Pit bulls and your opinion

What is your opinion regarding Pit bulls

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
It's what my neighbors pit bull did to MY dog, in MY yard in the presences of MY children while I tried to beat the dog off and I was 6 months pregnant. The dog and the strong owner lived to see another day. If I ever see them in MY yard again, they won't be as lucky. 'nuff said. MY opinion. I love MOST dogs, not this particular breed.

Obviously not a strong owner and there should have been something done after this happened. There are laws and they need to be enforced.

Where was the owner while you were beating his dog? Doesn't sound like your neighbor was a very responsible owner. I think you just proved the point that Krazd was making.

:howdy: thank you...

I don't have to prove anything. ... Just don't let one wander into my yard, 'cuz I can't tell one from the other. So there.

Because you can't prove anything, your opinions are based on media hype and maybe a bad experience, the entire breed population should not have to pay for that.

OMG! ' Those are two of the dogs we confuse with pits. Say it ain't so!

If you can confuse a Rottweiler with a pit, your opinions are obviously not very informed and really can't contribute to this conversation.

Never said if I liked them one way or the other.. you and many others can't tell the diff was the point..
If no one can tell, how can we ban one breed over another?

It's being proven in many cities and counties that breed bans do not work, unfortunately other cities and counties continue to try to enforce BSL.

...all dogs have an instinct to know whether you are a threat to their family or not. I almost lost her today due to another dog attacking her. Boy was walking her iand Chi in the woods behind our house and a dog came after him - she went after the dog and was cut. She is cut inside of her leg and just missed her artery. She has a drain tube and sutures. She is home and resting but not doing to great as expected. I am hoping its just the anesthetic wearing off. If not, we are back up to the 24 hour vet in Waldorf.

I am so sorry for your dog, hope everything heals up quickly! Beautiful dog, thanks for the pictures!

Dogs are like children - they learn from the environment they are raised. If you are mean and beat them and show them no respect - you get what you get in return. A nasty, non-caring dog just like an angry child that grows up to be a nasty non-caring adult.

I do believe this, I also know that there are sometimes "OFF" dogs and they should be handled as such.

RoseRed;2727553I have also known some pits to be quite friendly and some quite mean....Doesn't mean I want to have one for a pet.[/QUOTE said:
Nothing at all wrong with this attitude.

All dogs have teeth and so that means they can bite. .... People need to know what kind of dog they are getting. Please do research and ask breeders and other dog owners. Do your homework, getting a dog is a big deciscion.

and unfortunately the BYBs will continue to sell to people that have no idea and are looking for a status symbol...

The easy way to do things is make the owner (and any owner) accountable for what their dog does. If it bites a kid make it just the same as if the owner bit the kid and so on. ...Im sure that would fix most of the problems and wouldn't punish the ones that have such great dogs. But I would wager that some people that say their dog would never hurt a fly would thing twice about everything.

Punish the Deed not the Breed

There may be some owners out there who love their pit bulls for their strength and beauty,but there are way too many out there who buy them to intimidate other people with.
These people---cowardly bullies themselves---mistreat the dogs and turn the dog into a bully.
Personally I dont trust the breed. Too many stories of them ripping into kids or owners. ...Especially when that weapon has a reputation for doing just that.

At one time it was the German Shepherds and the Dobermans, then the Rottweilers, the pits are the same, good dogs, bad owners. There are stories about everything, you have only to look. When we see a young person with baggy pants and a hooded sweatshirt walking toward us at night, by reputation and stories, a woman alone is going to be nervous and cross to the other side or return to the store for security.

anybody have stereotypes of breeds that they have found to be true?... So why is it wrong to say "pits were bred to fight, so understand that you have the potential for this thing to put the squeeze on a pet or unsuspecting person"?

You are correct most stereotypes on dogs are true. BUT the correct pit bull may be animal agressive, but NOT human agressive. AND with training you can desensitize a pit to other animals where you can walk in public with him on a secure leash and not have to worry about him/her attacking. The secret is KNOWING there is the possibility and regardless of the training you have put into the dog, you need to be on your toes.

Why not? We sentence murderers to the electric chair.

