St. Mary's Teacher Charged With Sexual Assault

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Also, I did a quick fact check and HHS website said kids are FAR more likely to be molested by a relative or family friend than they are a stranger. I thought that was interesting.

I would say the sheer idea of being around relatives or family friends more as opposed to strangers makes this number go up?

ThayerP

Originally posted by Kain99
We all better hope so..... I for one am not convinced this is true.

Remember our famous serial killers. Were they sending out a vibe? :confused:

Yes, most probably they were. There are many "vibes" that are sent out for differeing reasons and if your not attuned to them you will not understand them. For example, there was a study done once on planes that crashed over the last 20 years and the number of passengers who decided at the gate to not board the plane. The percentage of people who did not board was considerably higher than on flights that had not crashed. This would be a vibe that people were attuned to and followed. Most people follw vibes without even realizing it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by RoseRed
:shrug: I'm insulted because he keeps using the "fvck" word.....
Me too. Make your point without profanity, please! It's hard to take people seriously when they have to cuss to get their point across.

SmallTown

Football season!
This is a tough pill to swallow but..... criminals sometimes, tend to be the most charming among us. :frown:

yep. When dahmer was telling little boys to come inside to get head, they never thought he meant it literally.

http

Originally posted by ThayerP
So they do trust the babysitter with the child. And this babysitter could be a child molester as well. If the child was molested would the parent feel victimized?

You have a very good point, one of the better ones on the board, especially over the last few posts (no offense to anyone).

Lets back up for a second. Yes, you are right the parents have the right to feel victimized in a situation like that. There are a few arguments going on here, and whether or not the parents should feel like a victim is not one that I particularly care to spend time on for the rest of the day.

Over the past few years there has been either an increasing number of child abuse cases, or the press is just getting good at reporting them. From au pere (sp) killings to shaken baby syndromes to kidnappings, yes you just can't trust anyone out here today, so in essence you kinda have to trust everyone.

I understand all that. What I am trying to get across is that just as in life, there are levels to everything. Having your child injured by a babysitter, one who may be used because you have no choice, for instance if you are a single parent, I can understand and understand how you can be a victim as a parent. But letting your child sleep over a teacher's house, NO MATTER WHAT is just poor discernment and bad judgement. There is NO reason a child should be sleeping over a teacher's house no matter what. One of the reasons that he may get dismissed from the BOD is that it is probably against policy for a teacher to allow a child to sleep over. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the parents were actually legally held responsible for negligence.

Look all this is all personal opinion. Especially since we don't have all the facts on the beginning of the story, we really can't argue this. I think the parents are idiots, that's all I'm saying, and you can't change my mind, not at this point.

Sorry

ThayerP

Originally posted by SmallTown
yep. When dahmer was telling little boys to come inside to get head, they never thought he meant it literally.
Very funny...
What he said was "to give me YOUR head..." They just weren't paying attention.

What I have always wondered was, how many people ran across Dahmer and had that feeling that caused them to avoid him?

http

Originally posted by Makavide
Just commenting on the fact that the way I was brought up was that the language you tend to use here (i.e., the repeated use of the word fvck) was a sign of ignorance and poor upbringing.

Ok, where "I was brought up", its not. Kay?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
I would say the sheer idea of being around relatives or family friends more as opposed to strangers makes this number go up?
I would suspect it's because we warn our kids repeatedly about strangers, but don't think to warn them about family members or friends. There's also a trust factor - predators will have a hard time convincing some kid that's never seen them before. But a friend or family member already has that trust so it's easier to convince the kid to not tell.

Anyway, I've always told my girls that if ANYONE EVER makes you feel uncomfortable, you come tell me so I can take care of it. And when they say they don't like Uncle so-and-so, I perk up and ask why instead of just fluffing it off.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by http
There are a few arguments going on here, and whether or not the parents should feel like a victim is not one that I particularly care to spend time on for the rest of the day.

There is more honor in saying, I concede. :razz:

http

Originally posted by Makavide
If that is the only criteria you and your friend use to hire a babysitter, then this child is in danger. If the child decides jumping off the roof makes him happy then your babysitter will allow it? The who is to blame for the broken legs - don't expect it to be the babysitter, you guys wanted the child happy.

The babysitters I hire tend to concern themselves with what will keep the child safe.

