The Brett Favre Saga

thurley42

HY;FR
This morning, ESPN is reporting that Packers team president Mark Murphy is flying down to Mississippi to ask Brett Favre not to report to their training camp.

I guess they don't want Favre in the mix, vying for the starting quarterback position?

well they have made that clear...they don't want him there because they are afraid he'll divide the team....or seperate 3/4 because I'm sure a lot of those vets want him back....let alone they have to start paying him his 12 mil a year salary.

He's one of the greatest QB's in history and can't walk away from the game...he plays it like the day he started and has fun. If he can still do it, god bless him...I think he can and a lot of other teams do as well. The Packers need to just release him...they are the ones concerned with the drama...but they are afraid because they know he'll more than likely be wearing purple and put a butt whoopin on them this season...

donbarzini

Eff him!!! For the last three years every off-season has gone like this:

Season 1

B.F.: "I might be leaving. Yeah, I might. Yeah, I might go."

G.B.: "Uhhhh, Brett?"

B.F.: "Don't rush me! I'm thinking."

G.B.: "Brett? The draft is getting close."

B.F.: "I said don't rush me!" Is the draft over? You made your picks?
Well I'm coming back. Aren't you happy to see me?".

Season 2

B.F.: "I might be leaving. Yeah, I might. Yeah, I might go."

G.B.: "Uhhhh, Brett?"

B.F.: "Don't rush me! I'm thinking."

G.B.: "Brett? The draft is getting close."

B.F.: "I said don't rush me!" Is the draft over? You made your picks?
Well I'm coming back. Aren't you happy to see me?".

Season 3

B.F.: "I'm tired. I quit."

G.B.: "Thanks for all you've done, and as a tribute, we're gonna saran wrap your locker and not issue it to anyone."

B.F.: "I wanna come back. Aren't you happy again?".

I say you keep him and put his "pay-attention to me" a$$ on the practice squad.

and BTW, Skip Bayless is a moron

Last edited:

Hockey

Red Wings Rule
Don't put him on the practice squad put his can on the bench and let him watch from the sidelines.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Don't put him on the practice squad put his can on the bench and let him watch from the sidelines.

That's not a bad plan! However, I don't think his ego would allow him to go along with that.

As I understood him to say, he was too mentally wrecked after the season was over, and he said he didn't think he could endure, or ever achieve that level of readiness - emotionally - again, and that he'd had enough of it.

2 months later, he's had a change of heart, but is it real?

BuddyLee

Football addict
There's no doubt he's still got it, anyone saying differently need only refer to his team going to the NFC championship game last season.

I don't really care where he plays as long as he plays. He brings entertainment to the industry and at the end of the day that's all we ask for.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
There's no doubt he's still got it, anyone saying differently need only refer to his team going to the NFC championship game last season.

I don't really care where he plays as long as he plays. He brings entertainment to the industry and at the end of the day that's all we ask for.

Yeah, but...........(I know :lmao:), I think he's still got it in him too, however, here's the "but" part - let's say 9 to 10 weeks into the season, whoever he's playing for, it doesn't go well for him: Lack of talented players, injuries, twist of fate, acts of God, whatever, and he can't make it all come together, then what?

Do we start this all over again??

BuddyLee

Football addict
Yeah, but...........(I know :lmao:), I think he's still got it in him too, however, here's the "but" part - let's say 9 to 10 weeks into the season, whoever he's playing for, it doesn't go well for him: Lack of talented players, injuries, twist of fate, acts of God, whatever, and he can't make it all come together, then what?

Do we start this all over again??
The man hasn't missed a game in ages. What would make him quit in week 10?

I think he'll at least keep his commitment for the year.

For me, the situation is 'neat'. It matters not to me whether he plays for the Packers or Vikes. It doesn't matter to me if he's the back-up for half the season, just as long as he gets to play.

I want the most out of a product that I can get. I want to squeeze every last drop out. If the product is good (still productive) then I'm going to buy it. I just want to see the man play.:shrug:

donbarzini

The man hasn't missed a game in ages. What would make him quit in week 10?
I think he'll at least keep his commitment for the year.

For me, the situation is 'neat'. It matters not to me whether he plays for the Packers or Vikes. It doesn't matter to me if he's the back-up for half the season, just as long as he gets to play.

I want the most out of a product that I can get. I want to squeeze every last drop out. If the product is good (still productive) then I'm going to buy it. I just want to see the man play.:shrug:

The same thing that makes him quit and then un-quit every stinking year. That massive ego. That old joke that goes: "Well I've talked enough about me........what do you think of me?", had to have been written for him.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Early reports say the Packers might pay Favre 12 million, if he reports to camp, and 20 million - if he stays away! :lmao:

thurley42

HY;FR
Alot of you are putting this all on Brett..he might be the caus of the drama..but all the Packers have to do is release him..problem solved...right?

