Smoking Ban in MD

How do you feel about the Smoking Ban?

• Unaffected

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • About time. Get those filthy smokers outside

Votes: 49 50.0%
  • I hate it! You have no right to tell me.

Votes: 31 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
CO2 levels...

bwhahahahaha, talking aout facts....
you dont have any facts to support your argument. if you do please show them.......

...in nature; 300-500 ppm. .03% or so

Human exhaled breath; 4.5%
Dangerous level; 5%

It is dangerous to you health, long term, to sit in a bar with other humans if viewed by the same dynamics as the second hand smoke foppery.

tommyjones

Can't prove a negative. :bonk:

Name one person whose COD was ever listed as second hand smoke.

there are plenty of studies that indicate children of people who smoke inside the home are MUCH MORE LIKELY to have respiratory problems.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
name one scientist who says that second hand smoke is good for you

I asked you to prove a claim. That second hand smoke is deadly.

Please do or give it up.

Anyone "stating" something is not conclusive. "Evidence" is conclusive.

Please provide just one, (1), instance of cause of death being second-hand smoke.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
'm not pissed that you don't exhibit symptoms (yet). I don't care if you slowly kill yourself.

Sounds like you have a weird interest in my health. Keeping in mind that I'm a complete stranger and my health is none of your concern.

Do you have children? If not, you should consider getting some.

:popcorn:

This_person

Can't prove a negative. :bonk:

Name one person whose COD was ever listed as second hand smoke.
Surgeon General said:
Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking (Also Known as Exposure to Secondhand Smoke or Environmental Tobacco Smoke - ETS) (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1992)
Key findings:

In adults:

ETS is a human lung carcinogen, responsible for approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths annually in U.S. nonsmokers. ETS has been classified as a Group A carcinogen under EPA's carcinogen assessment guidelines. This classification is reserved for those compounds or mixtures which have been shown to cause cancer in humans, based on studies in human populations.
See also this

That being said, there's a concentration that makes this a problem. MMDad had said it best when he said find the concentration, require sufficient ventilation to lower below that concentration, and this would be done and over with.

Plus, I think this was touted as a protection for workers in bars/restaraunts, not patrons. Longer term exposure. Which, again, means: lower the concentration through sufficient ventilation.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

i quoted the context, you can deny the meaning all you want.....

In my world there is a concept known as resistance. When I don't apply the proper amount of pesticide or fungicide at the proper time and conditions, bugs develop resistance. Bugs will survive and pass on survivability over chemicals that would have nearly killed them had I done my job correctly.

Compare that to cigarettes which have NEVER killed anyone as properly used. They will wear your body out sooner than otherwise. They will likely lead you to lung and heart disease, bad skin, bad hair, bad breathe and other problems, but, the exposure levels are such that what all of this boils down to is government intervention over something that is annoying, but pretty much harmless, to people.

You sit in a room where 50 people release pesticides on you repeatedly for 2 hours and I'll sit a smoke filled bar.

You are saying that is the same and I say you are wrong. Clearly so.
You took my comment out of context.

tommyjones

I asked you to prove a claim. That second hand smoke is deadly.

Please do or give it up.

Anyone "stating" something is not conclusive. "Evidence" is conclusive.

Please provide just one, (1), instance of cause of death being second-hand smoke.

as soon as you can provide one scientist who says that second hand smoke is good for you i will....

you are on the ignorant side of the argument here, not me. Logic is definately on my side.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
there are plenty of studies that indicate children of whiny-##### ####### are MUCH MORE LIKELY to have emotional problems.

Indications are not proof but you might have something there. It's worth further study.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
as soon as you can provide one scientist who says that second hand smoke is good for you i will....

you are on the ignorant side of the argument here, not me. Logic is definately on my side.
What logic?

You make a claim you can't backup.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If...

See also this

That being said, there's a concentration that makes this a problem. MMDad had said it best when he said find the concentration, require sufficient ventilation to lower below that concentration, and this would be done and over with.

Plus, I think this was touted as a protection for workers in bars/restaraunts, not patrons. Longer term exposure. Which, again, means: lower the concentration through sufficient ventilation.

...you recall, about 20 years ago, Maryland anti smoke crusaders got laws passed that made bars and restaurants do exactly that' segregate smoking sections AND install air change systems.

Not good enough said the Crusaders! We're off to Jerusalem and we won't stop until it is ours!

This_person

...you recall, about 20 years ago, Maryland anti smoke crusaders got laws passed that made bars and restaurants do exactly that' segregate smoking sections AND install air change systems.

Not good enough said the Crusaders! We're off to Jerusalem and we won't stop until it is ours!
A non-smoking section in an open room is (as the joke goes) like a no-peeing section in a pool.

Actual sufficient ventilation would have made this a moot point.

I don't smoke, and I have no idea why anyone would want to. However, I don't care, it's the smoker's right to smoke. It's the worker's right to protection. Sufficient ventilation would have allowed everyone to have their rights. There's no good reason to ban smoking, just control the concentrations where people work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Studies, you want studies.

Here is a site with many studies. FORCES International - The Evidence - Second Hand (Passive)Smoke I guess that they are all BS in the mind of a anti-smoking Nazi.

Nice try, but I don't think all the studies, evidence and facts in the world will convince people that the propaganda they've been fed all these years is simply not true. They WANT to believe it.

Very similar to global warming. To me, anyone who buys into that crap is an idiot and not worth debating.