Tuesday

What are you going to do Tuesday?

• I'm going to DC to be a part of it all

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I'm not going but will be glued to the TV

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • It's just another day for me. Nutin' special

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • I think I will lock myself in the bedroom that day and mourn. It's a sad day for America!

Votes: 26 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetprincess23

But what gets missed is that our lack of interest in "change" has nothing to do with Obama's skin color. If you're a conservative and believe in conservative principles, you aren't going to be interested in Obama regardless of WHAT color he is.

And I will hand you Mike Steele as a perfect example of how that works on the other side. Most conservatives are crazy about this guy and would love to see him make a run at President. Liberals, not so much. Does that mean liberals are racist?

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss. The only "change" about Obama is that he's a black guy. Otherwise he's just another liberal Democrat.

You are correct conservative voters wouldn't be interested in Obama because of his principles. I have never said anyone on here is racist (though i do think a few are, not based on Obama comments alone but just random posts that are made) I wouldn't expect a conservative person to change their stance on gay marriages, divorce laws, pro choice, etc because conservatives generally will fight for there cause till the day they die.

It isn't just that Obama is black that makes the big "change" it is the fact that congress is mostly democrats now and we have a democrat president now (will have). The change the democrats will bring isn't just about race but the views and principles that the democrats have. I feel it is time for change with gay rights, we need to get out of iraq, i don't want a bunch of republicans telling me I can't have an abortion. Unfortuntaly for conservatives the change i am looking for is against everything they may stand for. Next election get a better candidate.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I did however cast a vote for Allen Keyes way back when he was trying his hand at the presidential run.

IF any of the accusers of this thread really read the majority of political discourse in the Political forum they would know that many of the conservatives who post in that forum & have posted in this thread - have supported/voted for Alan Keyes, Michael Steele, et. al.

It's not about Black or White. They know it and need to find a clue.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
we need to get out of iraq, i don't want a bunch of republicans telling me I can't have an abortion. .
Obama supports the timetable for withdrawal negoiated by the current administration (no change)
Have you had a lot of abortions? Are you planning on some in the future?

sweetprincess23

Obama supports the timetable for withdrawal negoiated by the current administration (no change)
Have you had a lot of abortions? Are you planning on some in the future?

if i felt the need to have an abortion than i don't want my right taken away. This isn't about if I have had one or plan on having one. Is there somewhere in the consitution that says we can't have one? Conservatives are so pro-gun and fight for there rights and throw the constitution into the gun arguements but don't think about it for abortions or gay marriages do they? Other than religious purposes what is it about gays and abortion that are so wrong?

sweetprincess23

back to the reason of this thread, I can not go tuesday because I have to work and I hate the cold. I don't care how much i might support something my body physically can't handle the cold. So i will be checking in every so often on how things are going.

But, i am going to DC tonight to party with all the out of towners. The parties started on Friday. Can't wait for tonight, I think it will be great. I will let everyone know how it is. The type of people to expect on Tuesday and the general feeling and safety issues that could come up.

Nupe2

back to the reason of this thread, I can not go tuesday because I have to work and I hate the cold. I don't care how much i might support something my body physically can't handle the cold. So i will be checking in every so often on how things are going.

But, i am going to DC tonight to party with all the out of towners. The parties started on Friday. Can't wait for tonight, I think it will be great. I will let everyone know how it is. The type of people to expect on Tuesday and the general feeling and safety issues that could come up.

Have fun! I went to a really classy party on the Hill last night. Good time was had by all! I will probably catch the festivities on the tube as well. Some of my family will be walking over but I don't do cold either and have a bum leg right now so....

Again, have fun and be safe! :buddies:

Bann

PREMO Member
I believe your statement is an argument of the specific vs. the general. My comment was based on a general observation of the relatively recent history of this country. To argue from your perspective, I offer the following specifics:

I am a bit older (54). I do remember being called a n****r on the first day of first grade in 1960 (at a Catholic School in DC) and being called the same on my first day of school at Bishop McNamara in 1968. I also remember not being able to shop in Garfinkel's in DC and my mother refusing to take me on the trolley cars in DC (yes they had them in the early 60s) because we had to sit in the back. I also remember packing food for our trips to my grandparents in Virginia and pulling to the side of the road to use the bathroom because we could not get service or use restrooms along the way. I could go on but you should get the picture. Things have changed Vrai, and your failure to acknowledge or admit that is sad.

As far as recognition of Mr. Obama's accomplishments, every 4 years prior to this, we have celebrated the accomplishments of a select few white men. They were elected President of the United States! I'd say that was a pretty large and impressive feat for which they have been duly recognized, and in the same manner as Mr. Obama. The only apparent difference at this point is the outpouring of people and emotions associated with this election. This is a celebration of hope for America and is the result of a fair election and peaceful transition of power. Why do you have a problem giving Mr. Obama his due?

I can honestly say that in my experience (I'll be 50 in May) my dad was in the military, so race was treated differently. I spent over 5 years (My father was able to get 2 tours of duty consecutively) overseas during some of our nation's most recent turbulent times (67-72) and I missed a lot of what went on in this country. I really do not have any personal recollections of the racial issues during that time. We didn't even have a TV in our home overseas during that time - it was radio & newspapers, magazines, and other similar media that we got our news from.

