For who ever gets food stamps

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I wasn't aware you could get cash back from a FS card.

Yes, you definitely can. I'm sure there is a predetermined limit for each case, but I've seen them exercise the 'cash back' option several times.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
I wasn't aware you could get cash back from a FS card. I thought the reason for that was so that you can't sell your food stamps for drugs or something?
You get change back... You pay for you food in $20 allotments and try to get the bill as close to $19.01 as possible. Then you get 99 cents back. If you buy 100 bucks worth of groceries this way, you'll get back just about $5.00 in change. That'll cover the cigs and a lotto ticket. I shop at Safeway in St. Charles and see this all the time.

Good points Pete...

Tigger - give up the ciggs. You won't find any sympathy here for smoking while you are on pregnant.

However, give Tigger the benefit of the doubt until after your guy’s lunch on Wednesday, you may be surprised or it may be I told ya so. I wished I worked in St. Mary's so I could go myself. Another day and we’ll all have the answers we’re looking for.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by BullDawg
You get change back... You pay for you food in $20 allotments and try to get the bill as close to $19.01 as possible. Then you get 99 cents back. If you buy 100 bucks worth of groceries this way, you'll get back just about $5.00 in change. That'll cover the cigs and a lotto ticket. I shop at Safeway in St. Charles and see this all the time.

I'm not talking cash back like that. I'm talking about having an actual spending allowance on your wefare card.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by crabcake
all comes from the same place
No, it doesn't. It's like saying that someone who wrecks their car is taking welfare if they file a claim.

Think about your health insurance. You (or your company) pay out thousands of $$$ a year for coverage. Most of us will never recoup that money. Serious - tot up how much you might have spent on health care over the last year, then figure out how much you paid in premiums.

The money you paid goes to someone else who is seriously injured or maybe even terminally ill. Or taking expensive medication. THEY get the zillions, not you.

Think about your car insurance and how much you've paid in premiums over the years. Now figure what you've claimed from it. Most of us will never get that money back, either.

It's the same with Social Security. The reason it's in trouble is because we're living longer and our population is aging, not because people abuse it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by PFgal
I'm not talking cash back like that. I'm talking about having an actual spending allowance on your wefare card.
Okay, I gotcha. So, like, instead of getting a check and being able to cash it, they get a card so the government can track how they're using the money?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
No, it doesn't. It's like saying that someone who wrecks their car is taking welfare if they file a claim.

I meant tax-wise ... taxes fund welfare ... taxes fund medicare ... you pay taxes ... I pay taxes ... granted, you and I may never see that money or need those services, but all those "benefits" are coming from our taxes.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Okay, I gotcha. So, like, instead of getting a check and being able to cash it, they get a card so the government can track how they're using the money?

I'm not sure, I mean - I don't think they can cash in the whole independence card amount, ya know. But they probably know whatever amount they get per month for cash, and can withdraw it at stores when making a purchase. That's what I saw in the FL a zillion times. The cashier would say, "Cash back?" and the person would say, "$20" or whatever amount.

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by penncam
:frown: Has anyone noticed the lack of posts on this thread from the initial posters?
Maybe they've gone to a friendlier FS forum site?
:duh: Maybe some of 'em decided to get their rest so they could get up bright & early and get to work.
Originally posted by penncam
Like a never-ending cycle, it repeats itself; from generation to generation. :barf:
Not always; I'm living proof.

So I crowed in support of Tigg, because I have gotten so much sh!t as a former welfare recipient. Pete reamed me for it. Good for him.

Listen up, folks: There are people who will never let me off the hook, even though I was in genuine need, even though my claim was legitimate, and even though I got myself off the instant I earned enough not to need the dole anymore. My sister did the same thing, and she is a single ###-###### mother!

Welfare dependency is a cycle in many lives. Look at all the energy that's expended here by people who are really and truly pizzed off about it. Imagine what could be done to break that cycle nationwide if half of this angry energy were directed toward trying to figure out a way to break the cycle. Recent welfare reforms don't seem to be enough--or perhaps this community has just dogpiled on a microcosm of the problem because it's convenient.

The fact is that some Americans who grew up on welfare break the pattern they might naturally have repeated. It's also a fact that not everyone is capable of doing so in the same manner.

I wish I could explain what it was that made my sisters & me pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. If we could explain it, maybe we could change the world.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by crabcake
I meant tax-wise ... taxes fund welfare ... taxes fund medicare ... you pay taxes ... I pay taxes ... granted, you and I may never see that money or need those services, but all those "benefits" are coming from our taxes.
And the person who gets in a car wreck and is on life support is doing that on your dime, too. So is the person who gets cancer and needs expensive treatment. So is the old lady who takes expensive medication.

SS and Medicare are not considered "taxes" - it's insurance. Look at your pay stub. They took your premiums out of your check and your employer matched it. Supposedly you'll start getting it back when you retire.

crabcake

SS and Medicare are not considered "taxes" - it's insurance.

I gotcha ... yes, it's called "insurance" ... but it's still coming from the same place ... I just lump all that stuff together into the "taxes" category. Pardon my mis-labeling of it. It's still coming out of our paychecks though.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
Imagine what could be done to break that cycle nationwide if half of this angry energy were directed toward trying to figure out a way to break the cycle.

Birth Control is not the answer :shrug:

Elle

Happy Camper!
And the person who gets in a car wreck and is on life support is doing that on your dime, too. So is the person who gets cancer and needs expensive treatment. So is the old lady who takes expensive medication.

Cancer is genetic so I guess being lazy and not getting off your azz is genetic too, I see the correlation.

I'm not against those that need assistance but those that can afford what I can not are not in need of assistance.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
###-######
I'd love to know what that stands for. :lol:

Bertha, you used welfare for what it was intended for - to give you a boost while you tried to get on your feet. My mother did the same thing - took welfare while she went to school so she could feed me while she got an education.

It sounds like Tigger is using SSDI for what it was intended for, too.

I used to live in a townhouse development that had a lot of HUD mothers. You wanna see a welfare cheat, take a look at some of those babes.

DID YOU KNOW that low-level military enlisted personnel qualify for some form of welfare? We got WIC when my ex was in the Army and my son was born. How messed up is that?

crabcake

DID YOU KNOW that low-level military enlisted personnel qualify for some form of welfare? We got WIC when my ex was in the Army and my son was born. How messed up is that?

I have seen a lot of those cases too when I was in, and it is sad. However, at the same time, it's hard to feel 'sad' for 'em when they keep popping more of 'em out. :shrug: One or two, fine, but I saw a few who had 5 kids and wondered why they were broke when mom didn't work and dad was only an E-4. :ohwell:

Birth control IS the answer, I think. And I think as long as you are on public assistance, you should be on Birth Control. Like someone else said ... no shot, no check. Of course, you'll have cases where someone will say they can't do depo ... there are other forms, but there has to be some sort of control to know it's being taken (i.e., the pill).

Elle

Happy Camper!

As long as you are working and trying, I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless you are beefing the military but I could go on forever about my dislike for some of their ways.

Bertha Venation

I'd love to know what that stands for. :lol:
Heat of the moment.... I really need to clean up my act. I walk into a bar, ten minutes later sailors run out, screaming.
Completely messed up. It's outrageous that our military people don't earn a living wage.

(And don't get me started on welfare cheats.... like I said, if I knew how I bootstrapped, given the sorry-ass example I had... )