Something bugging me!!

J

justhangn

OK.........Kimmy, you have turned my stomach for the last time in this thread.

I wish you son MUCH luck in his future theropy!

yakky doodle

Hmm. Oprah, Jenny, Jerry ....

No, Dr. Phil ... of course, that's where I've heard this whole thing before. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, Kimmy, how old are you? Serious.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, Kimmy, don't you understand that you're making your son choose sides? And you're letting him make YOU choose sides?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Old Dog
But... your son is your son... he is not your husband's son. There is a tie, an understanding, a knowing that exists between you and your son that simply is not there between your son and your husband. There is no right or wrong to it... it just simply is. Sure such a tie might eventually happen between your son and your husband but it will take time.

And in the meantime... your son simply does not have the same respect for your husband when your husband tells him to do something that your son will have for you if you were the one telling him to do it. And your son is not going to respect your husband just because you tell him to. Every time your son is disrepectful to your husband (backtalking etc), you need to deal with it and you need to deal with it as a separate issue from what the disrespect was about.

When I was young, I was expected to respect ALL my elders, until they proved that they were otherwise unworthy of it.

Whether or not the man is a step dad or a biological dad, the son doesn't own the house. And thus, he should be expected to respect the house rules, and the person who makes those rules.

That being said, the bottom line to what is wrong with this situation is that the parents involved haven't worked out the rules, both in what is expected of the child and how he should be disciplined.

And never, ever should a parent undermine the authority of the other parent in front of the child. If one parent says something, it's gospel, and the second parent should back it up 100% at that time. Later, if one parent feels uncomfortable about the situation, it should be addressed between the two of them, and if the rules need to be changed, have a conference with all three parties and divulge that information and/or any needed apologies and why the rules have been changed.

I don't have any children, but I think any good parent/husband/wife will agree that parents have to back each other up, 100%, period, when it comes to laying down the law. If they don't, the child sees this as a sign of weakness and opportunity.

K

Kimmy

How am I making him choose sides? Just because I told him that if he did want to respect his father that he could go live with his other father and see how he likes that?

blueeyes76

Originally posted by Kimmy
Just because I told him that if he did want to respect his father that he could go live with his other father and see how he likes that?

Ok, how is that NOT making him choose?

K

Kain99

How am I making him choose sides? Just because I told him that if he did want to respect his father that he could go live with his other father and see how he likes that?

Kimmy.... Just log out and make an appointment already. :rolleyes:

Old Dog

He's 7... he shouldn't be made to feel responsible for such a situation. It is not within his control to choose where he will live... that responsibility lies with his parent. You implied that he had that authority/responsibility. In addition you implied that if he's a bad kid (not respecting his stepdad) that he should leave (thus indicating that you won't love him any more cause I figure at age 7 if your mom sends you away you're gonna think she doesn't love you). Plus you drew a very distinct line... on one side is you and his stepdad and on the other is his biodad... and if your son feels any love for his biodad at all (which I'm pretty close to willing to bet he does) then that right there splits his loyalties.

Take care,
Melody

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Last thing I'll post on this topic:

Kimmy, it's obvious that you have unresolved insecurities. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that your own father wasn't particularly involved in your growing up years. You're acting that out by shoving your husband away and not letting him be the male parent in your household and a full partner. You probably never saw how this works growing up so you have no idea how do it as an adult.

One word: counseling. It will help you come to terms with whatever it is that makes you resent men in general and fathers in particular. It made all the difference in the world with Larry and me - best $$$ I ever spent. Serious.

You are already important to your son. There's room for your husband to be important to him too without taking anything away from you. This is not a zero-sum game.

yakky doodle

:clap: for Sleuth. Good advice for a no-kid-having bachelor.

The situation is making me dizzy. Kimmy -- Point Blank, here it is: Stop making excuses for everyone and everything. You said you don't want your kids becoming Momma's Boys when they grow up, but your actions will produce just that.

Either decide if you want to co-parent or steer the ship yourself. If it's the latter, ask the passenger (your hubby) to disembark and move on.

All you are doing is confusing your kids with this back and forth. How is your son supposed to respect the guy when you don't seem to respect him yourself (at least, that's how it sounds to me).

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by yakky doodle
:clap: for Sleuth. Good advice for a no-kid-having bachelor.

Sweet! I was wondering if I'd ever say anything smart or profound around here. *L*

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Old Dog

You need to decide whether you want your husband raising your son with you. If you don't, then sit down and explain that to your husband. But your husband will still have the right to expect respect from your son and your husband will still have the right to the comfort of his own home.

In my opinion, how can you marry someone and not expect them to assist in raising the existing children? That will also pose an even larger problem when joint children come into the picture and have to listen to both parents in the household, while the others just have to listen to mom. Seems unreasonable to me - you either work as a family unit, or you aren't a family.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I adopted my ex-wife's son when he was nearly two years old.
Right at the beginning, a good friend gave me some invaluable advice: "Be a good friend, a good host, and lose all sense of self."

