitts are not put down when they only kill another pet/animal. Nevermind, doesn't matter! Maybe I'm missing something.:whoosh:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
The traditional approach to dangerous dog legislation is to allow "one
free bite," at which point the owner is warned. On second bite, the dog
is killed. The traditional approach, however, patently does not apply in
addressing the threats from pit bull terriers, Rottweilers, and wolf
hybrids. In more than two-thirds of the cases I have logged, the
life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous
behavior by the animal in question. Children and elderly people were almost
always the victims.
Now how is that fair...

I thought you stated the dogs didn't get put down for killing other animals??

i never said that. i said that not all pits get put down on their first bite. you have to read in context..........

besides, many times when a dog attacks it is put down at the owner's request. All of a suden they start to see the liability when someone is in the hospital, or a cop is standing in their doorway talking to them about the neighbors dead dog.

Explain.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hopefully I'll find time for this, and pixie's link tonight.

From the report:

"Reports are logged as received, and the current log is printed out as
requested. Compiled by the editor of ANIMAL PEOPLE from press accounts
since 1982, this table covers only attacks by dogs of clearly identified
breed type or ancestry, as designated by animal control officers or others
with evident expertise, who have been kept as pets. Due to the exclusion
of dogs whose breed type may be uncertain, this is by no means a complete
list of fatal and otherwise serious dog attacks."

From the front page of the website:

Meet your host:
Attorney Kenneth Phillips is the author of this web site. He has a unique law practice: he represents only people who have been bitten by a dog. His clients include children and adults throughout the United States.

Mr. Phillips welcomes E-mail from visitors to this website, especially dog bite victims and their families. He responds personally and answers questions for free. Click here to write to him and receive his personal reply within hours (his E-mail address is kphillips@dogbitelaw.com). Reporters seeking interviews or information are welcome to click here.

Oh no... It's not biased or anything... :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
From the report:

"Reports are logged as received, and the current log is printed out as
requested. Compiled by the editor of ANIMAL PEOPLE from press accounts
since 1982, this table covers only attacks by dogs of clearly identified
breed type or ancestry, as designated by animal control officers or others
with evident expertise, who have been kept as pets. Due to the exclusion
of dogs whose breed type may be uncertain, this is by no means a complete
list of fatal and otherwise serious dog attacks."

From the front page of the website:

Meet your host:
Attorney Kenneth Phillips is the author of this web site. He has a unique law practice: he represents only people who have been bitten by a dog. His clients include children and adults throughout the United States.

Mr. Phillips welcomes E-mail from visitors to this website, especially dog bite victims and their families. He responds personally and answers questions for free. Click here to write to him and receive his personal reply within hours (his E-mail address is kphillips@dogbitelaw.com). Reporters seeking interviews or information are welcome to click here.

Oh no... It's not biased or anything... :lmao:
The stats were from a report developed by Merritt Clifton of Animal People. ANIMAL PEOPLE is the leading independent newspaper providing original investigative coverage of animal protection worldwide. They are animal friendly and think specific breed banning is inappropriate. And the stats aren't a decade old as you griped about earlier. The fact that the report was obtained from a lawyer's site dedicated to those that suffered injury isn't relevent to the facts of the information in the report.

Now looking at the numbers of attacks by breed one would see that Pits far outnumber those of the other breeds listed but the circumstances of how the maulings/killings took place aren't given nor the numbers of each breed owned nor any information about the owners and the animals upbringing/environment. It is just a statistical report.

I own a breed that has a high incident rate and love him immensely but as he is an animal I don't trust him blindly as he is simply that, an animal.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
Now looking at the numbers of attacks by breed one would see that Pits far outnumber those of the other breeds listed but the circumstances of how the maulings/killings took place aren't given nor the numbers of each breed owned nor any information about the owners and the animals upbringing/environment. It is just a statistical report.

I own a breed that has a high incident rate and love him immensely but as he is an animal I don't trust him blindly as he is simply that, an animal.

And THAT is what makes a responsible owner. They realize and recognize the potential the animal has and takes steps to keep it and the public safe.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Ok, I see we have a few late comers to the thread who obviously didn't read it or lack reading comprehension.

Pit owners are like democrats refusing to acknowledge the facts and running on emotion.

So to all who ignore the research, won't look at the pics of the mauled children and fail to provide evidence to the contrary, I say to you: "May your children and the children of others stay safe around your unpredictable and bloodthirsty dogs."

Kids rely on adults to look out for them, I feel sorry for the kids whose parents who need looking after.

Adios and I hope I'm not reading about your children in the news. :howdy:

LateApex

Ok, I see we have a few late comers to the thread who obviously didn't read it or lack reading comprehension.

Pit owners are like democrats refusing to acknowledge the facts and running on emotion.

So to all who ignore the research, won't look at the pics of the mauled children and fail to provide evidence to the contrary, I say to you: "May your children and the children of others stay safe around your unpredictable and bloodthirsty dogs."

Kids rely on adults to look out for them, I feel sorry for the kids whose parents who need looking after.

Adios and I hope I'm not reading about your children in the news. :howdy:

And people against APBT's are like the bible thumping conservatives. Set in their ways because they are blinded by their holier than though attitude.

