Shoppers supermarkets being sold

littlelady

God bless the USA
My wife was at the San Souci Shopper's today. She was told they're done in 10 days. She saved about $100 on stuff we normally buy, since they are running at 30% off to clear the store out. Good opportunity to save!

Y’all lucked out! It is like winning the lottery. Nice to get a break, now and then.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Your link is different then what was reported on the news yesterday. McKays isn't taking the one in Waldorf .....that's rumored to be a Harris Teeter's.
All reports I have seen say the same thing.

The Food Partners, LLC advised UNFI on these transactions.

Two Shoppers locations being sold to McKay’s on December 18, 2019:

Shoppers #2375 – Lexington Park

22599 MacArthur Boulevard, California, MD 20619

Shoppers #2349 – Waldorf
1170 Smallwood Drive W, Waldorf, MD 20603

frequentflier

happy to be living
I use to shop at McKays until I started noticing more and more stuff on the shelves that had expired. Finally when I dropped the moldy cheese at customer service and got a funny look I gave up.
The last couple years Woodburns in Solomons was in business, their produce section was horrible and cheeses, milk etc were always expired. It was a shame since they were great and did a good business for so many years.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It surprises me how so many talk bad about McKays. How long has McKays been doing business in St Mary’s county? They have survived many grocery store chains that have come and gone. They have survived many other local small businesses. I like McKays and miss their store on Great Mills Road. It is just too far for me to drive to Leonardtown or Hollywood to support them now. I will support them if they buy Shoppers in San Souci.
I've always liked McKays also. The one in Wildwood always smelled like the fish section, other than that it wasn't bad.

The Boss

All reports I have seen say the same thing.

You might be right , like I said channel 4 DC said something different. They are going to get slammed! No way can they compete with Giant, two Safeways' a MOM's ,Nick's a brand new Aldi's and a soon to open Lidl's and two Food Lions

mitzi

You might be right , like I said channel 4 DC said something different. They are going to get slammed! No way can they compete with Giant, two Safeways' a MOM's ,Nick's a brand new Aldi's and a soon to open Lidl's and two Food Lions

What happened to the one they were going to build in Charlotte Hall?

mitzi

I think you're right.

luvmygdaughters

I like McKays in Leonardtown. Never had a problem with their produce, diary or meats. Their fried chicken is delicious. the only complaint I would have, if asked, is their deli employees are not the fastest in the world. Hubby and I were there the Saturday after Thanksgiving, it took 20 minutes to get a pound of roast beef and a pound of swiss cheese. I mean from the time we placed the order till the time we had the order in our cart. The McKays in Hollywood is not for weekly grocery shopping. I honestly dont understand why they even carry groceries in that store. I think they sell more liquor than food out of that location.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
OP has the wrong date then? They are closing in 2019 not December 18, 2020 ???
Yes, good catch. I just cut and pasted from the FB post. Everything in the store is 30% off and it is a zoo.

Walked in yesterday around 11 to get bananas and donuts. Yes, they have no bananas at all. :( And I wasn't waiting 20 minutes to check out as lines were very long.

calvcopf

Yes, good catch. I just cut and pasted from the FB post. Everything in the store is 30% off and it is a zoo.

Walked in yesterday around 11 to get bananas and donuts. Yes, they have no bananas at all. :( And I wasn't waiting 20 minutes to check out as lines were very long.
Wow, I thought we had another year.. hate to see Shoppers close. Always had better produce than Teeter.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Wow, I thought we had another year.. hate to see Shoppers close. Always had better produce than Teeter.
I've got to disagree with this one. HT has fruit that you can eat that day, Shoppers is a crap shoot on is it going to ripen or rot. (pears and avocados)

calvcopf

I've got to disagree with this one. HT has fruit that you can eat that day, Shoppers is a crap shoot on is it going to ripen or rot. (pears and avocados)
Guess it depends what you are looking for, I'm not a fan of buying old produce.

BernieP

Resident PIA
With Shoppers leaving, one question, who is going to carry chicken feet?
It's the only grocery store I've seen chicken feet and pigs feet.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Really could've sworn I've seen them at HT and once at Weis. I'd seriously ask the meat dept at HT. Sometimes they're prices aren't the greatest, but the customer service in beyond amazing and they're super helpful. They'll order anything for you if they don't stock it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
BJ's has them occassionally, but you have to buy 10 lbs at a time.