I never forgot that, and in spite of his parents' problems, turned into a really good kid. To this day he's my pride and joy, and probably the only real thing of substance I've ever accomplished!

K

Kimmy

Just to let you know that my father was there for me for everything and still is when I need him. He was the father figure to my son for 5 years too. My father is the greatest father in the world and a very well respected man to.

I have not done anything to my son to make him confused.
:mad: I love my son and would never do anything to hurt him. Just because I told him that if he did not like our living arrangement he could go live with his father who doesn't care. That makes me a bad mother? But it is okay for his step father to critize everything that he does wrong and to harp and harp about it. I think not. I guess everyone here is a perfect parent and has never done anything wrong? All that I asked for were some opinions about how to help my husband control the 7 year old and you want to tell me that I am the one with the problem?? I think the way I bring my kids up in perfectly good. We have structure at home. We have a schedule that we go by everyday. My kid is not perfect and all the I want is for the husband to treat him like a kid. If the husband is going to the samething the boy does what kind-of example is that setting. Daddy can do it why do I have to do it?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
It's not like he has to be reminded everyday of things that he didn't do. But if he slips up once oh boy look out. He listen's to everything that I tell him to do without any lip. But when my husband does it he back talks him. That is when I step in and he goes on and does what he has to do. I don't like to step in but if I don't then they sound like brothers fighting back and forth. I have a displine plan that I use and it is "Three Strike's and Your Out." First it a warning, Second is a talk, and Third is the good old butt wooping." I never ever get to the third one because the talk does the job. That is what I would like for my husband to do.

You and your husband need to have a serious discussion about how disciplining is going to be approached in the household. The child has to know that no matter which parents is enforcing the rule or imposing a punishment that it stands no matter what. And that means that you have to let each othe handle situations independently and trust each other's judgement. If you doubt your husband's ability to discipline and step in when your son is watching, your son is not going to respect your husband - and it sounds like that has already begun since he backtalks your hubby and not you. If you have a problem with a disciplinary action that your husband has taken on your son, talk to him about it later when the kids are NOT around and listening. That way you can discuss what you think was wrong, and agree on how to differently handle the situation next time. While you say your husband is too hard on your son, to me it sounds like he just isn't getting his point across in the correct manner. If your son and husband are fighting like brothers, there is obviously a problem that needs solving - and both your son and your husband need to recognize their roles. Your son has to know that when your husband tells him to do something that he needs to do it - end of story.

Old Dog

Originally posted by laureng
In my opinion, how can you marry someone and not expect them to assist in raising the existing children? That will also pose an even larger problem when joint children come into the picture and have to listen to both parents in the household, while the others just have to listen to mom. Seems unreasonable to me - you either work as a family unit, or you aren't a family.

In my case, DH said, and I believed him, that I was to be an equal parent... unfortunately he didn't really understand what that might mean and has since then fought pretty hard to get it to mean what he wants it to.

And you're right, you're either a family unit or you aren't. And if the two adults want the household to be a family unit, then the bioparent has got to negotiate some changes in childrearing with the stepparent.... or give up the notion of the "family unit".

Take care,
Melody

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Let me use an example of what happened last night. D was sitting at the table he was up to the table as far as he could go. He got a couple of noodles on his shirt and the H got so upset that he took the chair and pushed it up more. He was up as close as he could get and he pushed him up even more so that it put pressure on his stomach. He had to push himself out some because it hurt. He had his head over his plate as far as it could go. We have a booster chair but he is to big for it. He is a weird height right now so when he sits down he butt is not able to touch the back so he can sit up straight. Where is legs bend is causing him not to be able to sit up straight. He would have to sit with his legs straight out to sit up stragiht.

I see your point, but maybe you're just handling it wrong. If you think your husband is being too harsh in certain situations, you have to have a talk with him AWAY from the children. If you step in each time that your husband disciplines your son, your son, as I said before, won't take your husband seriously and will see him as the bad guy all the time.

Old Dog

Originally posted by Kimmy All that I asked for were some opinions about how to help my husband control the 7 year old and you want to tell me that I am the one with the problem??

A large part of your husband being able to control your 7yo son is in how you teach your son to interact with your husband. And so far as I can see, you're not responding to any of the advice you've gotten in that regard.

The only person you can truly control in this is yourself. What can you do differently? I think a lot of the advice you've been given has been directed to that point.

Take care,
Melody

blueeyes76

All that I asked for were some opinions about how to help my husband control the 7 year old and you want to tell me that I am the one with the problem??

It was your decision to post this problem of yours in a public forum. You asked for opinions and you got them. Maybe you should be a little more prepared next time.

For the record, I never said you were a bad mother or you were the one with the problem. I really think counseling is a GOOD idea for you and your husband.

I hope things work out for you and your family!