Because in a court of law, those murderers were proven guilty, they were not sentenced just because they were born black, or they live on the wrong side of the tracks. Too many people don't want to give these dogs that same benefit.

Gumbo great posts!

tommyjones

You are correct most stereotypes on dogs are true. BUT the correct pit bull may be animal agressive, but NOT human agressive. AND with training you can desensitize a pit to other animals where you can walk in public with him on a secure leash and not have to worry about him/her attacking. The secret is KNOWING there is the possibility and regardless of the training you have put into the dog, you need to be on your toes.

so it is correct and in the breed for pits to be agressive.

thats all i am trying to say. you can qualify and defend all you want. the FACT is that they are agressive, and that because of their physiology (massive chomping power combined with thick neck muscles and skull that make it hard to regain control when they "go off") they present a greater danger than most other breed.

its not the training, its the breeding. you might be able to train away some of their tendencies, but they are who they are.......

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I love pits of all breeds. I think they are a beautiful dog and have a bad rap. I was raised with the Marine Corp mascots and would sleep with them in my bed. I know that it is not the dog that is causing the problems it is the demented people that own them. I also think that anyone who would fight their animal to the death should also demise to the same. Its cruel and sick to do this to any animal - roosters(cockfights) included. It angers me to know people are buying, breeding and trainng these wonderful dogs for money. It especially makes me sick to know that they buy them as training dogs for other dogs to fight better. I think justice would be for the owner to get in the ring with them and fight for their life.

:confused: Isn't the Marine Corp mascot a bulldog?

smilin

BOXER NATION
Yep..but a "bully" nonetheless. Just like my Boxers.

I don't trust Pits because of their reputation. Isolated attacks I can see as hysteria, but time after time it's a Pit or worse a pack of them.
Yet I've been in the large dog pen of the dog park surrounded by Pits, Boxers, Rotweillers, Shepperds and other "dangerous" breeds.
Nothing happened, nothing, not even a growl, on more than one occasion.
The one consistent breed that attacked other dogs was: (people will howl on this one) Labradors, specifically yellow Labs. I saw at least five attacks including one on my dog - all by yellow Labs..
I think it's the owners and the relationship with their dog. The thing with Pits is it is a dog bred to attack other animals and any help they get from their owner will just push them into being more aggressive.

Dukesdad

I have had a crazy husky,mastiff, Rotties, and now have American Bulldogs. My brother raised wolf hybrids and shepherds. My parents had a chow. The chow bit more people than can remember; they had neighbors that would open the door and walk right in. Some were a little slow on the uptake.
I've been around big dogs all of my life and of all the dogs I have been around, one AST and the chow scared me. With that being said, I have a fear of pits and I know I couldn't own one and wouldn't want one around my family. They may be fine for others but not for me.

SoMDMama82

Just my .02, I am a owner of a American Red Nosed Pitt Bull(well, co-owner. My fiance brought her into our house 3 years ago). She is a sweetie pie. We have a 14 mo daughter, who the dog will protect to the end.

I love the dog to death, she is a big baby, but I respect her as I do other breed (or any animal with sharp teeth!). I watch her closely around my child, and other children (mainly because she loves to chew stick and such). I put her in our bedroom if we have company over, or if the deliver man is coming to the door. She will protect our family in a heartbeat (even if we may not need it).

If she were to ATTEMPT to attack another person/animal, we would consider putting her down. I would not want to risk my family or anyone elses.

Every animal has it's wild instinct, and could turn on humans at any point. I don't say ban any, just respect them all!

wineo

loving life
I have had a crazy husky,mastiff, Rotties, and now have American Bulldogs. My brother raised wolf hybrids and shepherds. My parents had a chow. The chow bit more people than can remember; they had neighbors that would open the door and walk right in. Some were a little slow on the uptake.
I've been around big dogs all of my life and of all the dogs I have been around, one AST and the chow scared me. With that being said, I have a fear of pits and I know I couldn't own one and wouldn't want one around my family. They may be fine for others but not for me.

Oyster and Pearl, remember them well:yahoo:. The little dog had to be locked up before I could come in:lmao:, and I am not afraid of dogs, have been around them all my life, but Pits are different.

