Poll: Has anything said on these boards....

Has anything said on somd.com influenced your vote

• Yes

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 72.1%

• Total voters

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

And of course cutting entitlements, foreign aid and other pork never occured to you morons. :smack:

Tell ya what. Why don't you just fork over 60% of your salary voluntarily. Then you can say you did more than your part. :duh:

A good leader would do more than one thing to reduce debt.
Taxes are just one way.
:smile:
I know that must be hard for you to comprehend though :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ditto...

Yep. I had written McCain off and planned on voting for Bob Barr. Thought I was solid.

Then McCain chose Sarah Palin as his running mate, and I started rethinking my decision. It was solidified by all of Nonno, Forestal, etc's, posts busting on her unfairly, and pointing to leftwing crazy crap about her children and her life. So now I'm determined that I will vote AGAINST their candidate, Barack Obama, because he must be a really bad man if these nutties are in love with him.

...that, but I am voting FOR Palin and it's because a bunch of people whose opinion I respect wrote about her months ago.

I never vote against anyone. I was voting for Paul until Sarah made me smile.

Xaquin44

I voted 'no', and would like to add that just because stupid chain e-mails make it onto a forum doesn't change the fact that they're still stupid chain e-mails.

PsyOps

Pixelated
BuddyLee convinced me that the Redskins may not be as bad of a losing team as I thought... but they are still a losing team.

Is that what we're talking about? Wrong board? :doh:

BuddyLee

Football addict
BuddyLee convinced me that the Redskins may not be as bad of a losing team as I thought... but they are still a losing team.

Is that what we're talking about? Wrong board? :doh:
Ah, but they're not a losing team...yet.

.500 baby!:lmao:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Be more specific, please.
You never know, this information could sway me (or other readers). :shrug:
Alright...deep breath.

Abortion

I agree with Obama. Pro-choicer. Pro-death all the way for me.:yay:

Death Penalty

I agree with McCain. Same as above.

Education

Push. Both have a lot of promises that they'll never meet.

Gay Marriage

I agree with both, perhaps Obama by a sliver. Gay's should be able to join in at least a union in my book.

Global Warming

I agree with McCain here. Drill! Go for more Nuclear energy. Obama's plan will not work and will cost the taxpayers...again. That auction will never work.

Obama: Ten-year, $150 billion program to produce "climate friendly" energy supplies that he'd pay for with a carbon auction requiring businesses to bid competitively for the right to pollute. Joined McCain in sponsoring earlier legislation that would set mandatory caps on greenhouse gas emissions. Supports tougher fuel efficiency standards.

Gun Control

McCain.

Health Care

Definitely McCain. I don't want the government in my business. Plus, more money in your pocket.

McCain: $2,500 refundable tax credit for individuals, $5,000 for families, to make health insurance more affordable. No mandate for universal coverage. In gaining the tax credit, workers could not deduct the portion of their workplace health insurance paid by their employers.

Obama: Mandatory coverage for children, no mandate for adults. Aim for universal coverage by requiring employers to share costs of insuring workers and by offering coverage similar to that in plan for federal employees. Says package would cost up to $65 billion a year after unspecified savings from making system more efficient. Raise taxes on wealthier families to pay the cost.

So, if you're poor and cannot afford coverage you're penalized. Vicious circle?

Want to keep businesses at home, let them make money and help America prosper. American businesses cannot prosper if they MUST pay for this coverage for everyone.

Guess who's paying for that. You are.

Why should the wealthier families be penalized even more than they are now? You think you pay high taxes on your paycheck now? The wealthy pay an even higher percentage. The wealthy are just that for a reason, they're not dumb. If they're getting taxed that much more in this country they'll just send their money and business elsewhere. It's that simple.

Immigration

McCain supports a stronger policy.:yay:

Iran

McCain: Favors tougher sanctions, opposes direct high-level talks with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Good. This guy doesn't deserve any high-level discourse.