All i am saying is that in this situation, Brett desire to play, ego, or whatever you want to call it, has made a fire...and the Packers keep throwing gas on it by refusing to release him while screaming, "Why won't this thing die down?"

If they don't want him to come back and beat them in the regular season start him...otherwise, let him go.

donbarzini

Alot of you are putting this all on Brett..he might be the caus of the drama..but all the Packers have to do is release him..problem solved...right?

All i am saying is that in this situation, Brett desire to play, ego, or whatever you want to call it, has made a fire...and the Packers keep throwing gas on it by refusing to release him while screaming, "Why won't this thing die down?"

If they don't want him to come back and beat them in the regular season start him...otherwise, let him go.

Why should they release him? So he can go to an inter-division rival?

That makes no sense. He is under contract to them and if he wants to play, he will play wherever they trade him to. But nobody is going to give the Packers fair-market value for two reasons. First, they don't want the damn drama associated with him. Second, they know the Packers are damned in a damned-if-they-do/damned-if-they-don't situation. So the crybaby needs to take the extra 8 mill and go the hell away.

thurley42

HY;FR
Why should they release him? So he can go to an inter-division rival?

That makes no sense. He is under contract to them and if he wants to play, he will play wherever they trade him to. But nobody is going to give the Packers fair-market value for two reasons. First, they don't want the damn drama associated with him. Second, they know the Packers are damned in a damned-if-they-do/damned-if-they-don't situation. So the crybaby needs to take the extra 8 mill and go the hell away.

negative... they aren't asking fair market value...they want a first round pic....people don't want to give up a first round pick because he's only gonna be around 2-3 years tops...They are asking that high because they know people won't give it up, and they are trying to make Brett think no one wants him.

They should release him because they aren't going to play him. Give him 12 million to sit on the bench? Ok, but that only hurts their salary cap.

Article on ESPN.com now says they are realizing that they are going to have to deal him and it might be to the Bears or Vikings.

ESPN - Report: Packers consider sending Favre to division rival - NFL

I'm going to laugh my a$$ off when the Bears get him and roll the Packers. I respect them for making a decision and sticking to it....but watch how quick everyone turns on them when Rogers doesn't work out, or gets hurt. It will be hilarious.

DuffMan

negative... they aren't asking fair market value...they want a first round pic....people don't want to give up a first round pick because he's only gonna be around 2-3 years tops...They are asking that high because they know people won't give it up, and they are trying to make Brett think no one wants him.

They should release him because they aren't going to play him. Give him 12 million to sit on the bench? Ok, but that only hurts their salary cap.

Article on ESPN.com now says they are realizing that they are going to have to deal him and it might be to the Bears or Vikings.

ESPN - Report: Packers consider sending Favre to division rival - NFL

I'm going to laugh my a$$ off when the Bears get him and roll the Packers. I respect them for making a decision and sticking to it....but watch how quick everyone turns on them when Rogers doesn't work out, or gets hurt. It will be hilarious.

Brett is the "Iron Man" of football and Rogers has had times when he would be out for weeks with an injury that Brett would play through. I am a Packers fan and I'm kind of split between the two. I think Brett is a great player and with the same team that they had last year what is going to stop the Packers if Brett is in charge. Now Rogers has never played a full game and what will happen if he does go down? Another rookie QB and a lost season. Rogers is the future of the team and he has waited for his time to shine, now the question is does he shine or will he fail? Thats what everyone will look at all season long. Rogers did have a great game against Dallas but Dallas Def. did not throw the kichen sink at Rogers like they did at Brett.

thurley42

HY;FR
Brett is the "Iron Man" of football and Rogers has had times when he would be out for weeks with an injury that Brett would play through. I am a Packers fan and I'm kind of split between the two. I think Brett is a great player and with the same team that they had last year what is going to stop the Packers if Brett is in charge. Now Rogers has never played a full game and what will happen if he does go down? Another rookie QB and a lost season. Rogers is the future of the team and he has waited for his time to shine, now the question is does he shine or will he fail? Thats what everyone will look at all season long. Rogers did have a great game against Dallas but Dallas Def. did not throw the kichen sink at Rogers like they did at Brett.

I doubt Rogers will flop...there might be tons of pressure on him but I think he'll be ok. Brett makes a decent Packers team great, with Rogers a decent Packers team is decent.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
To be fair, it does seem as if Favre is somewhat of a drama mama, but maybe the real culprit is ESPN!

They're the ones dramatizing this whole mess! It seems like every fifteen minutes they've got BREAKING NEWS!! concerning Brett Favre!

Give it a rest for a few days, or a week, and maybe this fiasco will take care of itself??!!

ESPN is getting to be more like a soap opera lately, or so it appears.

Pete

Repete
Why all the hoopla? If the Packers want to start the new blood and Farve wont agree to a trade to a non division team, let Farve come back and be #2 or #3. When he gets tired of standing on the sideline with a clip board he will retire.