Local So Md Heating oil prices...website?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Now just for clarity sake...Diesel should NOT go into a heating oil tank. However, Kerosene MAY be used...
Someone with some insights...please add your 2 cents!
"Heating oil and dyed diesel are now considered to be the same product in the state of Maryland. Both heating oil and dyed diesel are dyed fuels and require <15ppm sulfur content in the state of Maryland." found on Google

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"Heating oil and dyed diesel are now considered to be the same product in the state of Maryland. Both heating oil and dyed diesel are dyed fuels and require <15ppm sulfur content in the state of Maryland." found on Google
Plus this:

Is heating oil the same as diesel?

Diesel fuel used in diesel-powered vehicles and other engines is basically No. 2 home heating oil. The only difference is that home heating oil has a dye added to it that distinguishes it from untaxed or lower-taxed fuels. The higher-taxed diesel fuels are used for over-the-road vehicles.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Why on earth not? Been running diesel for heating oil and heating oil for diesel fuel for my whole life.
and by stopping by to pick up 10 gallons at a time to add to my oil tank I am saving money. If I buy 100 gallons this way I will save $60 to $70 WaaHoo although it is time consuming. I had 100 gallons delivered a couple months ago but right now $4.09 is a better price than $4.79 .

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
and by stopping by to pick up 10 gallons at a time to add to my oil tank I am saving money. If I buy 100 gallons this way I will save $60 to $70 WaaHoo although it is time consuming. I had 100 gallons delivered a couple months ago but right now $4.09 is a better price than $4.79 .
We use the 65-gallon auxiliary tank on the back of wife's F-450 tow rig to haul the cheaper diesel to put in our heating oil tanks. The savings is definitely worth the trouble.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Why on earth not? Been running diesel for heating oil and heating oil for diesel fuel for my whole life.
My dad was an oil burner technician much of his working life as was his dad.
They both referred to diesel as #2 heating oil.

TPD

the poor dad
I was shocked to see the price drop of diesel fuel this morning when I went to the city. Now less than a $1 difference between gas and diesel, vs $2 just a few months ago. Pa is still about $5 per gallon for diesel tho, and some of the mom n pop stations in Maryland have not caught up to the huge price drop, still reflecting $4.59-$4.69.

PeoplesElbow

I was shocked to see the price drop of diesel fuel this morning when I went to the city. Now less than a $1 difference between gas and diesel, vs $2 just a few months ago. Pa is still about $5 per gallon for diesel tho, and some of the mom n pop stations in Maryland have not caught up to the huge price drop, still reflecting $4.59-$4.69.
Any idea why?

Thank Joe Biden :killingme

Hessian

Hmmm..learn something new every day. I apparently thought that the blend may be compatible in a pinch...but was told it was unwise to run it continually with diesel. I wonder if that was an intentional misdirection from fuel companies several years ago...

Hessian

Good point....again,...passing along experience like this may help someone who has some financial burdens!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
. I wonder if that was an intentional misdirection from fuel companies several years ago...
I wouldn't be surprised..because I've never seen a coherent explanation for why offroad diesel is always cheaper than No 2 heating oil....even though they are the same product.

GregV814

Ya know, with the price of bacon, eggs and heating oil, natural gas and a living wage of $15.00 and hour, I may have to fire my maid. But her kids mow the lawn and they give me their Government sustenance checks.

ahhhhhh.png

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I wouldn't be surprised..because I've never seen a coherent explanation for why offroad diesel is always cheaper than No 2 heating oil....even though they are the same product.

Because the home heating oil delivery companies add a profit margin to the oil they buy before they deliver it to you, in addition to delivery charges. Theys got overhead dunchano? When bought at a gas station, off-road diesel, you are doing the pickup and delivery yourself, hence the price is cheaper. As well as the markup is less.

A bit of information regarding diesel. On-road diesel, is also known as clear diesel ~ taxed. Off-road diesel, and home heating oil, is dyed red ~ not taxed. Which is why if a trucker gets pulled over for a safety check, and it is found with red dyed diesel in its tanks ..... there is hell to pay.

The dyed fuel enforcement program was launched in 1994 by the government of the United States. It is run by IRS. Whether it is Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, or other states, the fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double. After the first violation, each repeated one will increase a penalty by $1,000 compared to previous violation, so the total amount of penalty depends on the number of violations. Alaska is the only state having special regulations about dyed diesel, which allow to avoid the fine in some cases.

In addition: The red dye will be detectable in your tank for up to six fills before it is so diluted that it cannot be seen. Depending on how low you let the tank get, it could be less.

BTW. Road taxes for clear diesel is 48.7 cents per gallon in Maryland.

Hope I cleared that up for ya? : )

1stGenSMIB

I hump E-Zero to the boat to save money. It keeps me busy after work, and when marinas were $6/gal, I was saving a LOT of money. I have enough jerry cans I can carry 52 gals per load (I have two old school 6 gal jugs). The local E-Zero pumps are just above $4/gal presently.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I hump E-Zero to the boat to save money. It keeps me busy after work, and when marinas were $6/gal, I was saving a LOT of money. I have enough jerry cans I can carry 52 gals per load (I have two old school 6 gal jugs). The local E-Zero pumps are just above $4/gal presently.
You're probably saving yourself lots of money in the long run repair bills. Ethanol fuel is crap for boats and small engines used on lawn equipment.