Obama: Initially said he would meet Ahmadinejad without preconditions, now says he's not sure "Ahmadinejad is the right person to meet with right now." But says direct diplomacy with Iranian leaders would give U.S. more credibility to press for tougher international sanctions.
So, which is it? This is another reason I'm not leaning for Obama, the uncertainty of it all. I don't even think he knows yet.

That might be alright with the Saudis but not with the Iranians and the like. Obama won't be assassinated in the United States but abroad if he attempts this.

Iraq

McCain: Opposes scheduling a troop withdrawal, saying latest strategy is succeeding. Supported decision to go to war, but was early critic of the manner in which administration prosecuted it. Key backer of the troop increase. Willing to have permanent U.S. peacekeeping forces in Iraq.
That's the way it should be, stay the course and don't back down from your obligations and responsibilities. He didn't like the way the war was handled so he wasn't totally gung-ho about the effort at first.

Obama: Spoke against war at start, opposed troop increase. Now says his plan would complete withdrawal of combat troops by end of 2009, four months sooner than his previous commitment. Before that, had said a timetable for completing withdrawal would be irresponsible without knowing what facts he'd face in office.
Again with the unknown. Is he getting the troops out by 2009...months later than that like he said previously...or will he wait until he has ambiguous 'facts' when he lands in office. At least with McCain I know what I'm getting.

Social Security

We should only need social security for the handicapped, disabled and for children who have lost a parent. Older people these days need to become more wiser with their money. You should never rely on a government (even the U.S. government) for your egg-nest.

McCain: Would consider "almost anything" as part of a compromise to save Social Security, yet rules out higher payroll taxes for now.
Glad to hear that.

Thank God for that. I am a fiscal conservative. I want my money in my pockets. Nobody else earns it but me.

Obama would of course raise taxes.

Stem Cell Research

Push. They both have the same policy basically.

Taxes

McCain: "No new taxes" if elected. Twice opposed Bush's tax cuts, at first because he said they were tilted to the wealthiest and again because of the unknown costs of Iraq war. Now says those tax cuts, expiring in 2010, should be permanent. Proposes cutting corporate tax rate to 25 percent. Promises balance budget in first term, says that is unlikely in his first year.
No new taxes! Woo hoo!

Obama: Raise income taxes on wealthiest and their capital gains and dividends taxes. Raise corporate taxes. $80 billion in tax breaks mainly for poor workers and elderly, including tripling Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credit for larger families. Eliminate tax-filing requirement for older workers making under $50,000. A mortgage-interest credit could be used by lower-income homeowners who do not take the mortgage interest deduction because they do not itemize their taxes.
Sounds like the same ole' record played every election cycle. Raise taxes on the rich! Give it to the poor and middle class! Yet, that never happens when elected. The middle-class makes up most of the pie and they'll be paying the most taxes.

Where they stand: Obama, McCain on the issues - Boston.com

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
So Pcjohnny, as you get older you'll come to find out which issues mean more to you. At your age you're just starting to develop somewhat solid opinions on all the issues. Some of those opinions you'll stick with because they are a part of you and your internal belief system. However, you should be open to changing other opinons.

When I first landed here I was a liberal kid just entering college. I chanted the "Bush 04 screw the poor!" slogan and watched Bill Maher like it was gospil. Though, after doing some research over the years, talking with other people of a variety of ages and acutally being affected by some experiences I have changed my views and beliefs. I once thought it was the cool thing to do to be the contrarian but I knew deep down that I merely liked to debate and that I really didn't believe in some of the arguments I was preaching. That was alright though because I grew from that, sometimes the hard way. As you get older you'll come to see that your views and beliefs are more clear. Right now, you're still trying to find out who the heck you are. I can speak to that myself because I am not so far removed from that. In fact, I still have a lifetime more to learn about myself and others.

Obama is just not for me. He preaches of 'change' but I don't really know what he's talking about. So, if you're willing to roll the dice on an unknown cool guy then go for it.:yay: This will be your first major election, don't regret it bro.:yay:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Do you realize how much this war, for example, is costing us?