Listen.. It's your opinion. I can accept that.

But, generalizing, and calling the breed as a whole, blood thirsty dogs is just plain idiotic.

You seem to forget that at the time of WWI pitbulls were the most popular dog - because of their loyalty and jovial nature.

People are responsible for breeding the dog into what it is in the media today. I don't discount that. But, there are responsible breeders and owners that have no problems with these dogs.

:howdy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
The stats were from a report developed by Merritt Clifton of Animal People. ANIMAL PEOPLE is the leading independent newspaper providing original investigative coverage of animal protection worldwide. They are animal friendly and think specific breed banning is inappropriate. And the stats aren't a decade old as you griped about earlier. The fact that the report was obtained from a lawyer's site dedicated to those that suffered injury isn't relevent to the facts of the information in the report.

Ok Ken. I'll see that and raise you the following from that very same site:

The conclusions that we draw about dangerous canines is derived from what we know about them. Our information is from media accounts, government pronouncements and studies, organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control, and experts who have conducted original research as well as reviews of other materials. Unfortunately, however, there are serious gaps in the data on this subject, leaving our assumptions and conclusions open to doubt.

Three commonly accepted sources of information about canine homicides are the CDC, Merritt Clifton (editor of Animal People), and Karen Delise (author of Fatal Dog Attacks). However, none of their figures agree. This is largely because of the difficulties involved in gathering dog bite statistics. When the CDC reported on canine homicides, one of their methods of ensuring accuracy was to eliminate all death reports that did not appear in LexisNexis. When Delise did her study, she included all homicides which were confirmed in other reliable ways, such as by interviews and police files, and arrived at a figure that was 100 deaths higher than the CDC. Clifton's study includes both the USA and Canada, and is derived from newspaper accounts as well as his review of photographs and files.

Delise illustrates the information problem in the following graphic way (quoted from E-mail by her to Attorney Kenneth Phillips):

Consider five fatal attacks included in the CDC statistics.

A man was bitten in the forearm by a Pit bull. The bite was not serious but introduced into the wound was a virulent and fast spreading bacteria. The man died 4 days later from this virulent bacterial infection.

A teenage girl give birth to a infant, distraught and frightened, she tossed the hours-old infant into a neighboring-junk-strewn yard where two Pit bulls resided. The dogs killed the newborn.

A German shepherd mixed breed dog went into a bedroom, lifted a newborn out of a crib and carried the infant (by the head) into the living room where the adults were seated.

A man restrains his girlfriend, while ordering his Pit bull to repeatedly attack her. He is eventually convicted of murder and is serving a 20-year sentence.

An elderly man attempts to stop his German Shepherd dog from fence fighting with his neighbor's dog, the dog turns on his owner, severely mauling him, inflicting fatal head and neck wounds.

The CDC was right, in that five people died as a result of a dog bite. But were all these bites the result of aggression? Were they the same type or level of aggression? Which behaviors initiated the attack, human or canine? So the number of deaths by dogs (as per the CDC) cannot be used to define aggression, or the aggression of certain breeds, as aggression is not defined or qualified.

The disagreement among experts, and the dearth of recent statistics, were two of the reasons why an appellate court for the State of Ohio ruled in 2006 that a pair of breed-based dangerous dog laws were unconstitutional. City of Toledo v. Tellings, 5th Dist. No. L-04-1224, 2006-Ohio-975 (Ohio App. 2006). The supreme court of the state accepted this case for review in August 2006 (110 Ohio St.3d 1435). The court of appeals began its analysis by noting:

Breed-specific laws were enacted because, in the past, courts and legislatures considered it to be a "well-known fact" that pit bulls are "unpredictable," "vicious" creatures owned only by "drug dealers, dog fighters, gang members," or other undesirable members of society. [Citing State v. Anderson (1991), 57 Ohio St.3d 168.] ... As scientific information advances and becomes available, courts have a duty to reconsider issues and make decisions which are supported by the actual evidence presented, instead of relying on "common knowledge" and opinion generated by newspaper sensationalism and hearsay, rather than accurate, scientific evidence. [Par.] As the evidence presented in this case demonstrates, previous cases involving "vicious dog" laws, especially from the late 1980's and early 1990's, relied on what is now outdated information which perpetuated a stereotypical image of pit bulls. ... The trial court noted that all the animal behaviorists from both parties testified that a pit bull, trained and properly socialized like other dogs, would not exhibit any more dangerous characteristics than any other breed of dog. After considering all the evidence before it, the trial court agreed, finding that pit bulls, as a breed, are not more dangerous than other breeds."

The court then stated that,

Our review of the record reveals no current statistics since 1996 were presented to support the notion that pit bulls have continued to be involved in a "disproportionate number" of attacks or fatalities. In our view, despite its own factual finding to the contrary, the trial court improperly relied on an outdated, irrelevant, and inadmissible source of factual information to revive the "vicious" pit bull sentiment and justify the finding that the statutes and ordinance are constitutional.

:patriot:

LateApex

:yay:

Often times bites are reported by people who claim the dog looked like a pitbull as well. This can also skew the numbers...