Relocating - Salary

Clem72

It's the federal gvt, of the engineers we recruit from around the country, about half leave within 3 years just as they are becoming useful. The contractor support peeps have an even higher turn over rate, most of them are 6 months or less.

You have the distinction of working at a "headquarters" that's not in a metropolis, so you have high value high income jobs available to people to pull people in who are working their way up the ladder, but you don't have the amenities to keep them once they have the experience to move on.

Same issues with Ft. Riley and 1st ID, or Ft. Huachuca and Netcom/JITC, or Peterson AFB (Northcom) and Schriever AFB (Spacecom).

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It's the federal gvt, of the engineers we recruit from around the country, about half leave within 3 years just as they are becoming useful. The contractor support peeps have an even higher turn over rate, most of them are 6 months or less.
My Mrs. was hired by NAVAIR through a program that gets long term unemployed disabled vets back into doing what they did before. She was out of work 15 years dealing with PTSD and other effects of her service connected injuries. She started out with Fire Scout, then the EA-18 with VX23, involuntarily transferred to Triton, and is now working on the Coast Guard C-27 program. I guess she's an exception to your experience, wants to work until at least full Social Security retirement age, maybe to 70 if the job keeps her well engaged, 27 August was 9 years with NAVAIR.

mitzi

I am an indoor kind a gal, but my husband loves fishing. I am used to crime, we have that here. Savannah has a high rate of crime, so that doesn't scare us. We know it all depends on the area. We like rural, but we want big box stores as well. To not have to grocery shop at WalMart would be a big plus for us! LOL

I honestly don't think the crime is that bad in this county. Certain areas yes, but all in all it's not that bad. Now other areas in other counties not far from here it is BAD. We have big box stores and several different grocery stores. It all depends on what part you live at.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I did see the police talking to a panhandler at the 235/St. Andrews light a week or so ago. With his lights on in the turn lane.
I've seen them (panhandlers) there every day this week, so maybe it was just a 'safety' talk?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I am an indoor kind a gal, but my husband loves fishing. I am used to crime, we have that here. Savannah has a high rate of crime, so that doesn't scare us. We know it all depends on the area. We like rural, but we want big box stores as well. To not have to grocery shop at WalMart would be a big plus for us! LOL

Getting away from pooping in holes and panhandling here may be some ideas for you.

Every SoMD County has its own "bad area", Calvert's doesn't get the press or attention like the ones in St. Mary's or Charles do (mostly because the people don't tend to shoot each other up as often as those in the other two Counties do).

For St. Mary's, because that's the one you asked about, the Lexington Park area is really the problematic one, and is where PAX is located, but get away from there and there are few issues except for domestics and the occasional bar fight. And the usual stupid teenage tricks. Well, there's some low level deer and oyster poaching occurring, too.

South of Lexington Park the County indeed is rural. Not North Dakota, or even North Central Pennsylvania, rural, but it is rural.

You could look near Leonardtown for a house or even across the Thomas Johnson bridge in Calvert to live but that bridge sometimes has almost daily traffic issues. Also, one large sub-division in Calvert called the Ranch Club (among other names, even the residents don't know what to call it) is one of the Calvert areas that sometimes has some negative happenings. Although the most recent outrage was over the guy who killed an alligator someone had released into the community's lake.

If schools are an issue then Calvert is generally considered to have the best ones.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
For St. Mary's, because that's the one you asked about, the Lexington Park area is really the problematic one, and is where PAX is located, but get away from there and there are few issues except for domestics and the occasional bar fight. And the usual stupid teenage tricks. Well, there's some low level deer and oyster poaching occurring, too.

You could look near Leonardtown for a house or even across the Thomas Johnson bridge in Calvert to live but that bridge sometimes has almost daily traffic issues. Also, one large sub-division in Calvert called the Ranch Club (among other names, even the residents don't know what to call it) is one of the Calvert areas that sometimes has some negative happenings. Although the most recent outrage was over the guy who killed an alligator someone had released into the community's lake.
Not all of Lexington Park is bad. The GM Rd area is. My sister lives in Town Creek and it is generally a sleepy area unless the scoff laws come in to cause some trouble.

Hollywood is also nice.

Reactions: rio

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The “take-home” income is 2/3 of that. So $135,000 x 2/3 (take-home) X 1/3 (suggested housing cost) / 12 (monthly) = $2,475 . That should give a decent mortgage of approx $500k house, if one has 20% ($100k) down.
For qualification purposes, loan/mortgage people run with the total income amount number. Not the after tax, or take home amount. They will then take into account for any debt payments one has, such as for a car, and credit cards, to arrive at a maximum loan amount.

UglyBear

If I may ...

For qualification purposes, loan/mortgage people run with the total income amount number. Not the after tax, or take home amount. They will then take into account for any debt payments one has, such as for a car, and credit cards, to arrive at a maximum loan amount.
You are absolutely right, that’s what banks do, and that is totally insane.
Personally, I’m much more conservative, and would never spend more than 1/3 of my take-home on housing. I just like to have a bit of cushion for unexpected expenses, be able to finance a new car, save for a vacation, etc.

With the OP’s original data, salary of $130k, and assuming they got at least some money out of their previous house, they should still be able to afford most properties in this area — not mansions, but a decent house in a decently quiet area with some acreage. With luck even something on the water, or at least not too far.