Here is a little information you may want to ingest before you get your hammer and sickle tattoo.
WHAT COSTS MORE PER YEAR THAN THE IRAQ WAR!

I hope the following 14 reasons are forwarded over and over again until they are read so many times that the reader gets sick of reading them. I have included the URL's for verification of the following facts: This should be the major issue in this years Presidential election, not the Iraq war.

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year. FAIR: Immigration and Welfare

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens. Center for Immigration Studies

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens. Center for Immigration Studies

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English! http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.0.html

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies. CNN.com - Transcripts

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens. CNN.com - Transcripts

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens. CNN.com - Transcripts

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare and Social Services by the American taxpayers. http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt.01.html

9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens. CNN.com - Transcripts

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two-and-a-half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US. CNN.com - Transcripts

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border. Homeland Security Report. http://tinyurl.com/t9sht

12. The National Policy Institute, "estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period." http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/pdf/deportation.pdf

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin. Wooldridge - How Much Further Into This Nightmare?

14. "The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States". http://www.drdsk.com/articleshtml

Total cost is a whooping... $338.3 BILLION A YEAR!!!

If this doesn't bother you then just delete the message, but on the other hand, if it does raise the hair on the back of your neck, then forward it.

Snopes is provided for doubters:

snopes.com: Bank of America Credit Cards for Illegals

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Here is a little information you may want to ingest before you get your hammer and sickle tattoo.
WHAT COSTS MORE PER YEAR THAN THE IRAQ WAR!

Total cost is a whooping... $338.3 BILLION A YEAR!!!

You're actually using a chain email as an example of facts? :lmao:
Do tell...how exactly is it determined how much is spent on illegals if they are flying under the radar? If they are using another identity, it doesn't quite just "show up" that they're illegal when they go to do things, like get hospital care. :duh:
I'm not buying that one.

BuddyL. You've got some valid points, but one note I wanted to make, I find it very comical when folks such as yourself would rather hear a "definite" plan now instead of waiting until the candidate is in office and has all of the "behind the scenes" facts :shrug:. I'd personally rather take a chance on someone who says he's going to wait and see exactly what is going on, instead of saying something to appease the people before actually seeing what is going on that the general public isn't priviledged to. I'd rather have a leader that is willing to see what is going on to see if it is possible to withdraw troops soon (next couple years), or not.

also, don't assume because you were still finding your way at my age, that I am not more developed in my opinions on religion, politics, etc. Not saying I am, but don't assume :shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
BuddyL. You've got some valid points, but one note I wanted to make, I find it very comical when folks such as yourself would rather hear a "definite" plan now instead of waiting until the candidate is in office and has all of the "behind the scenes" facts :shrug:.
If they want my vote I want solid answers and not ambiguous ones. I don't know what I'm getting with Obama and neither do you. I want a definite plan. Both are United States Senators and are privy to most of the information you speak of anyway. If he can't even come up with a plan now, that's saying something. If he's waiting for 'facts' to make his plan, I think that's a cop-out.

pcjohnnyb said:
I'd personally rather take a chance on someone who says he's going to wait and see exactly what is going on, instead of saying something to appease the people before actually seeing what is going on that the general public isn't priviledged to. I'd rather have a leader that is willing to see what is going on to see if it is possible to withdraw troops soon (next couple years), or not.
He should have a plan if he is going to be in office. It's not about appeasing the public, that is what they deserve! I want a leader who has a plan now and also looks at the facts while in office.

also, don't assume because you were still finding your way at my age, that I am not more developed in my opinions on religion, politics, etc. Not saying I am, but don't assume :shrug:
I don't have to assume. You confirm that in most of your posts.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Buddy Lee said:
I once thought it was the cool thing to do to be the contrarian but I knew deep down that I merely liked to debate and that I really didn't believe in some of the arguments I was preaching.

Johnny, really think about this long-winded sentence. It might mean something to you in a few years.