I agree with you on this. Don't want them around me, my dogs, just don't trust them.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
I don't trust Pits because of their reputation. Isolated attacks I can see as hysteria, but time after time it's a Pit or worse a pack of them.Yet I've been in the large dog pen of the dog park surrounded by Pits, Boxers, Rotweillers, Shepperds and other "dangerous" breeds.
Nothing happened, nothing, not even a growl, on more than one occasion.
The one consistent breed that attacked other dogs was: (people will howl on this one) Labradors, specifically yellow Labs. I saw at least five attacks including one on my dog - all by yellow Labs..
I think it's the owners and the relationship with their dog. The thing with Pits is it is a dog bred to attack other animals and any help they get from their owner will just push them into being more aggressive.

Many times on dog attacks they report it as a pit or pit mix, rarely do they correct the statement when they find out it was actually a Labrador or any other breed. They don't sell newspapers, the pit attacks do.

I always advise my adopters, be it pits or Rottweilers to NOT go to dog parks as anything that happens there, regardless if their dog is laying on it's back for a belly rub, it will be their dogs fault, and that will only add to their bad reputation.

I don't trust huskys or chows (now is that strange) but I would never say ban them or give a neighbor a hard time about them. UNLESS they were threatening my home, family or pets. I feel that way about any animal.

So I suppose your fear of pits is the same as mine of the other two breeds. I've never been in a situation where I had to consider rescuing one of those two and I really hope I'm not. I'd probably do it, but I would then be forced to face my fear as they would know it.

kimmiekay98

My experience mainly comes from the vet hosptial where I've worked for the last 2+years. I've seen sweetheart pits / rotties / dobies and mean as hell labs / chows / spaniels. With that being said, I don't think I would ever own a pit or a chow or a dobie. I just personally don't like the breeds, nothing to do with temperment, just dont like the breed. I have been attacked by a st bernard w/o warning (they are supposed to be "good" family dogs). I have seen more chichiuas and terriers need to be muzzled and sedated than any other breed just for an exam! Overall I think a lot of it has to do with the instincts of the dog and how the family nutures or suppresses that instinct. An aggressive dog will always be aggressive, there isn't much you can do about that. You can tame that spirit a bit, but it will always be there.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
:confused: Isn't the Marine Corp mascot a bulldog?

bulldogs and/or Pitbulls. the Offical mascot is Chesty the Bulldog which was established in 1983. Chesty was one of his dogs and so was Jiggs, Monique, and all the others from 1960 to 1999 when he retired. His "OFFICIAL" dog for his regimin was the pit bull. this is because Marines go in for thei fight and never give up - aka - like a pitbull.

Last edited:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I just wanted to post a picture of our attacking pit bull in action.....

Scary I know

Attachments

• 0121081841.jpg
    0121081841.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 89
I just wanted to post a picture of our attacking pit bull in action.....

Scary I know

I am on the fence with these dogs - BUT after being exposed to Sux2b44's uncle's dog (I only met one, heard stories about the other ones - I will let her expand on this if she cares to do so) he really is a big baby. At first, he had to get to know me - after that I was fine. Next time we go out to see them, I am sure I will have to be re-introduced to him - after that, it will be OK.

I would expect for someone to get to know my German Shepherd before I let them alone in the same room with her! :lol:

IMO - It really depends on the dog and its background - next followed by the handling... if any of these two are out-of-whack, you will have an out-of-whack dog...

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I am on the fence with these dogs - BUT after being exposed to Sux2b44's uncle's dog (I only met one, heard stories about the other ones - I will let her expand on this if she cares to do so) he really is a big baby. At first, he had to get to know me - after that I was fine. Next time we go out to see them, I am sure I will have to be re-introduced to him - after that, it will be OK.

I would expect for someone to get to know my German Shepherd before I let them alone in the same room with her! :lol:

IMO - It really depends on the dog and its background - next followed by the handling... if any of these two are out-of-whack, you will have an out-of-whack dog...
We just a had a big birthday bash for my father last weekend. And we left the girls outside, because we weren't sure how they would handle that many new people at once. Well people moved outside because they wanted to see the girls, both dogs were happy to see people but were more worried about chasing each around the yard nascar style.

Again until I see her become agressive towards someone or at something even in the smallest way. Then I will become overly worried.