I have family from the north and from the deep south and I know there were definite differences that took place. However, I have to say, that in my immediate family,(which is all I can speak to) we weren't raised with a racial bias. We didn't use the "n-word" (actually, we weren't even allowed to say stupid, idiot, butthole, etc., etc.) and if we had, we'd have had our mouths washed out with soap by my mother.

After I moved back to the states, I lived in Norfolk, VA and there was a lot of racial tension at that time. (1972) And there was a lot of it when I moved to this area in 1974. In 1975, my maternal grandmother died, and we went down to Mobile, AL. I remember having a "rude awakening" type of moment. My grandfather had purchased an old gas station as a hobby shop/store & we had gone there to hang out with him one day. I had to use the restroom. He told me where they were & I went around outside the building to find 3 of them. I was so naive that I asked my grandfather why there were 3 bathrooms. I had no idea and it never occurred to me why there were. Yes, I knew about the history of our country. But I was very removed from it by having lived overseas all that time. And, I believe, because I WASN'T RAISED in a "racist" home.

Bann

PREMO Member
Well, things were a bit different where I come from. Black kids didn't take the bus - they walked to school with everyone else because they lived in our same neighborhood. That's right - our neighborhoods weren't segregated, either.

But I also didn't grow up on the east coast - I grew up in the midwest, where racism apparently wasn't as prevalent. Larry tells stories about growing up in Laurel that I can't relate to, having never experienced anything like that.

And, again, I find it hard to believe that my hometown is the ONLY place where different races coexisted without strife and nobody thought a thing of it.

:cheers:

Bann

PREMO Member
Let me get this straight...

He didn't win an election but was simply "given" the position?

The Presidency is "given" based on the "ability to learn?"

He doesn't have clue what to do?

Do you remember the election of 2000? :killingme:

sweetprincess23

I can honestly say that in my experience (I'll be 50 in May) my dad was in the military, so race was treated differently. I spent over 5 years (My father was able to get 2 tours of duty consecutively) overseas during some of our nation's most recent turbulent times (67-72) and I missed a lot of what went on in this country. I really do not have any personal recollections of the racial issues during that time. We didn't even have a TV in our home overseas during that time - it was radio & newspapers, magazines, and other similar media that we got our news from.

I have family from the north and from the deep south and I know there were definite differences that took place. However, I have to say, that in my immediate family,(which is all I can speak to) we weren't raised with a racial bias. We didn't use the "n-word" (actually, we weren't even allowed to say stupid, idiot, butthole, etc., etc.) and if we had, we'd have had our mouths washed out with soap by my mother.

After I moved back to the states, I lived in Norfolk, VA and there was a lot of racial tension at that time. (1972) And there was a lot of it when I moved to this area in 1974. In 1975, my maternal grandmother died, and we went down to Mobile, AL. I remember having a "rude awakening" type of moment. My grandfather had purchased an old gas station as a hobby shop/store & we had gone there to hang out with him one day. I had to use the restroom. He told me where they were & I went around outside the building to find 3 of them. I was so naive that I asked my grandfather why there were 3 bathrooms. I had no idea and it never occurred to me why there were. Yes, I knew about the history of our country. But I was very removed from it by having lived overseas all that time. And, I believe, because I WASN'T RAISED in a "racist" home.

You are lucky to not have been raised in a racist home. I do feel that racial tensions and issues have gotten better but not disappeared. I do agree that racism is a problem from all races. Blacks can be just as racist as whites and asians can be racists also, etc. Unfortunatly i have indured racism from my own white community. As I have stated before I date black men though I think this time i might find me a Rican, lol. About two years ago i was traveling through South Carolina with my boyfriend and the rest of his black family (about 12- 15 of us) on our way to Disney. Early one morning we stopped at a breakfast place not a small town dinner but a place like Denny's or Ihop not sure of the name. When we walked in we got the worst looks, I hate to say it but I got the worst. They looked at me as though I was a traitor to the whites. My water was spit in, a lady slammed the door to the bathroom in my face, and i heard the N word several times under their breaths. I didn't even order food because I didn't trust them. I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life, and I go to bars where i am the minority (only white person inside), i go to black friends family reunions, etc and have never felt such hate against me as I did in south carolina.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well, things were a bit different where I come from. Black kids didn't take the bus - they walked to school with everyone else because they lived in our same neighborhood. That's right - our neighborhoods weren't segregated, either.

But I also didn't grow up on the east coast - I grew up in the midwest, where racism apparently wasn't as prevalent. Larry tells stories about growing up in Laurel that I can't relate to, having never experienced anything like that.

And, again, I find it hard to believe that my hometown is the ONLY place where different races coexisted without strife and nobody thought a thing of it.
Between the late 60s and early 80s, I went to schools in Laurel, Colorado Springs, and in Washington Cty MD. None (incl Laurel) of the schools were segregated nor were the neighborhoods we lived in, except in Washington County we lived on a farm and the black families we knew were from closer to Hagerstwon. In Colorado Springs, they did bus black kids to the school from the downtown area.

Status
Not open for further replies.