Tesla

glhs837

Power with Control
That may have been what I read payload. It was some reviewer getting 400mi from the 300 mi model or something like that.

Ah, here we go. Blogger asked a Ford guy who told him this...... If true, I suspect that 1,000lbs is supposed to represent a four man crew of workers and some power tools like a table saw, chop saw, small compressor, battery charger for common worksite tools. Would make sense if you are pitching this thing a a solid work truck that you expect it to get rated range in normal worksite usage.

and he saw something on the display. Dont know that I believe a thing seen on the prototypes display carry's over. Might, might not, any more than I think the fact that the CT prototypes display of 600

PeoplesElbow

The electric mustang is ugly IMHO, but so are any Tesla's except the model S. It sure did sell good though so far.

glhs837

Power with Control
The electric mustang is ugly IMHO, but so are any Tesla's except the model S. It sure did sell good though so far.

I agree, the S is a great looking car, the 3 and Y, acceptable, but not crazy good looking. CT to me isnt conventionally attractive, but functionally so. Has to look that way. But the E-stang, well, it's lost in a sea of similarly styled small CUVs.

glhs837

Power with Control
Didnt know Munro was tearing into the E-stang.....

Ignore the bit of fun dram at the beginning, after that it standard engineering analysis.

PeoplesElbow

I agree, the S is a great looking car, the 3 and Y, acceptable, but not crazy good looking. CT to me isnt conventionally attractive, but functionally so. Has to look that way. But the E-stang, well, it's lost in a sea of similarly styled small CUVs.
I mostly like the look of the cyber truck. One thing that bothers me is the angled bed sides as I use mine often as a work surface, Honda did this with the first gen Ridgeline.

Clem72

I hope Tesla doesn't trust China, they have shown they are all in to make them fail in favor of their home grown EVs.

I feel like I replied to this before, maybe in another threat. Tesla already open sources their designs. China is free to make a copy, today, and not partner with Tesla whatsoever. So whether it's name recognition (like Apple) or that they simply make a the best product for the best price, no one seems to be able to compete at this time despite already having free access to Tesla's secret sauce.

Clem72

That range is severely understated also, they list the range assuming you are towing.

I would be surprised. I heard it was a 60KW battery, and I know for a fact that no F-150 is more aerodynamic than a model 3, so unless they stay under 45mph or that range includes towing a generator that's plugged into the truck, I don't see it.

I do like that their house charger has an auto-failover (I think they said 9KW) inverter. If the truck is popular enough maybe I could get an electric Escape or Edge with a similar capability in a couple of years.

PeoplesElbow

I would be surprised. I heard it was a 60KW battery, and I know for a fact that no F-150 is more aerodynamic than a model 3, so unless they stay under 45mph or that range includes towing a generator that's plugged into the truck, I don't see it.

I do like that their house charger has an auto-failover (I think they said 9KW) inverter. If the truck is popular enough maybe I could get an electric Escape or Edge with a similar capability in a couple of years.
The batteries are going to be 125 and 170 kWh.

PeoplesElbow

I feel like I replied to this before, maybe in another threat. Tesla already open sources their designs. China is free to make a copy, today, and not partner with Tesla whatsoever. So whether it's name recognition (like Apple) or that they simply make a the best product for the best price, no one seems to be able to compete at this time despite already having free access to Tesla's secret sauce.
I'm not referring to patent infringement, I'd say that's the least of any US companies worries with assets in China.

Clem72

The batteries are going to be 125 and 170 kWh.

Ah, then I agree they may be conservative (as long as you stay under 70). Keep in mind that 125kwh is less than the equivalent of 3.5 gallons of gasoline, so if they are claiming 230 mile range, then they are estimating their vehicle has roughly 65mpg equivalent, which is much less than the ~100 claimed by most electric vehicles. Reasonable for a heavier truck.

PeoplesElbow

Ah, then I agree they may be conservative (as long as you stay under 70). Keep in mind that 125kwh is less than the equivalent of 3.5 gallons of gasoline, so if they are claiming 230 mile range, then they are estimating their vehicle has roughly 65mpg equivalent, which is much less than the ~100 claimed by most electric vehicles. Reasonable for a heavier truck.
Although not a BEV, the Toyota RAV4 PHEV has a bit smaller than a 20kWh battery and claims a battery range of 40 miles. The normal hybrid MPG is about 40, but an ICE only would have a combined MPG of about 25-30. I have a regular Hybrid, its battery pack is only 1.6 KWh.

I am hoping for a PHEV truck with an electric only range of 30-40 miles. Although the Lightning is very tempting for an off the grid cabin with solar capability, portable powerwall.

glhs837

Power with Control
How big is the Gigafactory in Austin? Google Maps just updated the sat imagery. You can see what the completed perimeter will be. This is two huge factories with a center roadway between them, but even the roadway will be roofed and conditioned, making the whole thing 7 million feet under roof. And this is only one building, they have a lot more property bought and being worked. Pull up the link so you can zoom down to vehicle level. And the whole thing is three tall stories tall.

glhs837

Power with Control
I mostly like the look of the cyber truck. One thing that bothers me is the angled bed sides as I use mine often as a work surface, Honda did this with the first gen Ridgeline.

I have to ask how tall are they and how tall are you? Me I'm 68 in tall and from what I see an f-150s bed rail is 56 or 57 in tall. I mean I suppose I could use something shoulder height for a work platform but that seems pretty awkward compared to the tailgate

PeoplesElbow

I have to ask how tall are they and how tall are you? Me I'm 68 in tall and from what I see an f-150s bed rail is 56 or 57 in tall. I mean I suppose I could use something shoulder height for a work platform but that seems pretty awkward compared to the tailgate
I'm 77" tall, I use to put 2xs and a piece of plywood across my ranger's bed all the time and put plants, hardwood that I planed, etc using it as a temporary table/shelf. When I first saw the Ridgeline my only thought was WTF. Now I have a Tacoma with a rigid bed cover that I use, although I dont beat it around like I did with the plywood on the ranger.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm 77" tall, I use to put 2xs and a piece of plywood across my ranger's bed all the time and put plants, hardwood that I planed, etc using it as a temporary table/shelf. When I first saw the Ridgeline my only thought was WTF. Now I have a Tacoma with a rigid bed cover that I use, although I dont beat it around like I did with the plywood on the ranger.
My GMC has slots on each side of the bed that take a 2x. A 2x8 will raise it up enough to clear the wheel wells and you can slide a full 4'x8' in on top of them to create a flat shelf. With the spray-in liner, I get pretty aggressive about tossing stuff in there and not worrying about it.

glhs837

Power with Control

Ah, tall guy, short rails. Yeah, even when I had a Ranger, my short ass didn't use the side rails for work. The full size trucks the CT competes with all have pretty tall rails.

PeoplesElbow

Ah, tall guy, short rails. Yeah, even when I had a Ranger, my short ass didn't use the side rails for work. The full size trucks the CT competes with all have pretty tall rails.
I even backed it up to my house and used it as a scaffold when painting, nice sturdy and free.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
This is what I think will be the biggest challenge to electric cars, among the non engineering geek crowd that is.

A friend in CA posted this yesterday:
Freaking Hybrid car decided it wanted to have problems when it was 109*. I was taking xxx to the mall to get his wallet that he lost but someone turned in and it started giving the errors. Have to be towed now, which I don’t know when that will happen, to CarMax to have it checked out. Ugh!! I guess it could’ve happened when I was taking xxx to Sac for her arm appt tomorrow.

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 93