Waldorf Town Center

Pandora

Vote Flaherty said:
Ditto's on the above quote. I remember when McDonald's first opened, that was a very, very, big deal back then.
Don't forget Dr. Mudd Elementary, went there starting from 1st grade.
Now I'm 42. Lived on Copley Ave. from '67-'86

I started there in Kindergarten (a few years after you).

I lived on University Drive, diagonally across from another forum member from 1970 to 1977, before our family moved to the western side of Charles.

Dymphna,

I cannot believe you remember all that. There are have been so many changes in that area, it is so hard to keep up.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Pandora said:
I started there in Kindergarten (a few years after you).

I lived on University Drive, diagonally across from another forum member from 1970 to 1977, before our family moved to the western side of Charles.

Dymphna,

I cannot believe you remember all that. There are have been so many changes in that area, it is so hard to keep up.
I'm known for my memory of trivial things. But I lived in Waldorf from 1973 until 1993. My father lived there from 1945 until 1966 and again from 1973 until now. My grandfather lived there from 1903 -1978 and my great-grandfather.... well you get the idea. When things started changing, it was a big deal. So much of it held a small-town atmosphere where everyone knew everyone.... Shoot, I couldn't go into a business as a teenager without having someone saying, "so, how's yo' momma and daddy a-doin'"

I remember the day they opened St. Charles Parkway. We'd watched it being built because we used to pass through the intersection where it hits Rt 5. I remember my mother was happy because it was going to save us going all the way around to Smallwood Dr. at 925, when we went to visit grandma.

Another thing I think is funny, the Safeway, as I said used to be over in the Circuit City building. They moved it to Smallwood, where it is now over by the library. They closed the old one because the town couldn't support both, especially since the Giant had just been built on 301. That assessment proved true when another grocery store tried to take over that building and failed (I can't remember what it was, but it didn't last long).... And where did they just build a new Safeway a little over a year ago?? Right across the street from Circuit City.

Oh, I drove passed the old Stardust site today and made a point of looking. That satelitte photo someone posted is pretty accurate but for the buildings being torn down of course. There's been no construction on either side of that property for 20-30 years at least. The Stardust only occupied 2.76 acres, according to the state tax records, but it is surrounded by 34.8 acres of never developed land that borders the townhouses in Acton Village in the back.

Now, it's been many, many years since I was in Acton Village, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't that area, especially the townhouses, pretty run down and crime-ridden? Not exactly the place I'd want to put upscale businesses. :confused:

Dymphna said:
Another thing I think is funny, the Safeway, as I said used to be over in the Circuit City building. They moved it to Smallwood, where it is now over by the library. They closed the old one because the town couldn't support both, especially since the Giant had just been built on 301. That assessment proved true when another grocery store tried to take over that building and failed (I can't remember what it was, but it didn't last long).... And where did they just build a new Safeway a little over a year ago?? Right across the street from Circuit City.

I can't remember the name of that grocery store either, but wasn't it the one that moved to where Bed Bath and Beyond now is? Did it start with a B and you had the option of bagging your groceries yourself? Oh, that's driving me crazy now trying to remember. :jameo:

camily

Peace
Speedy70 said:
I can't remember the name of that grocery store either, but wasn't it the one that moved to where Bed Bath and Beyond now is? Did it start with a B and you had the option of bagging your groceries yourself? Oh, that's driving me crazy now trying to remember. :jameo:
Basics. YW. :diva:

greyhound

Speedy70 said:

I remember My mom and your mom taking Nanny to Basics to shop and she hated the store.

greyhound said:
I remember My mom and your mom taking Nanny to Basics to shop and she hated the store.

Nanny didn't like anything other than SuperFresh (or what it was before it was SF - A&P). She claimed she knew where everything was at SuperFresh. :lmao:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My favorite memory of Waldorf was Bobs Big Boy. My parents and I used to eat there almost every Friday night after hitting Wheel-O-While, which has now been turned into a furniture store. :frown:

camily

Peace
Chasey_Lane said:
My favorite memory of Waldorf was Bobs Big Boy. My parents and I used to eat there almost every Friday night after hitting Wheel-O-While, which has now been turned into a furniture store. :frown:
I worked there when I was 16. It was my first waitressing job. They had great breakfast buffets. Hot fudge cakes to die for. :yum:

greyhound

Chasey_Lane said:

Anybody remember Geno's? Burger place in Shoppers World, The only place in this area that sold Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Tiki

How about cruising the parking lot!! Not just once but 10 to 15 times. Then heading to the McDonald's.

Does anyone remember the Sear's Surplus store? and the People's Drug store?

greyhound

Tiki said:
How about cruising the parking lot!! Not just once but 10 to 15 times. Then heading to the McDonald's.

Does anyone remember the Sear's Surplus store? and the People's Drug store?

Oh yes...Shoppers World Cruise Night. Driving around and around the shopping center. The Sears Surplus Store was always a mess.

CMC122

Go Braves!
camily said:
I worked there when I was 16. It was my first waitressing job. They had great breakfast buffets. Hot fudge cakes to die for. :yum:
Yes they did and that's all I remember about them :lol: I used to go to the one near 85th Ave and Annapolis Rd in New Carrolton though:yourindahoodnowbaby:

Vote Flaherty

greyhound said:
Anybody remember Geno's? Burger place in Shoppers World, The only place in this area that sold Kentucky Fried Chicken.
They had the best steak-n-cheese anywhere
My very first "real" job was at the Holiday Inn, Maryland Way Resturant, 1978?
Then it was to working with Mrs. Walls of Walls Bakery. Also worked for Ted,
at Ted's Seafood...remember that one?

And every year, my brother and I, looked forward in earnest to the carnival
between the Safeway and A&P stores.

And did you also know, The old Highs store, which is now a mexican food store,
at 5 & 925 used to be Waldorf's movie theater? That all those homes at the entrance to St. Charles were model homes for the development?
That where the St. Charles Shopping Center is, used to be where the St. Charles Sportman's Club used to be?

Ahhh, the really good 'ol days.

Chasey_Lane said:

Bob's Big Boy took over the building that used to be Burger Chef. :yum:

greyhound said:
I forgot about Burger Chef....

I had one of my birthday parties there. I think it was my 8th birthday. Maybe you were there.

I also remember swallowing one of my teeth while eating there. :lol:

greyhound

I remember when the Geno's building became Roy Rogers. I went there for the first time with my Godmother (Speedy's mom). They wore western wear and cowboy hats and said "Howdy Partner" when you walked up to order.

greyhound said:
I remember when the Geno's building became Roy Rogers. I went there for the first time with my Godmother (Speedy's mom). They wore western wear and cowboy hats and said "Howdy Partner" when you walked up to order.

I don't remember Geno's. :bawl:

p.s. Check your email. :razz: