EAST PALESTINE, Ohio (train derail)

3CATSAILOR

I am not sure if many are following this, because I have not seen mainstream media covering it. You can google the various articles but basically a train derailment that ended in an explosion of chemicals that witnesses said burned your eyes 10-15 plus miles away. Some reports are saying fish are floating to the top of the water nearby, dead. NY Post is saying there are reports of animals dying. https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/animals-sick-dying-near-east-palestine-ohio-train-crash/

It is 2022, and you would think more caution would be taken when transporting toxic chemicals. :rolleyes:

Train accidents can be dangerous and potentially lethal. They should have a Switcher engine prior to the actual train to "confirm" the track ahead of the hazardous cargo train is functional. Depending upon the length of the train, weight of the cargo and cars and the breaking power, among possible other factors, it could take a substaintial distance to stop a train. Therefore, a small Switcher ahead of a HCTT is warranted. HCTT, Hazardous Cargo Transport Train. For now, I won't get in to the potential other issues for trains. I'll give you a quick example. - What goes closely by M & T Stadium?

Tech

Train accidents can be dangerous and potentially lethal. They should have a Switcher engine prior to the actual train to "confirm" the track ahead of the hazardous cargo train is functional. Depending upon the length of the train, weight of the cargo and cars and the breaking power, among possible other factors, it could take a substaintial distance to stop a train. Therefore, a small Switcher ahead of a HCTT is warranted. HCTT, Hazardous Cargo Transport Train. For now, I won't get in to the potential other issues for trains. I'll give you a quick example. - What goes closely by M & T Stadium?
Some are saying that it may been a failure of a wheel bearing, not a problem with the tracks.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Some are saying that it may been a failure of a wheel bearing, not a problem with the tracks.
My 2nd great grandfather, Thomas Brady, started out as an oiler for the old New Haven Railroad a little after the Civil War.
He worked his way up to Conductor, retired and had a small grocery store the rest of his life.

Hazardous cargo back then would have been gunpowder.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

'The people want answers!' Furious mayor tears into Ohio rail crash company Norfolk Southern as it runs scared of East Palestine town hall meeting because officials 'were afraid for their safety' - as state now threatens to sue

• A train carrying toxic fuel from Madison, Illinois to Conway, Pennsylvania derailed on February 3 in Ohio, near the town of East Palestine
  • Residents are reporting respiratory infections and rashes and saying their livestock are dying
  • On Wednesday night a town hall was held to try and get answers, but the train operating company, Norfolk Southern, did not show up

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dao tells the group that “assimilation is not just a great thing, it’s a necessary thing. No society can hold together where people have nothing in common, they don’t speak the same language, they don’t practice the same things.” He argues that in other parts of the world, wars have been fought over differences in race, culture, and religion for thousands of years. Yet, Americans have largely avoided these conflicts because of a shared idealism. “I don’t think it’s going to be possible for Americans to survive as a stable functioning society if people don’t, to some degree, say, well here’s what we are commonly going to agree upon.”

Of course, he’s right. Upon hearing this, the dumbest, and most obnoxious, panelist then compares assimilation to “erasure.” Someone might explain to her that having purple hair and blaming everything on “white supremacy” has about as much to do with her ancestral roots as McDonald’s or Marxism.

Then again, talking about “Asian” immigrants as a single group is a bit misleading. Filipinos do not share the same cultural values or history as the Japanese, whose experiences are quite different from that of the Hmong who are not the same as Indians — any more than Jewish culture is the same as Italian culture or German culture or Irish culture. Even within these subgroups there are often deep differences. It’s just another reminder of why the identitarianism of “white” and “black” is so incredibly stupid and destructive.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Officials Remind Residents Of East Palestine To Protect Themselves By Getting Their COVID Booster

EAST PALESTINE, OH — Government officials are warning residents of East Palestine to protect themselves from deadly health risks by making sure they've received the latest COVID booster.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I spotted quite a few comments in related videos where people claim to either be employees, or former-employees, of the railroad. They all indicate that safety has become a joke in lieu of cost cutting demanded by customers. Staff is reduced and the thoroughness of inspections have been downgraded. For example, physical inspections of cars and track have in large part been reduced to visual-only inspections, and with reduced staff.

One commenter claimed that the wreck was the result of a failed bearing on a car axle. He noted that it would typically require a physical inspection to find the fault beforehand. I guess we'll find out for sure in a few years when whatever government agency releases their sanitized official report.

There was another video by a woman who has a horse farm very close to the accident. She said the environmental cleanup company hired by the railroad came by and would only test her property for contamination if she signed a contract waiving any future claims against the railroad and their affiliates. She did not sign, but said that many of her neighbors did. She also said that an EPA truck was sitting on the road not far from the environmental company. So, she asked them if they would test and they said, nope. Now this is real fascism---the government and large corporations are essentially the same thing.

My final thought is regarding these memes I have been seeing saying things like, "where are the environmentalists now?" Really? What do you expect them to do at this point? The damage is done. This is a failure caused by greed and corruption. Same for blaming Biden because the infrastructure is failing apart. The infrastructure has been falling apart for 50 years. Corporations don't want to invest the money because the investor class has taken over and all they care about is profits in their pocket. Same for government. Building infrastructure isn't sexy to the voters and politicians are paid to put profits into the pockets of their masters on Wall Street and in the Industrial-Military Complex.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I spotted quite a few comments in related videos where people claim to either be employees, or former-employees, of the railroad. They all indicate that safety has become a joke in lieu of cost cutting demanded by shareholders. Staff is reduced and the thoroughness of inspections have been downgraded. For example, physical inspections of cars and track have in large part been reduced to visual-only inspections, and with reduced staff.
FIFY

Horrific for them. I watched a video of a young mother with an 8 month old infant who paid for an independent air quality test. They tested the air throughout the house and said all levels were safe. Then they heard a train coming and she asked them to test again after the train had passed. The numbers were off the chart and extremely unsafe. She said approximately 100 trains pass a day. She had not choice but to grab her baby and leave.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
politicians are paid to put profits into the pockets of their masters on Wall Street and in the Industrial-Military Complex.
Dang it. 36 years we've been building stuff for the US Navy and we're still always almost broke. Must be doing it wrong.

Clem72

Dang it. 36 years we've been building stuff for the US Navy and we're still always almost broke. Must be doing it wrong.
I thought you worked for Scandinavian hippies or somesuch? And we all know who they are talking about when they mention big money defense contractors. It's the guys that "own" the platform or product, who write the SOW then hand it to the government to pretend they came up with it, who low-ball bids then run contracts out for years and years with dozens or hundreds of change orders for just a couple hundred thousand a pop.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I thought you worked for Scandinavian hippies or somesuch?
And thank goodness for them too...or we woulda starved by now. That said..we've done a lot of work for the Norwegian and Swedish navies too; not just commercial customers.

When I first started in this funny boat business, our work was about 80-90% US Navy.

GregV814

Michael Regan, the "straight" EPA Official was Johnny on the spot today!!! He told people if the EPA and or State told them their water was okay, it was okay. If not, maybe they could use bottled water!!! He's a smarty alright and he was wearing his own men's clothing!! Oh, we was picked from a number of cabinet post appointees because he came from a HBU in North Carolina.

psst: remember Sam Brinton?

"TRUST THE GOVERNMENT" was the theme.

Tally sheet of other great appointments:
B.J. Harris
Sam Brinton
Pete "Pete" Buttigeg
Billy Nolen
KJP
Ketanji Brown to name a few.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Norfolk Southern Says they “Accidentally” Asked East Palestine Residents to Sign Legal Waivers as Condition of Contamination Tests​

February 16, 2023 | Sundance | 148 Comments

When Ohio Senator JD Vance was briefing the press earlier today, he was asked about East Palestine residents being required to sign indemnity waivers, releasing Norfolk Southern Railway from legal liability, as a requirement of having their water/air tests conducted on their property.

Senator Vance said he talked to a resident about it, then reviewed the contract and confirmed the indemnity demand. Vance then immediately called Norfolk Southern Railroad officials and asked them about it. According to Vance, the response from Norfolk Southern Railway was that the liability waiver was accidentally presented. WATCH (@24:54 Prompted):

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ohio town rues chemical train derailment as 'our Chernobyl'

For East Palestine residents John and Lisa Hamner, life as they knew it came to a screeching, flaming halt at 8:55 pm on 3 February.
It was that day that a toxin-laden train derailed just metres from their successful garbage truck business, which they had grown from five customers to more than 7,000 over an 18-year period in and around this close-knit Ohio town.
"It's totally wrecked our life," he told the BBC, choking back tears in the parking lot of his business, where the stench of chemicals and sulphur from the derailment remains powerful.
"I'm at the point now where I want out of here," he added. "We're going to relocate. We can't do it no more."
Mr Hamner's eyes are red and swollen, which he credits to the lingering physical impact of the chemicals spilled in East Palestine.