Relocating - Salary

Clem72

@kristiy One of the things we're good at on here is steering relocators toward good neighborhoods and warning them off bad ones. So when you find some places you like, come on here and tell us what area they're in and we'll give you the skinny.

Doesn't matter where you pick though, someone will have a reason to complain. Ohh nice neighborhood with no crime and average 500k home home price, but one block past the free trash pickup for the city of Leonardtown? Literal hellhole.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Doesn't matter where you pick though, someone will have a reason to complain. Ohh nice neighborhood with no crime and average 500k home home price, but one block past the free trash pickup for the city of Leonardtown? Literal hellhole.
Well… Yeah!

PeoplesElbow

Majority of mine have already stayed over 10 years and a surprising number have been on same project over 20 years.
Interesting, I've known those try to commute from Silver Spring, and even someone that wouldn't move from Deleware that got caught living in the office during the week.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Back in 1998, I thought that I had found my SOMD forever home. You see how that worked out for me.

I ended up in Heard's Estates. Nice big 3/3 house (by my standards) with an attached 2 car garage and finished basement. 7 years old that showed like new when I bought it. Yet some were turned off by the Great Mills location. Not sure why. I knew I didn't want to be crossing the bridge to come to work every day. All the other places I lived before, the bridge was always the traffic choke point. I could walk to the state park and do some small game hunting. I'm sure the neighbors were concerned when me and my son walked out to the hood carrying shotguns. Funny but nobody ever said anything to us.

I'd go a few months at a time where I didn't leave the county. I had everything I needed on a daily basis close by. Not sure why, but I avoided the bridge, so I rarely went to Solomons. That ended when I found out they stocked trout in the pond at Calvert Cliffs. My kids did well in the public schools here. They were a better atmosphere when compared to where I left, Jacksonville, FL.

I shopped at McKays on GMR. I didn't think twice about going down that way at night. Now I've heard it's declined quite a bit. Got veggies at Brubakers. Went up to Charlotte Hall outdoor market. I really didn't need a lot of what they were selling.

Anyway best of luck where ever you land.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Interesting, I've known those try to commute from Silver Spring, and even someone that wouldn't move from Deleware that got caught living in the office during the week.
I currently have some on the team coming down to WOLF from Arlington and Alexandria who commute. Wondering myself when it will burn them out and they either relocate or leave the job.

mitzi

So if you don't live in a 500K home, you're saying you live in a literal hellhole? BTW, Leonardtown isn't a city.

PeoplesElbow

So if you don't live in a 500K home, you're saying you live in a literal hellhole? BTW, Leonardtown isn't a city.
A lot of people think that way, it is a town, incorporated and everything.

A lot of people think if there are any blacks in the neighborhood it's the hood. Our secretary whispered to me "dont you have minorities in your neighborhood?" When she found out where I lived.

rio

I did home health care 30 years ago in some really rough hoods ( SE DC, Palmer Park )and some really nice ones. There were plenty of white folk in the "nice" areas that scared the crap out of me more than when I walked in on a drug deal in Suitland. The drug dealer knew I was there to take care of Gramma and kept me safe. The nice white man... I called the cops on him for beating the crap out of his disabled wife. He figured it out an went after me. It's best to watch you're back everywhere.

jrt_ms1995

... I found out they stocked trout in the pond at Calvert Cliffs.
Like this one ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Erk

Clem72

Mitzi, I know you have trouble keeping up. I started my post saying "it doesn't matter where you live, someone will find a reason to complain". I then gave an example of what most people would consider a very nice place to live, and an example of what unreasonable people would nit-pick about that place. Now take your pedantic bullshit somewhere else.