That's fine, I'm not her, I'm sure she has more complicated criteria and higher expectations for her babysitting personnelle. That's not why I simplified this point. I simplified the point to illustrated that there is NO reason a child should be over a teacher's house. There is no criteria, there should be no expectations and he should not be hired for anything. Get it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by ThayerP
What I have always wondered was, how many people ran across Dahmer and had that feeling that caused them to avoid him?
Probably a lot. Then there those, like my dipstick daughter, who "don't want to be rude". So they become victims. That's what we're working on now with the girls after our last little scare.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Okay, I'll add my two cents here. Personally, my kid wanting to spend the night with any of his school teachers would raise HUGE red flag for me, as well as any teacher willing to have my kid over for a sleepover. But that's just me. On the other side of the coin, I had a family member take some troubled kid under his wing and he used to come over and spend the night, weekends etc. with no funny business going on. I guess you just never know.

I keep my kids pretty close under my wing and would NEVER let either of them spend the night at a teacher's house, or even a friends house that I didn't know the parent's. Maybe I'm paranoid, but everyone's a pedophile until they prove to me otherwise. :lol: I know I can't shield my kids 100%, but I try and get as close to that # as I can.

ThayerP

Originally posted by http
Over the past few years there has been either an increasing number of child abuse cases, or the press is just getting good at reporting them. From au pere (sp) killings to shaken baby syndromes to kidnappings, yes you just can't trust anyone out here today, so in essence you kinda have to trust everyone.

I understand all that. What I am trying to get across is that just as in life, there are levels to everything. Having your child injured by a babysitter, one who may be used because you have no choice, for instance if you are a single parent, I can understand and understand how you can be a victim as a parent. But letting your child sleep over a teacher's house, NO MATTER WHAT is just poor discernment and bad judgement. There is NO reason a child should be sleeping over a teacher's house no matter what. One of the reasons that he may get dismissed from the BOD is that it is probably against policy for a teacher to allow a child to sleep over. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the parents were actually legally held responsible for negligence.

Look all this is all personal opinion. Especially since we don't have all the facts on the beginning of the story, we really can't argue this. I think the parents are idiots, that's all I'm saying, and you can't change my mind, not at this point.

Sorry

True. We don't have all the facts on the case. So in the USA where a person is innocent until PROVEN guilty in a COURT OF LAW (not in a police station when a confession is given) we owe it to all parties to wait until the facts are presented until a judgement is made. Do we know, for example, if this man had any children of the same age as this kid. Maybe the reason he was spending the night there was to hang out with the son of the molestor. Did the parents have an emergency that needed to be attended to and had no place to send the boy foir the night while this was handled. Any number of perfectly logical explanations could have come into play to place that boy in the house on an overnight with the molestor. Life is not always so cut and dry as to say the parents were at fault because they allowed the boy to be put into harms way. We should wait and see what the remaining facts of the case are.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Anyway, I've always told my girls that if ANYONE EVER makes you feel uncomfortable, you come tell me so I can take care of it. And when they say they don't like Uncle so-and-so, I perk up and ask why instead of just fluffing it off.

If Uncle so and so is putting off vibes why didn't you catch it? You're a diligent parent. The whole vibe theroy is just not as simple as we'd all love it to be.

http

There is more honor in saying, I concede. :razz:

Oh no, I don't concede. I just don't think its really all that important. This whole side-thread on "victimization" came from me attacking you I believe, who first brought up the concept. I just wanted to let you know, on the side, that I didn't think the parents were victims, that's all. I could actually care less, it doesn't mean anything. I just wanted to put my 2cents in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The parents may just be pieces of crap that are so ate up with their own lives they'd just farm their kid out to anyone. But they could also be victims in the sense that they trusted someone who betrayed them in a very vile way. It's fairly normal to turn to a favorite teacher as a mentor in times of crisis.

Anyway, the only way this incident will give ALL teachers a black eye is if the BOE sweeps it under the rug and protects the teacher. Which is what it appears they're doing.

ThayerP

The other thing that people here seem to be failing to understand from this article is that the boy was 15 and the teacher was an elementary school teacher. That would seem to indicate that the "teacher" was not a current teachre of the boy. He was a former teacher, who had done some councilling for the boy (which is common in the schools) about difficulties in the home. During this, he may have had the parent(s) in to discuss issues with the boy. The parents and teacher apparently became friends and knew each other for quite a while (student gets out of elem school at say 11, was 15 when this happened). So this was not just some teacher that the student haas only known since the start of the school yera. He had transitioned into more of a close family friend. Now look at it in that light. Should the parents haave had any concern?